Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Held
KVRist
213 posts since 3 Jan, 2020

Post Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 am

Thank you so much to everyone who works on this awesome synth. The new skin looks amazing too. I'm really happy to see some high-quality open source software in the audio world.

Is there a way to donate to the project. I figured I'd rather contribute here than buy another plugin I don't really need this month.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
20919 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 am

We don't take any donations, but thanks for the thought!

wwjd
KVRist
245 posts since 18 Nov, 2010

Post Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:15 am

are the updates mentioned here found in the link in first post?

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:37 am

Not yet, will be this weekend.

Our intermediate builds are always available at the nightly page: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/nightly

mfbradt
KVRer
29 posts since 6 Feb, 2004

Post Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:10 am

https://williamfields.bandcamp.com/album/fieldsos

I downloaded Surge immediately after reading that the above composer used it in his compositions. Wow!

ED, thanks to you and all the folks who work on this wonderful instrument.

Kwurqx
KVRian
629 posts since 15 Jun, 2017

Post Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:42 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:03 am
... but we push the saturation more - it goes up to 5.0 in Surge, based on which filter subtype you pick, in Odin 2 it goes to 3.0. So, K35 subtype 3 should be like max saturation in Odin 2. There is also, of course, possibility of different gain-staging between oscs and filter at play here, as well (especially considering the fact that MS-20 filter topology is quite sensitive to input gain).
So underrated, having control over filter input-levels, saturation, gain staging in a synth. So much more control over (filter dependent) filter behaviour like resonance, distortion. Also effects (wave)shaping functions.

Still loving Surge. Fast workflow, tons of features. I'll post some new feature requests, since some are now being developed or are already implemented.

Even more oscillator shape controls/algorithms would be great. Shapeable oscillator shapes are also underrated. All sorts of non-lineair greatness and tweaking. Love the ones Surge already offers.

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am

We have a plan for more osc types in 1.9. :)

rickdom
KVRer
15 posts since 1 Apr, 2004

Post Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:07 pm

First of all I want to thank you for the fantastic work on this synth.

If you allow me I would like to ask you some questions related to the future development of this magnificent vst.

I'd like to know if you've never considered implementing the free padsynth algorithm (which is used in zynaddsubfx) as an oscillator type since you are planning on introducing new ones.

Then, by chance, are you aware of any new skin that present the 3 oscillators at the same time (which would be very useful especially in the use of fm modulation between the oscillators)?

Finally, although I apologize for the question, considering that the matter has already been discussed, it is also true that some "events" led to the birth of a version that I was able to download and use in my workflow:
Won't there be the possibility of having (like version 1.7) a version 1.8 and 1.9 as vst2 for us poor daw users who don't have vst3 compatibility (and can only use it in other daw demos)?

In any case, thank you again for your work and for your dedication.

mabian
KVRAF
1989 posts since 10 Jan, 2005

Post Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 pm

About vst2 version... what about this?

https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7519386

- Mario

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:34 pm

rickdom wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:07 pm
I'd like to know if you've never considered implementing the free padsynth algorithm (which is used in zynaddsubfx) as an oscillator type since you are planning on introducing new ones.
We are aware of it but no consensus on its implementation yet.
rickdom wrote:
Then, by chance, are you aware of any new skin that present the 3 oscillators at the same time (which would be very useful especially in the use of fm modulation between the oscillators)?
This is not supported in the skin engine at this point. Will it be at a later date? Don't know yet.
rickdom wrote:
Won't there be the possibility of having (like version 1.7) a version 1.8 and 1.9 as vst2 for us poor daw users who don't have vst3 compatibility (and can only use it in other daw demos)?
You can always build from the source code IF you own the VST2 SDK (if you don't, tough luck - the licensing on VST2 SDK is very clear, we cannot include it in our source code repository, it's not GPL3 compatible and it will never be). We have clear instructions for all platforms how to build from source. It doesn't cost you anything to build on Windows (get Visual Studio Community version, which is free).

rickdom
KVRer
15 posts since 1 Apr, 2004

Post Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:24 pm

Thanks EvilDragon for the kind answers and Thanks Mabian for the suggestion to use Element which I will try to use to host surge.

bboxdw
KVRist
43 posts since 22 Jan, 2010 from Oregon, U.S.

Post Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:29 pm

I recently took the time to revisit Surge and play with the nightly, after Venus Theory spoke highly of it in a recent video. I'm glad I did so, as it's exciting to see where it has already gone and where it is headed. I love the innovative, feature-packed modulators and filter options. I'm trying to decide whether I like the recently updated Dark Skin or brand new Royal Skin better--good to have options. And, of course, it sounds excellent.

Thanks for all the work and creativity that went into this!

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:43 am

1.8 will officially be released tomorrow, Sunday morning NYC time!

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
7948 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:31 am

Congrats!

The Nerdy Music Guy
KVRist
141 posts since 7 Oct, 2020

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:11 pm

A one note soundscape based (almost) entirely on the LICC :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/user-589036812-2 ... -1-x-surge

Return to “Instruments”