Wavetable Blowout: Massive X vs Avenger vs Serum vs Icarus vs Pigments...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

pixel85 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:24 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:34 pm
pixel85 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:23 pm I really would like to hear music of those who can't live without WT import option in synth. They must do original sounds that nobody else ever did. Otherwise it would be a pointless rant if they use WT import just to make sounds that can be done without this feature :ud:
Here... I did this in Vital. For me, one of the main points of wavetable synthesis is I can use/create my own wavetables to do specific things.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/Vital-Vocal-1.mp3
Cool sound indeed. I would be too lazy to create my own Wavetables (I don't mean importing 1 sample - that much I can do ;) )
Various wavetable synths can import and resynthesize audio into a wavetable. It's not exactly difficult. Vital has a text to wavetable function. Some wavetable synths you can import/draw a starting wave and ending wave and create the morphing frames inbetween. Hive has the Uhm scripts.

I find various of these techniques actually easier/faster than scrolling through and trying various wavetables in a closed synth like MX in order to get close to what I have in mind. Same with a synth which has thousands of presets. I can often create what I want faster from init that hunting through tons of presets looking for something that fits what I want.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:27 pm Various wavetable synths can import and resynthesize audio into a wavetable. It's not exactly difficult. Vital has a text to wavetable function. Some wavetable synths you can import/draw a starting wave and ending wave and create the morphing frames inbetween. Hive has the Uhm scripts.
Interesting. That would be indeed an easy way. I never really cared about it because so far, all synths that I have are giving me all what I want (and more), from music to sound for games. For example, original Massive many times saved me from "effort" of going out and doing foley recordings - I cheated by doing these sounds in MX :D So I really never felt that I need to have/use Wavetable import function.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:34 pm
pixel85 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:23 pm I really would like to hear music of those who can't live without WT import option in synth. They must do original sounds that nobody else ever did. Otherwise it would be a pointless rant if they use WT import just to make sounds that can be done without this feature :ud:
Here... I did this in Vital. For me, one of the main points of wavetable synthesis is I can use/create my own wavetables to do specific things.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/Vital-Vocal-1.mp3
That is seriously COOL! :tu:

Looking forward to playing with Vital, as I too very much enjoy making my own wavetables, for ages. ... (nod to VAZ)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Is anyone else getting really... weird... behavior with Vital's filters when resonance is cranked up to 100%? For me, I just get a steady droning sine at the cutoff, which isn't affected by anything the envelopes do. Sometimes I have to play a note to trigger it, other times it just starts droning without any gate-on as soon as I adjust the resonance to 100%.

Dallas_Cashin wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:39 pm Is anyone else getting really... weird... behavior with Vital's filters when resonance is cranked up to 100%? For me, I just get a steady droning sine at the cutoff, which isn't affected by anything the envelopes do. Sometimes I have to play a note to trigger it, other times it just starts droning without any gate-on as soon as I adjust the resonance to 100%.
I just tested this and am not seeing your results. Works as expected for me. I'm using OSX version

pdxindy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:24 am
Dallas_Cashin wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:39 pm Is anyone else getting really... weird... behavior with Vital's filters when resonance is cranked up to 100%? For me, I just get a steady droning sine at the cutoff, which isn't affected by anything the envelopes do. Sometimes I have to play a note to trigger it, other times it just starts droning without any gate-on as soon as I adjust the resonance to 100%.
I just tested this and am not seeing your results. Works as expected for me. I'm using OSX version
Interesting. I'm on the latest Windows version (1.03), and this happens in both Cakewalk and Reaper, so I'm pretty sure it's not a DAW issue. Maybe Windows-only, then?

I am also having weird issues with filter resonance in Vital. It basically doesn't work at all. TBH, I'm pretty unimpressed by Vital overall. The mod matrix feels like an afterthought and you have to constantly switch between it and the main interface to modulate anything. I'm glad I waited for the free version because I'd be annoyed if I paid for something that is ultimately quite basic.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Dallas_Cashin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:28 am
pdxindy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:24 am
Interesting. I'm on the latest Windows version (1.03), and this happens in both Cakewalk and Reaper, so I'm pretty sure it's not a DAW issue. Maybe Windows-only, then?
I'm also on 1.0.3... so yeah, maybe windows only

BONES wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:59 am I am also having weird issues with filter resonance in Vital. It basically doesn't work at all. TBH, I'm pretty unimpressed by Vital overall. The mod matrix feels like an afterthought and you have to constantly switch between it and the main interface to modulate anything. I'm glad I waited for the free version because I'd be annoyed if I paid for something that is ultimately quite basic.
You hardly need to use the Mod Matrix... Modulation is all Drag-n-Drop. The only thing you need the Mod Matrix for is if you are applying a Mod Curve. Otherwise everything can be done in the main view.

I hate D'n'D, I like to do things properly. It's not easily discoverable, like a dedicated Envelope knob in the filter section, for example. Presonus carry on about it all the time with Studio One but I hardly ever use it and not knowing it was there in Vital was just another thing that made my first experience with the product quite poor.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:20 am I hate D'n'D, I like to do things properly. It's not easily discoverable, like a dedicated Envelope knob in the filter section, for example. Presonus carry on about it all the time with Studio One but I hardly ever use it and not knowing it was there in Vital was just another thing that made my first experience with the product quite poor.
Do things properly? WTF does that mean? Drag and drop modulation is about as intuitive, simple, and efficient as it gets. You prefer a more arduous workflow just for sake of complexity?

I guess its just different people with different backgrounds, maybe if you come from the hardware synth world, or a lot of soft-synths modeled after hardware, this might seem a bit alien and awkward for you, but in the realm of software synthesis, workflows like these are the future, and there are reasons for that.

Jkist wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:06 am
BONES wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:20 am I hate D'n'D, I like to do things properly. It's not easily discoverable, like a dedicated Envelope knob in the filter section, for example. Presonus carry on about it all the time with Studio One but I hardly ever use it and not knowing it was there in Vital was just another thing that made my first experience with the product quite poor.
Do things properly? WTF does that mean? Drag and drop modulation is about as intuitive, simple, and efficient as it gets. You prefer a more arduous workflow just for sake of complexity?
Exactly! I'm on KVR since 2009 and I've read hundreds of threads on this forum but I've never seen somebody complaining about drag'n'drop modulation until now. I really don't get it. D'n'D is by far the best way to do modulation. Super easy, fast and intuitive.

Vast Dynamics Vaporizer2 isn't mentioned yet, me thinks. i shall make a list..

BONES wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:59 am I am also having weird issues with filter resonance in Vital. It basically doesn't work at all.
Vital's filter resonance right now is sort of glitchy overall. I suspect (haven't really delved into frequency analysis or anything, just going with gut hunches) Vital is just adding a sine wave on top of things, rather than proper mathematically-modelled self-resonance. If done right, this method of doing things is perfectly-fine and ear-acceptable and saves on CPU, but... Vital is not doing it right.
KTlin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:20 am
Jkist wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:06 am
Exactly! I'm on KVR since 2009 and I've read hundreds of threads on this forum but I've never seen somebody complaining about drag'n'drop modulation until now. I really don't get it. D'n'D is by far the best way to do modulation. Super easy, fast and intuitive.
I definitely can't fault Vital for not cluttering up the main GUI with a mod matrix, but just to be devil's advocate here, generally the quickest way of figuring out what's going on, modulation-wise, is looking at a matrix view. Mod matrix also makes it simple to assign sources that don't have tangible controls in the GUI (aftertouch, oscillator output when doing FM/AM, etc), though of course you can always do this with a right-click menu.

I think the way Vital handles this right now is basically okay, though what sucks is that if you click something in the mod matrix, you get a pop-up window that, as far as I can tell, won't close unless you either select something or close the whole GUI. Normally windows like this go away when you click outside the windows, but this is not the case in Vital. So if you accidentally click a source and don't remember what was originally selected, you have to close and re-open the whole VST, because there's no indicator whatsoever of what the current source is.

Dallas_Cashin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:47 am I definitely can't fault Vital for not cluttering up the main GUI with a mod matrix, but just to be devil's advocate here, generally the quickest way of figuring out what's going on, modulation-wise, is looking at a matrix view. Mod matrix also makes it simple to assign sources that don't have tangible controls in the GUI (aftertouch, oscillator output when doing FM/AM, etc), though of course you can always do this with a right-click menu.
I totally agree with you on this. I love plugins that offer both drag'n'drop functionality as well as a modulation matrix.

Return to “Instruments”