FR: Explode Recorded Automation Tracks

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As it stands, all automation is recorded into a single event track which then needs to be clicked through to reveal the actual automation you want to work with. It would be much more helpful if the events were able to 'explode' into their own tracks where they could be moved and copied.

This image shows a single track with three automation events. These should really be on their own, separate sub-tracks to the main instrument they reference.
muLab_automate.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Music is directly tied to the technology of a culture."
"Modular gear is the craft beer of music."

Great idea! +1

It's on the wishlist. Also related to making it possible to record live automation as multi-point curves instead of discrete event sequences.

M10? Maybe... 😁

PS: just a little addendum to that last remark on the curves, it would be really useful to have a button like on the electribes that changes any data from stepped to smooth.

If you're interested and unsure I'll explain in detail. It's an excellent little feature, tho it may have copyrights due to being only on korg equipment?

sl23 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:05 pm it would be really useful to have a button like on the electribes that changes any data from stepped to smooth.
What a cool :idea: !
It suits MuLab, too.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

mutools wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:47 pm It's on the wishlist. Also related to making it possible to record live automation as multi-point curves instead of discrete event sequences.
As 95%+ of my DAW work is with plug-ins your idea would be a HUGE feature for me. What you describe is how Tracktion DAW does its 'explode' option (into multi-point envelopes). Implement this and I could probably give up using Tracktion.

What I *really* like is how you've implemented automation as a sub-track to the primary track. That's great bc I create different automations then mute/solo different ones to find those magic editor curves. That would be even more pronounced with exploded tracks.

All that said, the #1 feature I'm missing from MuLab is the ability to 'draw' my automation like in other DAW's. FL Studio has a great implementation with its paintbrush tool which allows for drawing very intricate automation curves that just aren't possible with Mu's straight-line pencil tool. In 2021 I'm amazed how archaic that particular automation component is implemented in Mu. I know I've mentioned this request in other posts and if this feature were to get better I could probably give up using FLS.
Last edited by sdv on Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

sl23 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:05 pm M10? Maybe... 😁
I can't wait until V10 for this automation stuff to get taken seriously. If it doesn't happen in 9 I won't upgrade even tho I love me some MuLab. Well, that's not true, I'll upgrade bc I support the Mu platform but I sure wish some of these MIDI issues were brought up to speed.
sl23 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:05 pm PS: just a little addendum to that last remark on the curves, it would be really useful to have a button like on the electribes that changes any data from stepped to smooth.
While that is a nice feature on the 'Tribes (I have several and for beatmaking & step-sequencing 16th notes it can be handy) getting a proper automation 'paintbrush' (basically a tool for drawing intricate discrete events) should be way higher on the list of what a DAW provides in the year 2021, imho.

:lol: :lol: I was only joking about M10! Hopefully this will be added sooner?!

The Smooth/Stepped Motion sequence button should be a part of this function imho, not a separate one. :tu: :D

sl23 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:27 pm :lol: :lol: I was only joking about M10! Hopefully this will be added sooner?!
Yeah, I knew you were joking but I'm overly salty regarding this feature. I really need to take a chill. :D
sl23 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:27 pm The Smooth/Stepped Motion sequence button should be a part of this function imho, not a separate one. :tu: :D
If he's going to implement the feature might as well go big. If 'Step' mode were implemented then adding a beat division option would be mandatory to get proper gating & beat matching effects.

:oops: it's ok, I'm like that with a feature too!

Yep, big sounds good :)

Return to “MUTOOLS”