Recommend a Decent Sustain Pedal (and Guitar Cables)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

festeringheap wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:46 am
BBFG# wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:58 pm Half damping.
Really can tell the difference on Pianoteq. Synths mostly only need on/off hold pedals.
I did buy Pianoteq recently. I am baffled though about the half damping. Is that a function of the software? Or does your keyboard need to support it? Or both?
BBFG# so I'm still baffled as to the half damping feature. Is it a software feature or a hardware feature?

I also notice that some 1/4" plugs for the pedals are stereo and some mono. Is that more a half damp thing or a continuous sustain? (0-127)

festeringheap wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:35 pm
festeringheap wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:46 am
BBFG# wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:58 pm Half damping.
Really can tell the difference on Pianoteq. Synths mostly only need on/off hold pedals.
I did buy Pianoteq recently. I am baffled though about the half damping. Is that a function of the software? Or does your keyboard need to support it? Or both?
BBFG# so I'm still baffled as to the half damping feature. Is it a software feature or a hardware feature?

I also notice that some 1/4" plugs for the pedals are stereo and some mono. Is that more a half damp thing or a continuous sustain? (0-127)
Both HW/SW.
(It's part of the midi spec and up to the developer's decision of whether it recognizes it or not.)
TRS is the correct one.
I believe it is a continuous controller.

I bought a Roland DP-10 recently and it’s great. It has a nice weight and feels really good to press with zero noise.

The other continuous pedal I’ve tried was the one that comes with the VPC1 and that also worked fine but it made a lot of squeaky noises.

Roland DP-10 gets my vote as well. Its extremely well made. Continuous function. You can use it as a normal sustain pedal, or use for half-damping in programs like Pianoteq...also more piano VSTs than you would probably guess DO actually support this feature.

Its also useful for Synths too. You can midi learn assign it to things like scrolling through wavetables, or macros, or whatever, because its continous. Its pretty neat.

Thanks BBFG for your help.
spacepluk wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 am I bought a Roland DP-10 recently and it’s great. It has a nice weight and feels really good to press with zero noise.
Jkist wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:52 am Roland DP-10 gets my vote as well. Its extremely well made. Continuous function. You can use it as a normal sustain pedal, or use for half-damping in programs like Pianoteq...also more piano VSTs than you would probably guess DO actually support this feature.

Its also useful for Synths too. You can midi learn assign it to things like scrolling through wavetables, or macros, or whatever, because its continous. Its pretty neat.
Guys, the Roland DP-10 is looking good as well. Thanks. Interesting about the scrolling for synths as well. So you can scroll with a midi controller to computer? or just a synth?
I'm debating to get a 61 key midi controller instead of a fully weighted 88 keyboard as well - so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe I'll start a new thread for that.

I’m using the dp10 with a Komplete Kontrol S61 mk2 and a SL88 Grand. It works fine with both.

MGear is a good sustain pedal.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

festeringheap wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:44 pm Thanks BBFG for your help.
spacepluk wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 am I bought a Roland DP-10 recently and it’s great. It has a nice weight and feels really good to press with zero noise.
Jkist wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:52 am Roland DP-10 gets my vote as well. Its extremely well made. Continuous function. You can use it as a normal sustain pedal, or use for half-damping in programs like Pianoteq...also more piano VSTs than you would probably guess DO actually support this feature.

Guys, the Roland DP-10 is looking good as well. Thanks. Interesting about the scrolling for synths as well. So you can scroll with a midi controller to computer? or just a synth?
I'm debating to get a 61 key midi controller instead of a fully weighted 88 keyboard as well - so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe I'll start a new thread for that.
You can assign it to any parameter that is midi assignable. Just keep in mind the pedal action goes up and down, but always wants to return up, so its obviously more useful in certain situations than others. But for example, you could easily do a strange vibrato, or yeah, assign it to scroll through the wavetable, and you could get all sorts of sounds by slowly depressing it or doing quick stabs. The possibilities are endless ;)

One thing to keep in mind though is that your KEYBOARD must accept this type of pedal. Most will state in the manual, "accepts half damping / continuous sustain" or something to that effect. If it doesn't, I believe you can usually use one of the Aux or Expression jacks...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”