matrix tutorial?

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can point me to a walkthrough for creating/mapping matrices. I'm a drummer that has been manually doing velocity faded region mapping, and I think matrices would be a great time saver, but i cannot figure out how to use them. Help?

Tx,

Declan

First, feel free to skim the manual. It is explained at least to some degree there.
Matrices are grids of samples, with each axis using selectable sources for determining which cell is triggered on a note-on.
A typical use for drums (for which matrices is more or less designed) is to use velocity for y-axis, to select velocity layer samples, then use either round-robin or a modulator or Midi CC to select variations thereof, mapped across the X-axis.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Thanks for the prompt reply! I have read the manual and I get the basic concept, just having trouble with the implementation. Do I use a Matrix INSTEAD of a Region? Or do I map the matrix to a region? When I drag a matrix into the Region mapping window, i can't seem to get any sound out of it - either with a midi controller or using the on-screen keyboard. No output signal is showing on the sampler's output bus. The matrix does have some waves assigned, with X = LFO (where is this LFO controlled?) and Y = velocity.

And is the Round Robin tool inside TX16Wx or triggered via CC#?

Thanks again for such a great tool - really a nice product!

dh

A region maps either a sample, a matrix or a synth oscillator. Think of a matrix as a "switched" sample. It allows you to package velocity and round-robin switching in a reusable entity, and without having to use group switching.
If your matrix does not play, share your program and I can probably tell you what is wrong.
All modulation sources are the modulator for the triggered voice, as defined in the sound parameter block connected to the mapping group.
Round robin is literally a non-controlled value, i.e. it goes round-robin. You have trigger counters on voice, matrix, program etc levels (selectable for group switch/matrices), that will increment on each note-on trigger matching the mapping. This value (modulo your triggerable count) is what drives which cell will be triggered in the case of a matrix axis being attached to it.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Return to “CWITEC”