Interesting post-Catalina (OSX 10.15.7) / SonicBirth 1.3.5 discovery

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just updated my studio computer to OSX 10.15.7 Catalina and I was very pleased to discover that all of the 64 bit SonicBirth plugins I had exported using 1.3.5 worked perfectly.

I had one however that would not show up in Logic 10.6.1 but was present in the components folder (which was copied from my OSX 10.14.6 startup drive).

I decided to re-export the AU component so I loaded the file in SonicBirth and exported the AU.
It didn't show up in a forced AU re-scan.

When I looked at the exported component file, I saw that it was only 614 bytes..

The original component had been 314kb

I booted up my computer in OSX 10.14.6 Mojave, launched SonicBirth and re-exported the file, it was 314kb, and when I dragged it into the components folder on the OSX 10.15.7 Catalina drive, it validated and showed up fine in Logic.

It seems that there is a bug in the AU export routine when running in Catalina, but if you can use an earlier OS to do the compiling it works fine.

Yes, I noticed that a few weeks ago. True in macOS 10.15 and 11.0. So now I have 10.14.6 virtual machine that I use to export SonicBirth AU plug-ins. It's also true that SB AU plug-ins, once exported from pre-10.15 OSes, will work in 10.15 and 11. VSTs are OK.

Yesterday, I tested SonicBirth 1.3.5 app (and framework) on a M1 MacBook Air: through the miracle of Rosetta 2, it works. Haven't tested an actual plug-in though, or export for that matter.

To go back to the subject, clearly there are resources that SB relies upon that are missing or locked, or something... I wrote an email to Antoine two weeks ago about the situation, but didn't send it. Not sure if I can convince him this time around...

Kewl wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:18 am Yes, I noticed that a few weeks ago. True in macOS 10.15 and 11.0. So now I have 10.14.6 virtual machine that I use to export SonicBirth AU plug-ins. It's also true that SB AU plug-ins, once exported from pre-10.15 OSes, will work in 10.15 and 11. VSTs are OK.

Yesterday, I tested SonicBirth 1.3.5 app (and framework) on a M1 MacBook Air: through the miracle of Rosetta 2, it works. Haven't tested an actual plug-in though, or export for that matter.

To go back to the subject, clearly there are resources that SB relies upon that are missing or locked, or something... I wrote an email to Antoine two weeks ago about the situation, but didn't send it. Not sure if I can convince him this time around...
Thanks for the reply. You've done exactly what I was hoping to test if (when) I get an M1 based mac.
I am very curious to know if - via Rosetta 2 - SB exports are valid on their own -is a virtual machine required? I am not sure I fully grasp how Rosetta 2 functions.. I'm very happy that you've managed to get that to work via 10.14.6. I'd love to learn more about it if you have any links..!

I am inclined to see if Antoine might be encouraged to unlock some of this if we can present him with a carefully studied analysis of what we're experiencing.

I got sonic birth (1st version) running just fine on an M1 Big Sur as well. Some plug ins definitely work, but some don't. Re-exporting installing seems to work if you are able to load up the sonic birth files first. I think it's just the Mac security seeing the file was created by your computer that helps...

Sonic birth designer as a plug in in logic crashes quiet a bit, but so does almost everything else in logic as well...

Scott, are you saying that you have Sonicbirth 1.31 running in OS 11?

He's using 1.3.5.

Ah, confusing as he's calling it the 1st version..

Sadly, probably the "last" version in fact.. :(

I've noticed that my Sonicbirth 1.3.5 plugins Audio Units in OSX 10.15.7 "Catalina" do not appear in Logic's Plug-In Manager unless they are in the "root" level components folder (/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components). I have been installing them in the "user" level components folder (/Users/cutsummer name here/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components) up until now...

Where can I find this elusive 1.3.5? I'm looking for ways to understand synth development for Mac.

Q-mii wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:29 pm Where can I find this elusive 1.3.5?
Contact me.

1.3.5? What :hyper:
Last edited by hypersonic1990 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kewl wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:57 pm
Q-mii wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:29 pm Where can I find this elusive 1.3.5?
Contact me.
You have Pm :D

I'm having trouble finding 1.3.5 as well if anyone want to help me out. thx!

Return to “SonicBirth”