BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

Matspan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:49 pm I cannot run these VSTs my DAWS don't list them.
It's not an instrument it's a midi FX, it does not make sound by it self, it needs an VST(instrument).

After tinkering with various options (of which there 'really' aren't that many), I came to the conclusion that BlueARP is the most complete seq plugin available.

And that is actually really strange (the relative unavailability of options/alternatives).

Yeager wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:10 am
Matspan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:49 pm I cannot run these VSTs my DAWS don't list them.
It's not an instrument it's a midi FX, it does not make sound by it self, it needs an VST(instrument).
The normal version IS a vst fx, not a midi fx.

What could be causing the delayed start of BlueARP at the beginning of a track? A buffering issue?

Example: BlueARP Test

It happens when I start playback and it also appears in a mixdown. As you can hear BlueARP catches up pretty fast after the false start.
My DAW is Cubase 11 on Windows 10.
I have my ASIO4ALL buffer set to 256. That is as low as I can go on my system, and according to the manual that should work fine.

mountainmaster wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:10 pm What could be causing the delayed start of BlueARP at the beginning of a track? A buffering issue?

Example: BlueARP Test

It happens when I start playback and it also appears in a mixdown. As you can hear BlueARP catches up pretty fast after the false start.
My DAW is Cubase 11 on Windows 10.
I have my ASIO4ALL buffer set to 256. That is as low as I can go on my system, and according to the manual that should work fine.
TBH, the provided audio example doesn't quite reveal there's delaying issue. It would be better to provide a little video or at least consider giving details like:
1. Preset used of BlueARP
2. Sync mode in BlueARP, Beat0? On Play? 1st Key?
3. The target Midi channel, what synth/instrument is that? Could it have ADSR set to cause a start delay, could it have plugin delay issue?

Ghost Dog wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:22 am After tinkering with various options (of which there 'really' aren't that many), I came to the conclusion that BlueARP is the most complete seq plugin available.

And that is actually really strange (the relative unavailability of options/alternatives).
True it is really awkward to see there's no any near variant to BlueARP in the scene, neither payware nor freeware. Which it is probably due to a basic question a developer would ask before consider making such plugin: Do people need this?

Which is IMHO this is wrong way of thinking, most of successful products & services weren't based on people needs at first place, and on top of that, people firstly would hate these products, but then they adapt & discover how they could work without these inventions!

If there's anything we can do here, it is to support this project & the developer, whenever possible, let's consider donating to Graywolf to encourage him improving this innovative tool :hug:

phreaque wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:21 am TBH, the provided audio example doesn't quite reveal there's delaying issue. It would be better to provide a little video or at least consider giving details like:
1. Preset used of BlueARP
2. Sync mode in BlueARP, Beat0? On Play? 1st Key?
3. The target Midi channel, what synth/instrument is that? Could it have ADSR set to cause a start delay, could it have plugin delay issue?
Thanks, that gave me an idea where to look.

The main problem was that for this small testproject both instruments were starting at the first beat. Once I moved them to bar 2 my mixdown was fully in sync.
I also changed BlueARP's sync mode from "beat0" to "play". To be clear, that setting had nothing to do with the problem. It had to be done as a consequence of moving those tracks. Looks like I'm getting the hang of this. :wink:

When I start playback in Cubase the delay still remains, but I can live with that as long as I know that my final mix will be alright.

phreaque wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:29 am let's consider donating to Graywolf to encourage him improving this innovative tool :hug:
I am considering buying the hardware version if/when it gets released provided it's not priced too high for my wallet. I assume he would see some of that money, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

mountainmaster wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:43 pm When I start playback in Cubase the delay still remains, but I can live with that as long as I know that my final mix will be alright.
Hmm, check [In Quantize] setting, this will be set at 1/16 by default, try to choose [None] which will respond to changes immediately.

Make sure also that the patters (clips?) on Cubase are perfectly sitting on the grid. Any tiny offsetting or shifting will cause a drift and out-of-sync.

Based on that, assuming the arrangement is a standard 4/4 measure, the [Steps] should follow this as well. Like having 15 steps will surely drifts out if the DAW arrangement is 4/4

Try to reduce the [Gate time] to say, 50%

Which finally will lead us to: Either try another preset to see if the timing is tight enough, or send me the your preset so I can check it out.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:50 pm
phreaque wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:29 am let's consider donating to Graywolf to encourage him improving this innovative tool :hug:
I am considering buying the hardware version if/when it gets released provided it's not priced too high for my wallet. I assume he would see some of that money, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Good idea too, and yes the h/w development is owned & maintained by Graywolf totally.
If you're interested in the h/w unit, the public release will be hopefully in Summer 2021, however you can send me a PM or email with the request and I will forward it to Oleg, since he's extremely busy lately.. Sure you can just skip and email him directly. :)

I will not be one of the early adopters, but provided all is well would be looking to get one a couple of months after release and depending on supply. I've heard some rave reviews from testers, but would want to hear from ordinary customers what the production units are like.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

phreaque wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:04 pm
mountainmaster wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:43 pm When I start playback in Cubase the delay still remains, but I can live with that as long as I know that my final mix will be alright.
Hmm, check [In Quantize] setting, this will be set at 1/16 by default, try to choose [None] which will respond to changes immediately.
That did the trick. Thanks!

maxym.srpl wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:29 am Extending this request, it would be nice to have option to change a visualization of bar length. Right now it's fixed to 4 steps. In case of 6/8 beat, I would like to see 3 steps per bar.
I have the same opinion. I support.

Hi all Sorry for checking this thread rarely. I didn't abandon the plugin development, just was more focused on the hardware for several months. But anyway there are some new features, the best of them is the improved chord recognition and chord-derived scales (made in collaboration with phreaque) which will allow to use bluearp pretty much like arrangers. I hope to post an update in a few weeks.
A quick question for all of you - does anyone need vst3 version of bluearp? Last weekend I was reorganizing my projects and found out that it already works (with a few fixes I made). For me, vst2 is good for years to come, but maybe I'm issing something and anyone desperately needs bluearp as a vst3?

I don't need it but I would like it....

Return to “Instruments”