Diva with Rosetta2 on Apple M1

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zvenx wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:06 pm Depends on the quality setting in Diva.
My PC desktop is in every way spec'ed better than my macbook pro. Yet their performances aren't vastly different.
rsp
What PC desktop and macbook do you have? My 2015 macbook with i7 is a lot slower than my PC desktop.

krraqk wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:50 am
xx JPRacer xx wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:52 pm I have an old i5-3450 CPU from 2011 and on Windows 10 in Bitwig with a cheap external Sound Blaster gaming sound card I can do 11 instances of Diva with the mentioned test @ 48 Khz, 480 samples.

I'm sure a modern desktop i7, i9 or Ryzen 5 or 7 would do A LOT better. When I read about an i7 doing 4-5 instances I had a WTF moment just to realize that was on a laptop. I just can get my head around people making music on laptops.
Had the oportunity to try this "Diva test" in Reaper with a i7 7820 8 cores at 4ghz (all the cores were active in the win10 performance meter) and with 10 Diva instances some crackling start to sound when changing the 6 notes chord, if I let the chord sound forever (not changing any note) I can reach 13 instances, but i thing its not how the test was done?.
So 10/13 instances in a 8 core 7820x @ 4ghz vs 32 instances in the M1, still surprissing this M1 Diva performance.
Must've been something wrong on your end. Unoptimised pc maybe?

I get 16 instances each playing 6 voices (great quality) of preset suggested in the first page without crackling on core i7 4790k, 48khz, 512 samples buffer size while running services in the background like steam, plex server ect.

I get 16 instances each playing 6 voices of preset suggested in the first page without crackling on core i7 4790k, 48khz, 512 samples buffer size while running services in the background like steam, plex server ect.

midi_transmission wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:16 pm
My PC desktop is in every way spec'ed better than my macbook pro. Yet their performances aren't vastly different.
rsp
What PC desktop and macbook do you have? My 2015 macbook with i7 is a lot slower than my PC desktop.

Nuendo 11 | Gigabyte GA X79 UP4 : Intel HEX Core Ivy Bridge Extreme 4930K : 32GB RAM | Windows 10 64bit | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | UAD-2 Quad | AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

Cubase 11 | MacBookPro Retina 2.8Ghz Quad Core I7 | 10.14.6 | 16GB | NI Komplete Audio 6 | UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt Quad | NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

I use both at 64 buffer size.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:04 pm
midi_transmission wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:16 pm
rsp

Nuendo 11 | Gigabyte GA X79 UP4 : Intel HEX Core Ivy Bridge Extreme 4930K : 32GB RAM | Windows 10 64bit | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | UAD-2 Quad | AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

Cubase 11 | MacBookPro Retina 2.8Ghz Quad Core I7 | 10.14.6 | 16GB | NI Komplete Audio 6 | UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt Quad | NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

I use both at 64 buffer size.
rsp
How many instances do you get in both with this Diva test?

Oh I haven't done the test. I meant in general day to day use of the computers using Diva and other software in production work.
rsp
sound sculptist

accessdune3 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:19 pm Must've been something wrong on your end. Unoptimised pc maybe?

I get 16 instances each playing 6 voices (great quality) of preset suggested in the first page without crackling on core i7 4790k, 48khz, 512 samples buffer size while running services in the background like steam, plex server ect.
The results do not seem very coherent, not optimized pc really, but there is not much to optimize in win10, right?

krraqk wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:22 pm
accessdune3 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:19 pm Must've been something wrong on your end. Unoptimised pc maybe?

The results do not seem very coherent, not optimized pc really, but there is not much to optimize in win10, right?
Not right, you would be surprised but some settings in windows 10 and bios can limit performance drastically.

This is a very good but also very technical explanation about audio CPU performance in DAWs

https://youtu.be/GUsLLEkswzE

EDIT: reason why I believe there must be something wrong at your end because the CPU you have (and if it's the desktop which should be because laptop version doesnt have 8 cores) is twice as powerful as the one I have. And I am able to run 16 instances of diva.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 2275vs3038

To many years making music with pc, before win10 it was much more critical (background process was esential) but with win10 its not needed anymore afaik. My LatencyMon is totally green.
Anyway this video lasts 28 minutes dont have much time atm, any critical tweak that you would suggest?
Tried another time the test, closed some apps that were running, 16 instances is the maximum. The 8 cores were working with a consumption of 90%, Instance number 17 was a crack festival.
Your cpu is 4 cores (at 4 ghz?) and this one is 8 cores at 4ghz, same results? not logical at all. Dont know the reason.

accessdune3: in which DAW have you done the test?
Because I installed Bitwig demo and with the same Diva test I get 44 tracks/instances of Diva x 6 voices = 264 voices.
So the problem here maybe its not the pc but the DAW where you run the test.
Or the performance difference between DAWs is brutal or Bitwig is doing some workaround when running copied instances of the same plugin and same preset and chord notes...
xx JPRacer xx: could you try the test in Reaper? I think we will see very different results.

krraqk wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:10 pm To many years making music with pc, before win10 it was much more critical (background process was esential) but with win10 its not needed anymore afaik. My LatencyMon is totally green.
Anyway this video lasts 28 minutes dont have much time atm, any critical tweak that you would suggest?
Tried another time the test, closed some apps that were running, 16 instances is the maximum. The 8 cores were working with a consumption of 90%, Instance number 17 was a crack festival.
Your cpu is 4 cores (at 4 ghz?) and this one is 8 cores at 4ghz, same results? not logical at all. Dont know the reason.
It's worth checking out in general to understand, for your own knowledge.

It's more then cpu, sometimes other devices in the system even like usb controller can be holding the performance down.

I'd suggest to check uefi/bios if speedstep is turned off and if all cores are running at maximum constant frequency.

krraqk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:44 am accessdune3: in which DAW have you done the test?
Because I installed Bitwig demo and with the same Diva test I get 44 tracks/instances of Diva x 6 voices = 264 voices.
So the problem here maybe its not the pc but the DAW where you run the test.
Or the performance difference between DAWs is brutal or Bitwig is doing some workaround when running copied instances of the same plugin and same preset and chord notes...
xx JPRacer xx: could you try the test in Reaper? I think we will see very different results.
I'm using FL studio 20.8 at 48khz, 512 sample buffer size.
Which raw you used before? I've read somewhere that from user tests Reaper is the most efficient even if comes to cpu performance.

I have done the test in Reaper in order to make a comparison, after reading the xx JPRacer xx results on Bitwig, installed the demo with those amazing results.
I use cubase pro 10 and the results are similar to Reaper.

krraqk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:55 am I have done the test in Reaper in order to make a comparison, after reading the xx JPRacer xx results on Bitwig, installed the demo with those amazing results.
I use cubase pro 10 and the results are similar to Reaper.
But did you match the settings? because I just tried the Bitwig, i get more or less the same results in FL Studio. 16 instances, but in truth 15 for a smooth playback.

Going from Bitwig (44 instances) to Cubase/Reaper (13) is way too drastic change, there must be something different in settings you did that there is such a change, double check your AUDIO settings inside the in Cubase/Reaper if they Match Bitwig :)

All is done with the same settings:
Same Diva preset, 6 voices, quality Good, 44.1 khz sample rate, 512 buffer, same audio card...

Return to “u-he”