Maize Sampler Future..

Official English support for: maizesoft.cn
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Maize Sampler

Hopefully this project progresses and is not just smoke

Just registered to Gorilla. I saw this is part of Ujam team. Don't think it will be vaporware, but who knows...

skarabee wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:17 am Just registered to Gorilla. I saw this is part of Ujam team. Don't think it will be vaporware, but who knows...
Yeah, it won't be vaporware but I wouldn't hold my breath until it's released though. When it'll be, I'm sure it's going to be a game-changer for plugin development.

There's something I forgot to say about Hise Sampler: when you create a sample-based instrument with it, the plugin is separated from its library. When you first load the sample-based plugin, it prompts you to locate the h1r file (if I remember well) and you have to load it once to finalize the installation.

So it's not as straightforward as Maize Sampler. It's nothing too complicated either, but I'm sure it can confuse some users.

I recently discovered a new sampler called Decent Sampler. It's available for both Windows and Mac (VST/VST3/AU/AUv3) and it's totally free. You can program your own instruments with custom UI for it using XML Programmation, similar to Sforzando. As far as I know, you can create and sell instruments made for it.

There are a few problems though: it still has bugs (it's not yet at v1) and the documentation is limited to very simple instruments. No multi-group is possible for the moment (unless I missed something).

I contacted the developer and he told me he plans to fix most of the bugs in the next quarter and then release v1.

If it turns out great I think it could be a good alternative to Maize Sampler. I cross my fingers that it will because otherwise, I don't know what I'll do.

Check it out here: https://www.decentsamples.com/product/d ... er-plugin/

If you want to help its development, contact the dev about current bugs and he'll fix them. He's very active in fixing bugs and new versions are released regularly.

SampleScience wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:28 am I recently discovered a new sampler called Decent Sampler. It's available for both Windows and Mac (VST/VST3/AU/AUv3) and it's totally free. You can program your own instruments with custom UI for it using XML Programmation, similar to Sforzando. As far as I know, you can create and sell instruments made for it.
Thanks for letting us know about this one!
SampleScience wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:28 am If it turns out great I think it could be a good alternative to Maize Sampler. I cross my fingers that it will because otherwise, I don't know what I'll do.
Does it have some advantages over Maize Sampler?

It runs on Windows and the latest version of macOS and also on iOS! It's also free to develop and sell your instruments unlike other similar samplers (Sforzando). But the main advantage is that the developer fixes the bugs you report, unlike Maize where things are getting worse instead of better.

Decent Sampler is also very easy to learn, programming instruments for it shouldn't take you more than an hour or two.

Otherwise, you can do pretty much the same thing in Decent Sampler you can already do in Maize. Except for custom knobs, but Decent Sampler's dev told me that it's coming.

SampleScience wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:20 pm It runs on Windows and the latest version of macOS and also on iOS! It's also free to develop and sell your instruments unlike other similar samplers (Sforzando). But the main advantage is that the developer fixes the bugs you report, unlike Maize where things are getting worse instead of better.

Decent Sampler is also very easy to learn, programming instruments for it shouldn't take you more than an hour or two.

Otherwise, you can do pretty much the same thing in Decent Sampler you can already do in Maize. Except for custom knobs, but Decent Sampler's dev told me that it's coming.
I see. Thanks!
I checked their website and if I understand correctly, the instruments created with Decent Sampler aren't exported as "standalone" plugins so you need the Decent Sampler to load/play them (like you need the Kontakt player for the Kontakt libraries), right?
Also, from checking the documentation, it seems that the instrument creation process is done entirely by writing code. :(

Yeah, but it's really easy to learn. I learned it in 20 min. Anyways, I'll support Decent Sampler when it'll be at v1. I love this project!

Hey SampleScicence, thanks for recommending Decent Sampler! by the way the Maize Sampler website is offline, this is getting worse ...

BeatMaker_xyz wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:55 pm Hey SampleScicence, thanks for recommending Decent Sampler! by the way the Maize Sampler website is offline, this is getting worse ...
It's online on my side, still, there hasn't been a new version for more than 6 months. It doesn't look good, so I'm already learning Kontakt scripting, Decent Sampler, and in a couple of weeks, I'll be on Hise Sampler. I'm not putting all my eggs in the same basket anymore!

SampleScience wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:11 pm so I'm already learning Kontakt scripting, Decent Sampler, and in a couple of weeks, I'll be on Hise Sampler. I'm not putting all my eggs in the same basket anymore!
Have you ever considered learning Halion instead of Kontakt? Its a one time Investment for the sound designer, but the license allows you to sell your creation and everything would run on the free Halion player.
In terms of features its hard to beat, but there is a steep learning curve...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:36 am
SampleScience wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:11 pm so I'm already learning Kontakt scripting, Decent Sampler, and in a couple of weeks, I'll be on Hise Sampler. I'm not putting all my eggs in the same basket anymore!
Have you ever considered learning Halion instead of Kontakt? Its a one time Investment for the sound designer, but the license allows you to sell your creation and everything would run on the free Halion player.
In terms of features its hard to beat, but there is a steep learning curve...
Yes, I've spent around a month on Halion. It's great as a sound designer tool, the problems come when you need to create a lot of presets for a single instrument. Creating just one preset is so long that if you need to create 30 or 40 of them, it'll take you an unreasonable amount of time to process all of them. Just look at the diagram at the bottom of this page, you need 3 different versions of Halion just to create 1 preset for distribution!!:

https://developer.steinberg.help/displa ... +Libraries

There's another problem: the average end-users are confused by Steinberg. Yes, your library will run on the free Halion Sonic SE player, but just to get this player you need an e-licenser, a Steinberg account, and you also need to read a tutorial to learn how to activate your free player. In my tests, most people didn't even realize that Halion Sonic SE was free. It's overly complicated and most people (except already existing Steinberg customers) don't bother with it.

On paper Halion 6 is a Kontakt killer, but in reality, it's so convoluted that it's just good as a sound designer tool.

That's why you don't see many Halion libraries out there.

KTlin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:36 pm
SampleScience wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:20 pm It runs on Windows and the latest version of macOS and also on iOS! It's also free to develop and sell your instruments unlike other similar samplers (Sforzando). But the main advantage is that the developer fixes the bugs you report, unlike Maize where things are getting worse instead of better.

I see. Thanks!
I checked their website and if I understand correctly, the instruments created with Decent Sampler aren't exported as "standalone" plugins so you need the Decent Sampler to load/play them (like you need the Kontakt player for the Kontakt libraries), right?
Also, from checking the documentation, it seems that the instrument creation process is done entirely by writing code. :(
Please explain better this part where people have to have the Decent Sampler to be able to install and execute the instrument created by themselves? And how will I be able to sell the instrument created in Decent Sampler? It gets complicated like that, doesn't it? :cry:

Digital coconut wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:02 pm
Please explain better this part where people have to have the Decent Sampler to be able to install and execute the instrument created by themselves? And how will I be able to sell the instrument created in Decent Sampler? It gets complicated like that, doesn't it? :cry:
It's exactly like with the Kontakt libraries: if you buy a library created with Kontakt you'll need Kontakt (or Kontakt player) in order to load and play that library.

KTlin wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:13 pm
Digital coconut wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:02 pm
It's exactly like with the Kontakt libraries: if you buy a library created with Kontakt you'll need Kontakt (or Kontakt player) in order to load and play that library.

But if so, it will be very complicated to create and sell the instruments to people, as everyone must have the player ... do you know anything new about Gorilla Engine? And do you know if with this Gorilla we will have to pay percentages of plugin sales for them? :dog:

Return to “Maizesoft”