Vst3 support?

Official support for: lennardigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As with all vst#s once vst3 is implemented, is it a large job to implement vst sidechain for external audio routing through the synth for effects, filter etc, or have I misunderstood the potential?

Steinberg has just announced that their DAWs will fully drop VST2 support in 24 months so just thought I’d bump this topic and ask if there are any plans to support VST3 in the near future? 😊

Yes, we are working on a VST3 version. It's a bit hard to say when it will be available though.

Lennard wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:57 pm Yes, we are working on a VST3 version. It's a bit hard to say when it will be available though.
No worries, thanks so much for the update 😍

Lennard wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:15 am Yes, there will be a VST3 version. Can't give any specific date yet though.
Excellent.
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

Lennard wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:57 pm Yes, we are working on a VST3 version. It's a bit hard to say when it will be available though.
Are you working on a native M1 ARM VST3 for Mac?
On a number of Macs

Yes, it will be universal (native ARM and native x64 binaries).

We look forward to the release of the VST3 version of Sylenth1!

Lennard wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:15 am Yes, there will be a VST3 version. Can't give any specific date yet though.
This is good to hear.

Could you please ensure that when you do release your VST3 version, that you also support the requisite internal plugin IDs so that 'automatic migration' from VST2 to VST3 will be possible, such as it is within certain DAWs who support the combining of VST2/VST3 plugins (like FL Studio does).

This will allow users who previously saved projects using the VST2 versions of Sylenth1, to then automatically substitute VST3 instances in place of any existing VST2 versions in previously saved projects.

Several plugin developers currently support such "automatic migration" for VST2 to VST3 such as Valhalla DSP, Sonic Academy, Applied Acoustics Systems'.

I contacted Valhalla to query how they managed to correctly implement this functionality for their plugins within DAWs, whereby many other developers had previously been unable to.

Here was their response (hopefully it may help you find a way to likewise support automatic VST2 to VST3 substitution):
Valhalla DSP Customer Support:

As far as automatic migration, I think that the Valhalla plugins benefitted from migrating to VST3 fairly late (in late 2020, to be precise). I use the Juce framework for my plugins, which a lot of plugin companies do, so porting to VST3 mostly involved hooking up to the latest VST3 SDK, downloading the latest Juce SDK, and enabling the VST3 build option. Which seems simple, but there are a few problems with this:

- The VST3 SDK is constantly changing. Which is weird, as VST3 is supposed to be a “standard.”
- Juce had their own VST2 implementation for several years, which had an incorrect VST Plugin ID generation (the bytes were out of order). So, if a Juce developer was building a VST2 and VST3, even if they supposedly shared the same ID, the DAW may not recognize it as the same ID. Juce has now pulled their VST2 implementation, so more recent builds might address this.
- VST3 plugin support is a shifting entity in DAWs. VST2s tend to work the same across all DAWs, but it is a crapshoot about whether or not the VST3s will behave the same across DAWs.

So, my guess for what is going on with other developers is that

- they name their VST3 builds something different, which is either intentional or accidental
- the VST Plugin ID has different formatting between VST2 and VST3, which is probably accidental.

I’m not sure how to fix the VST Plugin ID issue. I only have one plugin that was affected by this, a build of VintageVerb from 2018 or so. The latest VintageVerb builds match the older VintageVerb builds as far as VST Plugin ID, and the VST2 and VST3 plugin IDs match each other now.
Hopefully this is useful info!

Yes, of course we'll keep using the same plugin name and VST ID. We have already tested this and it works fine in Cubase. However, not all DAWs may support this properly. It's entirely up to the DAW manufacturer if they will identify and replace a VST2 plugin by a VST3 one with the same name and plugin ID, so I can't give any guarantees that it will work for your DAW. If it works for other VST's then it will most likely work for Sylenth1 as well.

Great to know, really wish Ableton would add this feature.
| MacOS Ventura MBP 14 M1 Pro 32GB RAM | PC Win 11 7950x3D 64GB RAM | Ableton | Bigwig| RME Babyface Pro | Yamaha HS8 |

Lennard wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:23 am Yes, of course we'll keep using the same plugin name and VST ID. We have already tested this and it works fine in Cubase. However, not all DAWs may support this properly. It's entirely up to the DAW manufacturer if they will identify and replace a VST2 plugin by a VST3 one with the same name and plugin ID, so I can't give any guarantees that it will work for your DAW. If it works for other VST's then it will most likely work for Sylenth1 as well.
You tested a sylenth1 VST3 beta? Does that mean you're close? I've ditched VST2's at this point (just don't feel like replacing them in projects and presets later), looking forward to using Sylenth1 again!

Lennard wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:39 am Yes, it will be universal (native ARM and native x64 binaries).
Due to the fact that now Cubase doesn't support M1 native VST2 anymore and it is almost more than 12 month later after your announcement I would like to ask how the M1 Native VST3 is on the way? If you need a beta tester just get in touch.
Thanks for your feedback!

Just was curious to see how the progress has been going towards making Sylenth1 VST3 compatible. Looking forward to the update!

HydrogenHuman wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:45 am Just was curious to see how the progress has been going towards making Sylenth1 VST3 compatible. Looking forward to the update!
What progress? :)

Return to “LennarDigital”