What's the best apple iPad software for making music (besides GarageBand)?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:16 am Borderlands
Drambo
FabFilter plugins
Eventide plugins
I've never understood how something like ProQ3 works on an ipad. What exactly is it working on? Is it one sample at a time, some ipad DAW so working on individual tracks or what?

leeleema wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:53 pm
Drambo
FabFilter plugins
Eventide plugins
I've never understood how something like ProQ3 works on an ipad. What exactly is it working on? Is it one sample at a time, some ipad DAW so working on individual tracks or what?
Why would it be any different than on your laptop or other computer?

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:05 pm
Drambo
FabFilter plugins
Eventide plugins
That's what I'm asking, do they work as vsts or what? I don't know, I thought I made that clear

leeleema wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:09 pm
Drambo
FabFilter plugins
Eventide plugins
That's what I'm asking, do they work as vsts or what? I don't know, I thought I made that clear
Ahh... got it... they are AUv3 plugins that work in iOS DAW's and other hosting software like AUM.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:28 pm
leeleema wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:09 pm
Drambo
FabFilter plugins
Eventide plugins
Ahh... got it... they are AUv3 plugins that work in iOS DAW's and other hosting software like AUM.
Ah, cool. I thought they were self-contained apps on one sound (same with other effects too) but that didn't seem to make sense. But I get it now. Thanks for clarifying :tu:

iOS stuff could become a huge money sink because it is often way more cheaper than desktop counterparts (if they exists). Think about tiers. There is stuff up to 10$, 20$ and 30$. Everything above 30$ is more or less pretty rare (except the DAWs like Cubasis 3, Auria Pro and apps from fabfilter and IK Multimedia when bought at full price). Plus some apps offer IAPs (in app purchases like additional samplepacks). The majority costs up to 20$ each with 50% sales now and then. And sometimes developers offer bundles.

So in order to avoid that (which imho is nearly impossible) you should first think about what you want to do:

- Do you need audio tracks e.g want to record external gear like synths, guitar, voice etc. or want to use loops?

- Or do you want to work with internal midi stuff only?

- Do you need a "freeze track" function which can be nice if you run out of RAM or CPU power?

- Do you want a "closed" environment without the ability to load additional "external" apps (e.g. Korg Gadget which is similar to Reason before it could load VSTs)?

This is something that I would consider first.

I think at this point the most important thing for me is buying stuff at sale only because most apps are on sale on a regular basis. The only exception would be stuff that I really want badly but otherwise keeping an eye on sales is normally a good idea.

And in my opinion auria pro is not a pro app anymore. At least since fabfilter released their stuff seperately. It feels clunky, it is unstable and way too expensive for what it does.

Another "problem" or annoying situation (at least for me) is how iOS handles files. Unfortunately it is not that intuitive as someone likes to think. Some apps only allow file import via specific ways (e.g. drop box). It is getting better but far away from perfect.

And there is something else to think about. I am making music on my iPad for more than 7 years now. And I am on the audiobus forum for a few years now. A lot of people (myself included) seem to struggle with music production on an iPad because they are used to the classic desktop way. IMHO this is not like it works. For me it is a mix between the classic workflow known from desktop pcs and hardware (because of the touch function but without the "feedback" of using real keys, knobs etc). Something new. If someone starts out new and thinks that stuff can be done like on a desktop environment it might become a huge disappointment. Not necessarily but possible.

And at last some of my favourite apps:

- Audioshare (filehandling made easy especially audio files. Most apps support audioshare nowadays for import & export).

- AUM - (not a DAW but a very elegant and lightweight Audio Mixer with routing options. No Piano roll, timeline, arranger or fancy stuff like that. But optimized for Touch controls and with a "modular" feeling like connecting midi apps and route them to your dedicated synths etc.)

- Suggester (standalone and AUV3) and ChordMaps 2 (satndalone) - (my most beloved composing apps for finding chord progressions or jamming around)

- FAC Alteza (AUV3) - (a reverb for instant ambient fx. Everything which goes in comes out lush and dense and smooth and looooooong and and... XD)

- Aphelian (gorgeous and very unique standalone app that comes with an AUV3 app. Arp, Step Sequencer and so much more)

- Spacecraft (AUV3) - (granular synth optimized for touch display)

- Mononoke (AUV3) - (Drone synth by Bram Bos)
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Halma wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:36 am ...
Thus is really informative and interesting, Halma. Thanks for taking the time. I guess it begs the question, why not just make music on a laptop? It sounds so much harder on an ipad!

leeleema wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:39 pm
Thus is really informative and interesting, Halma. Thanks for taking the time. I guess it begs the question, why not just make music on a laptop? It sounds so much harder on an ipad!
It is not harder, but different. At least for me who got used to a specific workflow.

Why no laptop? Because an ipad is way more mobile (smaller & lighter). Most of the time I have my iPad in my backpack. But not my laptop.

When inspiration strikes me then it takes me at least a few minutes to boot up my laptop, open my daw, load a instrument, create a midi track, use my mouse or trackpad (no keyboard here on the couch or in the train or bus) and paint some notes etc...

On my ipad it takes me maybe 2 seconds to input my code to unlock it, another 3-10 seconds to open up AUM or another DAW, a few seconds more to load an instrument and I am ready to jam or play my idea on the onscreen keyboard. Or I can hum or sing in the inbuilt mic XD.

And it is fun to use. :D

leeleema wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:39 pm
It's fun to make music on the iPad... it works best for me when I embrace the differences.

Auria Pro is the most capable iOS DAW. But it feels like working on the desktop, but just not as good. I much prefer Garageband to Aurio Pro even though it is not nearly as capable. It is well designed for touch on the iPad and feels inviting and fluid and is good enough.

Borderlands is incomparable. It is so hands on and fun! Nothing on the desktop comes close.

So for me, making music on my iPad is a different experience. Very hands on, fun and exploratory. If I tried to replace the desktop/laptop, it would be frustrating. But going with what it is good at, it is really fun.

So right xindy - Auria Pro is the best , but it is too “desktop” or pro tools analog serious....you have to almost be a good pro tools or Cubase user to understand what to do or how to use auria but for what it’s worth if you have an iPad Pro or Air 3/4 , get auria Pro if you are serious bout production. It is the gold standard , like what pro tools was in th past...and you can mix and master in auria Pro

I can’t tell you it’s the only DAW that made me hopeful to record on my iPad Pro

With that said, Cubasis 3 is newer, and updated and constantly updated ....whereas auria Pro has slowed their development, maybe for auria 3? I lov cubasis working with au3 and Audio unit interapp plug in , which auria is starting to get frozen with newer updates to iOS 14

Anyway great post xindy

I've really tried to use Cubasis and Garageband but I've come to the conclusion that I don't like to play with classic DAWs on tablets. Those classic DAWs needs classic input devices to work well in my book.

For me it makes more sense to think of tablets as a flexible groove boxes or portable synths. I really enjoy apps like Drumbo or Zenbeats to be creative when I'm not near a real computer.

Bought Drambo, and the iProphet. Now I'm going to work towards the Electribe Wave, Wavestation and M1. I've got a list of apps I want to download on my new system.

Looks like some apps makers are gradually converting them to 'universal apps' so they can run on M1 Macs.
https://www.synthanatomy.com/2021/01/mo ... macos.html

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”