TX16Wx as instant sampler, 2 issues I'm noticing

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you for the TX16Wx first of all, it's exactly what I was looking for. It allows me to sing into a mic, hold down a key (that I've set to trigger recording) for a short time and then play that recording as a sample across the keyboard, pitch-mapped and all. Incredible!

Now I'm trying to find a solution to these problems:
1. This is almost a show stopper and the biggest issue. TX16Wx doesn't seem to start recording if the window is minimized. The only way for me to trigger sampling and immediately play is if the plug-in window is open. I can kind of work around this by having all windows open and move them to a different screen but this will become an issue when using the plug-in live where additional screens become a hassle.
2. This one is also major. I can't find an option to empty the waves from memory using a MIDI key or external control, only with several mouse clicks in the plug-in GUI. I've tried loading several identical performances and programs all preset with the options that allow for this instant sampling workflow but it seems as if the buttons required for this to work don't stay enabled when switching. By this I mean the buttons for automatically detecting pitch, mapping, triggering record on MIDI note # etc. Either a dedicated function that clears all waves from memory (that can be triggered by a MIDI note #) or having the sampling buttons persist when switching performances/programs, either way works for me. This way I don't have to have multiple instances layered on the same track and switching between them if I want to for example re-sing a pad sound.
3. This one is not necessary but makes making certain sounds easier. I can't seem to make TX16Wx apply a crossfade when sampling this way without going in and adjusting with the mouse. Just like there are buttons to automatically detect pitch and map across the keyboard I'd like to request an option to automatically apply a crossfade.

If there's anything I've overlooked describing these issues that's already addressed in the manual then I'll gladly RTFM again. Only reason I'm writing these out is because I couldn't find anything in my 2 days working with TX16Wx. It won over my heart with loop chopping already but this instant sampling is what would truly seal the deal. I'm happy to buy the Pro version if it means I'd be able to use it in this way. Thank you again for offering this plug-in!

I am not sure that "instant sampling" means, but given the context below I am assuming you mean what we used to call "performance sampling", i.e. interactively sampling and using the result immediately - like some of the pedal combo tools some artists use.
I can already say that there are no real facilities for this in TX. Nor has it at all been a design goal to have it.
NKirn93 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:09 pm Thank you for the TX16Wx first of all, it's exactly what I was looking for. It allows me to sing into a mic, hold down a key (that I've set to trigger recording) for a short time and then play that recording as a sample across the keyboard, pitch-mapped and all. Incredible!

Now I'm trying to find a solution to these problems:
1. This is almost a show stopper and the biggest issue. TX16Wx doesn't seem to start recording if the window is minimized. The only way for me to trigger sampling and immediately play is if the plug-in window is open. I can kind of work around this by having all windows open and move them to a different screen but this will become an issue when using the plug-in live where additional screens become a hassle.
Indeed. This is a design feature/decision. Imho, sampling is an interactive operation, so the sampler itself (as in recorder) only exist when the UI is open.
This is not 100% required, logic/code/structure wise, but given that sampling is very tied to the slot it is contained in, and interactive post-ops, I am somewhat unsure what the real use case for sampling in the background is.

I get the idea of recording and playing back immediacy , but given how things work with auto layout, it is not exactly obvious how this would be truly usable as a performance tool (it certainly is not designed to be).
NKirn93 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:09 pm 2. This one is also major. I can't find an option to empty the waves from memory using a MIDI key or external control, only with several mouse clicks in the plug-in GUI. I've tried loading several identical performances and programs all preset with the options that allow for this instant sampling workflow but it seems as if the buttons required for this to work don't stay enabled when switching. By this I mean the buttons for automatically detecting pitch, mapping, triggering record on MIDI note # etc. Either a dedicated function that clears all waves from memory (that can be triggered by a MIDI note #) or having the sampling buttons persist when switching performances/programs, either way works for me. This way I don't have to have multiple instances layered on the same track and switching between them if I want to for example re-sing a pad sound.
Pretty much what I was saying yes.
TX16Wx does not have any MIDI control over UI operations. While my 80's and 90's tech soul mourns this, it unfortunately fits poorly with the whole "unlimited slots, not tied to specific MIDI channels", etc. I.e. how you would map operations to MIDI keys in a useful/intuitive/consistent manner quickly becomes somewhat ambiguous.
NKirn93 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:09 pm 3. This one is not necessary but makes making certain sounds easier. I can't seem to make TX16Wx apply a crossfade when sampling this way without going in and adjusting with the mouse. Just like there are buttons to automatically detect pitch and map across the keyboard I'd like to request an option to automatically apply a crossfade.
How? What would the criteria be? Auto looping is fairly fishy in itself, but it basically boils down to a correlation algorithm. But cross fading is a bit more subjective - you can technically apply the same correlation criteria as when looping, but otoh I _really_ don't recommend using cross fading unless required. Set up loops correctly (probably manually) instead.
Otoh, could of course add a "add x% crossfade always" option, but I am unsure on the user case, and the size of target group.
NKirn93 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:09 pm If there's anything I've overlooked describing these issues that's already addressed in the manual then I'll gladly RTFM again. Only reason I'm writing these out is because I couldn't find anything in my 2 days working with TX16Wx. It won over my heart with loop chopping already but this instant sampling is what would truly seal the deal. I'm happy to buy the Pro version if it means I'd be able to use it in this way. Thank you again for offering this plug-in!
Honestly, while I can think of a possible work flow for performance sampling, I am not really sure I think the TX is a good vessel for it. It is built for workstation use, and performance playback. The fact that you have all the undo and other things make, for example, doing things wholly in the "background" (separate from UI) very complex. And as you pointed out, the lack of MIDI control over certain things don't help.

To me, a performance sampler would perhaps be better served by being a single-channel plug-in (without undo), that simply samples, lays out, and has assignable MIDI keys for all/most ops? I.e. bypass all the complexity that makes TX great for making instruments, and focus more on a specific workflow?
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

I understand. TX16Wx just seemed to be the first sampler VST that I came across that could sample, detect pitch and lay it out on the keyboard so quickly. If you're aware of any other that could do this please let me know.

I'm using the sample on MIDI note # function to sample a short snippet of a voice or other instrument and using that as an oscillator that gets fed into some FX chains that turn that sample into a pad, bass etc. If you had several instances loaded in a project with a unique note # to trigger the recording process you'd quickly be able to create sounds. It's relatively trivial to do this for drums and other atonal sounds in other Vsts but TX16Wx is the only one I've found that can do the same for tonal material because of its pitch detection. However it gets tricky because the window needs to remain open and I can't really clear the sounds in a fast manner.

If my idea conflicts with the spirit of the plugin then I'll try and find something else for this purpose. As I said it's still useful for chopping samples and I'll keep using it for that.

NKirn93 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:32 pm If my idea conflicts with the spirit of the plugin then I'll try and find something else for this purpose. As I said it's still useful for chopping samples and I'll keep using it for that.
May I suggest that Crossfadeloop Synth by Expert Sleepers would be an interesting solution to live sampling.

Return to “CWITEC”