Mac OS 11 (Big Sur) & M1 Chip Support

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wondering if our plug-ins will run on the new Mac OS and the new ARM-based Macs? Check this out!

Blue Cat Audio Software, Mac OS 11 (Big Sur) & Apple M1 Chip Support

If I'm taking what you're saying correctly, you're suggesting that the license I have for the latest plug n' script is a Mac Big Sur ready program that can export accordingly?

Dear lord in heaven if that's true, I guess it means I should get busy.

That's right. You just need to use the preview that was built specifically for this purpose. It will be released as "mainstream" once M1 equipped Macs take off (we'll have to drop 32-bit and older Mac OS versions support).

Sorry? I didn't take the meaning of "preview" if you wouldn't mind explaining. Do you mean mac vst, au filetype? Because I would likely employ the standalone version in win to output.

Standalone version will indeed work. I was just referring to the next release preview version because the current public release does not have native M1 chip support.

Perfect, thanks. And that preview is not time-sensitive? It will just keep working?

kingozrecords wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:57 pm Perfect, thanks. And that preview is not time-sensitive? It will just keep working?
There is no limitation.

That is incredible. I'm very glad I put all My bets on your company and said so publicly many times. Kudos to Blue Cat Audio; thank you for being so intrepid. Well beyond what anyone hoped given the current state of things.

I understand that Patchwork 2.5 will need to drop 32-bit support moving forward on Big Sur and M1 platforms, and that both the standalone app and Patchwork plugins will run as 64-bit. But will Patchwork running as a 64-bit app or plugin be able to host an older 32-bit VST within its wrapper? Thanks for helping me clarify this.
(Opinions are my own, etc.)

Skytouch wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:08 am I understand that Patchwork 2.5 will need to drop 32-bit support moving forward on Big Sur and M1 platforms, and that both the standalone app and Patchwork plugins will run as 64-bit. But will Patchwork running as a 64-bit app or plugin be able to host an older 32-bit VST within its wrapper? Thanks for helping me clarify this.
It is not possible to load 32-bit binaries in a 64-bit app with Patchwork, and Apple has completely removed support for 32-bit binaries since Catalina anyway, so it is really the end of 32-bit plug-ins on Mac. :-(

We have tried to find a way to keep providing 32-bit builds together with ARM builds, but Apple has made it way too hard to support both, it's to unfortunately complex to handle and provide appropriate support for both.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”