VPS Avenger new license system is a complete mystery

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cataclysm - Avenger Expansion VPS Avenger

mholloway wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:44 pm oh the joy of loading Avenger and being presented with a "no license found" pop-up even though you've been using it on this system for the past two years. joy joy joy.

about ready to sell this motherf***** and be done with it. NO other synth I own is this complicated to keep active & working.
Careful, I complained to them about Codemeter and they threw a temper tantrum and told me I wouldn't be allowed to sell my license.

Is that legal ? Probably not but F'em. I hope they rot in abject poverty.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I dropped Avenger immediately when VPS betrayed its customers by reneging on its express promise of a keyfile copy-protection system by imposing Codemeter on customers who had already paid and who wanted to get updates.* And hey, that was almost exactly a year ago (Black Friday 2019)! Happy Anniversary, I guess.

I'll never purchase from (or trust) VPS again.

*Yes, I know you buy for how software is at the time of purchase, not for updates. As I've consistently said, I don't think I have a "legal claim" for this reason. But I think VPS engaged in morally sleazy behavior, and will decline to do business with them going forward on this basis.

Now think about: v2.0 will be a paid update XD I wonder what surprises are waiting...

I have VPS Avenger installed on 2 macOS mojave computers. Both installations did work fine in Ableton Live 10.
It seems at certain time intervals it needs refresh / update of the license. I read many complaints here about that codemeter system. I must confess I do not fully understand this system. Currently I get the following message when I try to update via the website (manage activation):

A transfer of licenses with this ticket is currently not possible. Please contact the support service.
0x1808000F
CodeMeter License Central WebDepot v19.07.210.500.ws
2020-11-30 19:13:38 (UTC)

Is this only me, or do other people get this too at this moment.
I send an email to support, but no answer yet.

Avenger is great but I hate codemeter so I got rid of avenger.
I was going to get reason suite but I think it has codemeter too.
I'd buy avenger in a heartbeat if they got rid of codemeter..

Influx808 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:31 pm Avenger is great but I hate codemeter so I got rid of avenger.
I have Reason Intro (rack) installed. Indeed I see it registered in codemeter too.
However I am not sure if this license needs refreshing too. I do not see an expiration date anywhere. Install was only a couple of months ago.

Easiest way is to maintain the license via V-MANAGER (VMAN). You can download it from https://register.vps-avenger.com/.

Blaster wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:13 pm Easiest way is to maintain the license via V-MANAGER (VMAN). You can download it from https://register.vps-avenger.com/.
Tried that. Does not work either.
Last edited by FotoxBr on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am not sure what one can do with a serial number and the 130 number but if i were you I would take down your image and block those out, just in case.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:25 am I am not sure what one can do with a serial number and the 130 number but if i were you I would take down your image and block those out, just in case.
rsp
I deleted the image. Thanks for the warning. I was not aware of risks :-(

I could reactivate my licence with the aid of support. It involved deleting codemeter containers via terminal commands and reactivating via Vman. It worked, but not a very transparent system to me.

They may not be any, but you never know :).

Glad you got it sorted, but yikes.....Indeed the serial number was so much more user friendly, alas not secure enough.
rsp
sound sculptist

If the solution (copy protection) is worse than the problem (piracy), you're doing something wrong.

Developers need to stop seeing every pirated copy as a lost sale. Those pirates would have never purchased the plugin anyway. They also don't care they can't use the latest version and they will happily continue to use their pirated old version.
But the lost sales because of draconian copy protection are very real.

Blaster wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:13 pm Easiest way is to maintain the license via V-MANAGER (VMAN). You can download it from https://register.vps-avenger.com/.
oh yeah, very easy :roll:

I was stupid and bought again two expansions today, because I got a very good sale offer and want give it a second chance. As I tried to activate them in VMAN it still didn't work and I had to do this online in my account. This VMAN problem would reported for many months, but they don't fix it.

Because I still don't find an official and up-to-date full working step by step tutorial from them I searched online how to install that expansions, I found a video in which is declared to simply drag and drop the expansions in Avenger. That didn't work, because meanhwhile you have to import them in Avenger.

Also the most user whishes are senseless, because they tell you "perhaps in V 2.0" and for this update you have to pay again. Never!

That license system is an horror. But on a sidenote, I switched to an AMD gpu for my mac system, and now the plugin seems to be more stable (before I used nvidia and Intel integrated).

FotoxBr wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:59 pm
Influx808 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:31 pm Avenger is great but I hate codemeter so I got rid of avenger.
I have Reason Intro (rack) installed. Indeed I see it registered in codemeter too.
However I am not sure if this license needs refreshing too. I do not see an expiration date anywhere. Install was only a couple of months ago.
can the reason rack lite version install other 3rd party re plugs and does it have to be "online" all the time?

Return to “Instruments”