Vital - Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vital Vital Ascendant (Vital Content Pack)

Paree wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:48 amOnly if are looking for analog sounds, which this synth is not about.
It's a synth, if it's any good it should be able to do all kinds of sounds. That's why I don't think it's very good, because it fails at one of the most obvious things anyone would want to do with a synth.
Also, please don't generalize your opinion. Music is probably the most subjective thing out there.
Do you see anything in my signature to indicate I am speaking for anyone other than myself? No, so bugger off and annoy someone else.
SLiC wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:59 amYup- using filters for subtractive sound design is just one (very overused) method of synthesis, with the WT stuff I often just use filters for a bit of EQ or not at all. If you want warm analogue or screaming resonance, use a real analogue synth (or a good VA), this is nice and digital, its good to have choices :-)
Do you realise how utterly stupid what you wrote here is? I agree that it's good to have choices but Vital doesn't allow me to choose to make nice squelchy basslines or a dozen other things that any of it's competitors, synths all of us already own, allow me to do easily. So why would I bother with this?
Vortifex wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:00 pm
btfnk wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:40 am Also about half the fonts look terrible. The lines are too thin or the anti aliasing needs to be stronger.
This is with it at 100% but it even looks bad (although marginally better) at 400%
Same here, although very very slightly less bad.
I made a point of checking it out last night and on my system Vital's GUI looks really clean and crisp, none of that ugliness in the screenshots people have posted. Have you guys run the ClearType utility on you PCs? It might help.
Dalle wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:09 amI’m really impressed with the filters, they sound great and the different modes offer so much variety.
If you really believe that, then you must be a clueless idiot whose opinion is worthless because by any objective measure, Vital's filters are terrible. Worse even that PhasePlant's, which are pretty bland.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Behold, all who disagree with Bones are clueless idiots. :dog:
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Thankfully he can be hidden easily by making him a "foe" (not sure about the wording there though, dear KVR, I'd rather have it as a "hidden" group instead of "foes").

Makes KVR a better place :-)

And "Don't feed the trolls" :hug:
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:31 am It's a synth, if it's any good it should be able to do all kinds of sounds. That's why I don't think it's very good, because it fails at one of the most obvious things anyone would want to do with a synth.
that's an unbelievable comment. that's like saying, 'this eq plugins sucks because it doesn't do reverb'.

these is never anything wrong with a plugin that excels at what it excels at. i won't use sylenth1, for example, if i want a piano sound, or dune3 for something i can do better in zebra2 (& vice versa). that's why we have more than one synth, or reverb, or... you get the idea.

i can't figure out what you're so angry about (in general), but, just for what it is, vital is awesome. and if it's not for you, that's fine; you made your point; now give it a rest, and let us continue to have an intelligent discussion about it. :dog:

I just checked, and the filters don't sound good to me when pushed. Also got some weird constant, key-off high-pitch tones when messing with resonance on the filter in the effects section. But I am having fun with this synth.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Some more wavetables:
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/su ... al-Content
I especially like the VSCO ones for more natural sounding things... :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:31 am
Dalle wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:09 amI’m really impressed with the filters, they sound great and the different modes offer so much variety.
If you really believe that, then you must be a clueless idiot whose opinion is worthless because by any objective measure, Vital's filters are terrible. Worse even that PhasePlant's, which are pretty bland.
Somebody call the philosophy department, the objective measurement of greatness has been found :o

I bought it. It's very nice. It has a unique sound to it. Looking forward to digging in more.

And todays TTWT winning entry is:
fisherKing wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:21 am 'this eq plugins sucks because it doesn't do reverb'.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:14 am And todays TTWT winning entry is:
fisherKing wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:21 am 'this eq plugins sucks because it doesn't do reverb'.
plus, every time i try to boost the high end a lot, the music gets unbearably bright. this eq plugin sucks....

Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:14 am And todays TTWT winning entry is:
YES!

:tu:

just done it, and: YES! finally TTWT is working in the free version! :) :)

fisherKing wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:21 amthat's an unbelievable comment. that's like saying, 'this eq plugins sucks because it doesn't do reverb'.
No, it is not and only a complete moron would suggest otherwise. EQ plugins don't have reverbs in them, whereas Vital has three filters in its signal path. They just aren't very good and there is no way around that. If the intent is that it's not for subtractive synthesis, why are they there at all? And three of them, FFS!
these is never anything wrong with a plugin that excels at what it excels at. i won't use sylenth1, for example, if i want a piano sound, or dune3 for something i can do better in zebra2 (& vice versa).
So what do you do when you get to a point where you realise that what your patch needs is a nice, long filter sweep and Vital can't deliver? I also use different synths for different purposes but I expect them all to be able to do the basics. Vital can't manage that, where all the other wavetable synths I own can, so why would I bother with Vital?
i can't figure out what you're so angry about (in general), but, just for what it is, vital is awesome.
It's OK but there are better options out there. It's probably worth what they are asking for it but if it was the same price as Serum or DUNE, no-one would buy it. Similarly, if you already have Serum or DUNE or Avenger or any one of a dozen other expensive synths that do Wavetables, why would you bother with this?
if it's not for you, that's fine; you made your point; now give it a rest, and let us continue to have an intelligent discussion about it. :dog:
It's not a discussion, and it's far from intelligent, if you only accept points of view that align with your own? That's just a circle-jerk and, as such, a complete waste of everyone's time. The fact that you seem unable to see that says a lot about how much of your intellect you engage before joining in. Like most of the commentors here, you're just riding along on the hype train, parroting what everyone else has said and accepting the truth of it without question. It's pathetic.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:31 am I made a point of checking it out last night and on my system Vital's GUI looks really clean and crisp, none of that ugliness in the screenshots people have posted. Have you guys run the ClearType utility on you PCs? It might help.
I’m using it on a mac.

I really like this. Yes there are other synths that "do wavetables" but the spectral morphing takes them in new directions, as well as various types of oscillator cross-modulation.

The only real issue I've noticed so far is that it sounds like there's some clipping in certain presets, so some of them need better gain staging.

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:36 am It's not a discussion, and it's far from intelligent, if you only accept points of view that align with your own? That's just a circle-jerk and, as such, a complete waste of everyone's time. The fact that you seem unable to see that says a lot about how much of your intellect you engage before joining in. Like most of the commentors here, you're just riding along on the hype train, parroting what everyone else has said and accepting the truth of it without question. It's pathetic.
because telling us over & over how much you don't like something is different than saying it once (or twice).

i always (like you) speak for myself. am having a lot of fun with vital, and using it in some new projects. and ultimately, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, i use the tools i choose to use.

but you're right, it's 'not a discussion, and it's far from intelligent', when people like you ramble on about the same thing, over & over, as if, by it's very repetition, you think we'll all finally go "you know what? bones is right, and we were all wrong" :roll:

and am out, time to make some music.

Return to “Instruments”