Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

I played with this for the past few months. It's REALLY impressive what you built here. Congratulations on the release!

There's a few rough edges here and there, but that will iron itself out I trust. I'm hooked on this one!

I am also very impressed. Very usable, very deep and complete, very good presets, very easy. Add free and open source so... 10/10.

am I right there's no preset browser, but have to load each one seperately?
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

Jbravo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:38 pm am I right there's no preset browser, but have to load each one seperately?
sorry, but unfortunately there *is* a preset library :)

have a look here:

muki wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:21 pm
Jbravo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:38 pm am I right there's no preset browser, but have to load each one seperately?
sorry, but unfortunately there *is* a preset library :)
ah yes, there it is :) I thought there was one having used it a while ago but couldn't see it

:dog: :lol:

thanks for including my presets btw :wink:
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

teilo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:28 pm The only rough spot I have found is the Retrigger implementation and how it interacts with envelopes. It's nearly impossible to avoid clicks with its current implementation.
Wait, isn't this supposed to be happening with Retrigger? I could of course use two voices, alternate between them and give the envelopes ~10 samples shutdown time or something.

But the way I see it, even analog mono-synths would produce clicks when hard retriggering the voice?
(Although killing a digital ADSR like this introduces aliasing...)

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:54 pm
teilo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:28 pm The only rough spot I have found is the Retrigger implementation and how it interacts with envelopes. It's nearly impossible to avoid clicks with its current implementation.
Wait, isn't this supposed to be happening with Retrigger? I could of course use two voices, alternate between them and give the envelopes ~10 samples shutdown time or something.

But the way I see it, even analog mono-synths would produce clicks when hard retriggering the voice?
(Although killing a digital ADSR like this introduces aliasing...)
Nope. Ever heard a MOOG or a Matrix-Brute click? It's not about using a second voice. It's about how you transition from one envelope to the next. Other monosynths soft-synths out there do not have this problem.

teilo wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:57 pm Nope. Ever heard a MOOG or a Matrix-Brute click? It's not about using a second voice. It's about how you transition from one envelope to the next. Other monosynths soft-synths out there do not have this problem.
So what do they do? You have to somehow get the envelope from the current value to the start of the Attack, that is zero.

In mono mode, you wouldn't start from zero, but from current phase in the envelope.

Surge has the same issue (not yet fixed), but see the waveform: https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/824

A proper analog envelope never restarts from 0 when using the same voice. This is how you get no click :) But even if you want to restart from 0, introduce a small crossfade that takes care of the click.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:07 pm In mono mode, you wouldn't start from zero, but from current phase in the envelope.

Surge has the same issue (not yet fixed), but see the waveform: https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/824

A proper analog envelope never restarts from 0 when using the same voice. This is how you get no click :) But even if you want to restart from 0, introduce a small crossfade that takes care of the click.
Haha, remember when you wrote me about the Legato issue, where the envelope starts Attack from that value, instead of continuing the current section?

If I am not mistaken, this is exactly how Retrigger is supposed to be working? :lol:

Legato modes isn't supposed to retrigger any envelopes on overlapping note ons, that's the difference. You had a bug where it actually did retrigger them, but that's resolved now. :) Retrigger mode obviously should retrigger envelopes at any note on, but when it does, they should retrigger from current envelope value, not 0. :)

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:38 pm Legato modes isn't supposed to retrigger any envelopes on overlapping note ons, that's the difference. You had a bug where it actually did retrigger them, but that's resolved now. :) Retrigger mode obviously should retrigger envelopes at any note on, but when it does, they should retrigger from current envelope value, not 0. :)
Yeah, but the behaviour shown then in Legato is exactly what is supposed to be happening with Retrig mode now.

I.e. fix shouldn't be too hard! :)

Well with the only difference that in legato mode the envelope just continues through no matter how many overlapping notes you press.

This is actually a pretty impressive synth , I am still not completely convinced about the filters ,especially the filter saturation which seems to be a regular post filter waveshaper/sat effect ... , an overdriven filter actually attenuates the resonance .
On the other hand , I can understand the decision because when done right (like in Talmod ) people will complain that the filter overdrive sounds weak ( because they expect regular overdrive/saturation) :lol:
For a freebee it is amazing
The only thing missing is a phase distortion osc ( since it's inspired by thor )
The audio rate modulation is top notch :tu:

edit: the drive in reason's thor ladder filter was not a post filter shaper but was an internal filter overdrive
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

TheWaveWarden wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:16 pm
YoddYarmonics wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:10 am cant be bothered with more scrolling. so quick question: how does one turn off keytrackin? -100 note value modulation for each osc?
There's built in way to do it. What you proposed will probably work with some value. Its probably not 100, you'll have to figure it out. Also use Osc Pitch Exponential, not Linear as the destination!
How do I access the built in way to do it?
find free samples and presets at
:troll: https://fatpassfilter.com

Return to “Instruments”