NI launching 'stand alone hardware' Maschine + (leak)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:43 am...and apparently they are cut down. Maybe not internally, but definitely as far as access to the parameters...
Semantics. One could argue you can't also access all parameters of say FM8 or Massive on Maschine Mk3 attached to a computer, until you use the mouse. So in that sense it's not "cut down" - it's the the same experience.

Although - allegedly - once you access the synth on M+ from plugin browser and not preset browser, the encoders will have access to all the plugin parameters that VST exposes to the host, but I can't imagine this being a pleasant workflow :)

Anyway, best thing about M+ being released is that AKAI will now have to step up their game in terms of MPC Software and standalone synths :pray: Competition is good :box:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Yet another (p)review. Confirmed:
- instruments - Monakr, FM8, Massive, etc. - are full versions with limited control
- no streaming for audio

https://youtu.be/4v_Qv8KMdtk
Music tech enthusiast

revvy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:20 am
machinesworking wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:46 am
The point was you attempted to say you were here just to listen and learn, an obvious LIE! :x
You made me embarrassed 'bout my post count now. Shame on you.

I successfully left Ableton forum years ago, that was a fun place for a while, lots of quite extreme posters before they modded it more.
Agreed, I wasted way too much time there. It actually affected my attitude about the software when they started banning any "negative" discussion etc. :(

PLus Ableton simply haven't done anything that interesting in quite a while, it's weird. I hope that it's because 11 will blow us all away, but I think it's more that development has taken a back seat to marketing and branding. :borg:

machinesworking wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:18 pm PLus Ableton simply haven't done anything that interesting in quite a while, it's weird. I hope that it's because 11 will blow us all away, but I think it's more that development has taken a back seat to marketing and branding. :borg:
I'm confused by Ableton too. As good as Live currently is, there are lots of small workflow and display improvements they could make. For example, grouping tracks - can anyone tell me why in an expanded group, the group heading actually takes up more vertical space than when you collapse it? Makes no sense at all to me. And they seem to take ages - 9 was 2013, and 10 was 2018. If I was cynical, I'd say it's so when they do a big release, people get excited about even the little things because they've been starved of incremental updates. At least two reviews I read a couple of years ago raved about the new font in Live 10. Maybe Logic 10.5 will give them a kick up the bottom.

leeleema wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:47 pm
machinesworking wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:18 pm PLus Ableton simply haven't done anything that interesting in quite a while, it's weird. I hope that it's because 11 will blow us all away, but I think it's more that development has taken a back seat to marketing and branding. :borg:
I'm confused by Ableton too. As good as Live currently is, there are lots of small workflow and display improvements they could make. For example, grouping tracks - can anyone tell me why in an expanded group, the group heading actually takes up more vertical space than when you collapse it? Makes no sense at all to me. And they seem to take ages - 9 was 2013, and 10 was 2018. If I was cynical, I'd say it's so when they do a big release, people get excited about even the little things because they've been starved of incremental updates. At least two reviews I read a couple of years ago raved about the new font in Live 10. Maybe Logic 10.5 will give them a kick up the bottom.
Yeah I don't know? I can't predict the machinations of NI or Ableton. Both companies do fantastic inovative things, but they both lag in embracing new standards. NI is poised to be last in line for VST3 and resizable GUI's, Ableton the supposed performance DAW developer has yet to implement MPE.
It's a little weirder with Ableton IMO, since they basically cut out a huge market share from embracing modern UX concepts, pitch/time ideas, and the Clips, Session View. So it's been odd watching them take forever to get us recording automation into Clips, VST3 support and they still don't do MPE natively.

With Maschine it's been the ten year wait for a decent Song timeline, and still no clue as to whether they silently fixed the fact that working in more than one time signature in Maschine, is a math problem, and even synced to a DAW the timeline jumps around wildly because it supports only one time signature.

Anyway I'm not selling Maschine until I see what they did here. I probably still will sell though, I'm over using more than one sequencer at a time to write.

Although I rarely used my Maschine MKII, I am highly interested in the Maschine+ as a hardware sequencer replacement. However, for the price, I expected XLR inputs, and more I/O connections. I might wait to see if a Studio+ version is released.

leeleema wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:47 pm For example, grouping tracks - can anyone tell me why in an expanded group, the group heading actually takes up more vertical space than when you collapse it? Makes no sense at all to me.
It is simple, when unfolded, the tracks simply return to the previous size set by the user.

antic604 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 am
machinesworking wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:43 am...and apparently they are cut down. Maybe not internally, but definitely as far as access to the parameters...
Semantics. One could argue you can't also access all parameters of say FM8 or Massive on Maschine Mk3 attached to a computer, until you use the mouse. So in that sense it's not "cut down" - it's the the same experience.

Although - allegedly - once you access the synth on M+ from plugin browser and not preset browser, the encoders will have access to all the plugin parameters that VST exposes to the host, but I can't imagine this being a pleasant workflow :)

Anyway, best thing about M+ being released is that AKAI will now have to step up their game in terms of MPC Software and standalone synths :pray: Competition is good :box:
Not semantics, there's literally no comparison between using the computer based version of Maschine to edit a parameter and using a mouse, none.

On the other hand if all parameters are published it should be a similar workflow to using Q Links on the MPC, and you get 8 of them over 4. No touch screen, but not a terrible workflow if they set up Massive etc. like Akai set up Tube.

machinesworking wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:55 am
antic604 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 am

Not semantics, there's literally no comparison between using the computer based version of Maschine to edit a parameter and using a mouse, none.
I thought by "cut down" you meant that the way you control the plugins on M+ is somehow restricted compared to Mk3 (without mouse & keyboard), which it isn't. That's all.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:27 am I thought by "cut down" you meant that the way you control the plugins on M+ is somehow restricted compared to Mk3 (without mouse & keyboard), which it isn't. That's all.
Ah, that makes more sense, no I meant like the way Tube is compared to Vacuum, less parameters available, a cut down version. If you can address all of FM8's parameters in M+ that's pretty cool really, if they bothered showing the operator trees in the LEDs.

pottering wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:01 am
leeleema wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:47 pm For example, grouping tracks - can anyone tell me why in an expanded group, the group heading actually takes up more vertical space than when you collapse it? Makes no sense at all to me.
It is simple, when unfolded, the tracks simply return to the previous size set by the user.
No mate, the track that is the 'group' heading, takes up more space when the group is undolded. It makes no sense for it to do that. Try it in arrangement view

leeleema wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:47 pm
I used to work for a software company that held on to the belief.."When the fruit is ripe it will fall from the tree" We didn't make false promises and minor build updates always added features. No annual hype and no fixed release date. We strived for the most features with the least bugs if it took a little longer to do that we'd take the time to get it right. If it took less time than what we thought it would we wouldn't make our customers wait. While I'm no fan of Ableton Live the Daw I am in favor of that Strategy putting development and user experience over marketing.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Where's music computing and muse research when you need them?
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

What we've all been waiting for:

https://youtu.be/gPxQpcJxbJg
Music tech enthusiast

To all you who bought the Maschine+ - how are you getting along with it?
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”