Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SolarAxix wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:00 pm
OneOfManyPauls wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:35 pm
mrufino1 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:10 pm When you check out, make sure you pay attention to the the part that allows you to specify where the money goes. If I remember Correctly, you have to click on an arrow and then the dialogue appears. If you leave it set to its default, 50% of the money goes to the marketing firm that runs the campaign, 40% is set as a “humble tip” and 10% percent is set as a donation to charity. So for my $20, only two dollars would’ve gone to charity. I switched this to 100% going to charity and none going to the others. This Struck me as something very sneaky. There’s a reason it is hidden I guess. Just something to be aware of.
whilst that might feel noble, if everybody does that then the bundles go away and the charities get nothing ongoing.
I agree with the last statement. Also, it's not the marketing company that gets the money usually, but the vendor. In this case it's Applied Acoustics Systems minus what ever the cost of the transaction is (i.e. Humble Bundles' expenses -- not including the "Humble Bundle tip").

I spend around $2K/year on Humble Bundle, mostly on books and games. I used to give most of my money to the charities for these bundles, but in the last year, I've now started giving more to the vendors themselves. A lot of these vendors are small operations, though there are some that are not. For some of the smaller vendors, it's a way to get a big influx of cash as well as some visibility at the same time as supporting one or two charities.

I will say that the spread tends to be a bit skewed and I don't think that Humble should take a 10% cut. I always reduce the Humble tip (usually down to around 0.50 USD), but that's just my own opinion. In the end, you are free to do what you want.

I would say the big majority of those that purchase bundles on Humble Bundle are fully aware of the ability to chose where their money goes. When there's a niche bundle like the one from Applied Acoustics Systems, those that haven't or rarely purchase from Humble Bundle would possibly not notice the bottom of the page where they can specify where the money goes.
Thanks for clarifying. You are correct, it’s the first time I’ve purchased anything from humble bundle. It says the money goes to something “ventures,” sorry, can’t recall the name, maybe pacific ventures? When I looked them up, their site stated it was a marketing company.

AAS would have agreed to donate the licenses in question, and certainly it would introduce people to their products, but if it had stated that some of the marketing company money was going to AAS and some was going to the company for setting it up, it probably would have clicked with me differently. I do have some AAS products already, but all of the “session” series or sound packs that they gave away to people on their email list or with products registered already, but I am inclined to check out their higher tier products more carefully now.

That info could all be worded more clearly for first timers I guess, but I will keep it in mind next time. As I said, good points you brought up. I’ll keep my original post unedited for context, but I hope that anyone reading sees your replies for balance so they can make their own decision. If I did it again I would pick those ratios differently. I don’t think I’d leave the default, but would not go 0/0/100 like I did.

Glad I could learn a different point of view today.

Kurdish Mayfield wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:31 pm Regarding the recent conversation about Realphones..I tried the demo and was impressed. I went down a rabbit hole of research and rediscovered the Slate Audio VSX Headphones with built in modelling. Anyone here ever used these. Theyre going for $478 currently but I see that Steven Slate is still active with their development. Any insights would help
I have Realphones, VSX and Sonarworks.

I'll list advantages and disadvantages:
Vsx:
+ great rooms, really next level binaural checking /listening, people say it sounds 1:1 to their speakers (atc, ns10)
+ just fun listening to all the different rooms
+Actively developed
+ stable software
+ very good mix problems detection possible
-+ closed back design, although comfortable, but not as eg dt880
- there's a bit of adaptation to the sound needed
- no systemwide, (windows apoeq is a bit buggy, but works after a while, but not as good as vst)
- expensive
- no deeper tuning / customization like mono/lp/hp/BP possible (OK slight eqing is possible, but only to adapt to your ears, not for mix checking or room customization like in Realphones)

Realphones
+ very good correction
+ good room sound emulation (only 1 room/3 speakers, but very customizable)
+ hp lp BP, l/r mono, swap, balance and much more tuning / customization possible
+ great systemwide implementation, stable and just works
+ sounds great if you have good headphones already (I got dt1990, sounds awesome if tuned right)
+ good customer support and features can be requested and will be added shortly after
- less rooms, room sound is not as immersive as VSX

Sonarworks
+ included room measurement and correction
- Software is buggy (vst OK mostly, but systemwide bugs after bugs in each release, I stopped updating some months ago after it was breaking more and more)
- few features in software (they removed features in 4.1 even), some were added but not as good as Realphones feature wise and workfkow is worse
- no room simulation
- no correction presets / hp /lp/bp possible as in real phones

So yeah, I'm using all three because of their advantages. In the studio Sonarworks and VSX mostly. At home Realphones and VSX. 😁

dermage wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:37 pm
- Software is buggy (vst OK mostly, but systemwide bugs after bugs in each release, I stopped updating some months ago after it was breaking more and more)
Just on this issue: I found that with Systemwide as well for some earlier versions. I started running it via Soundsource (https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/). It isn’t bug free itself, but has generally been an improvement for me

Just watched an IK Multimedia NAMM video plugging the new Uno Synth Pro and it mentions a 15% off checkout code, IKBELIEVE21, not sure if it’s locked down just to the synths or how long it lasts, but maybe worth a try on other stuff too unless it’s just for those.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

FYI on Paddy's Irish Percussion by Xtant Audio in the BA thread. The cajón is Peruvian and I have never seen one used in Ireland. The bodhran is pretty epic though, although the tone is modulated by both the left hand and the striking position, so would be hard to make a playable instrument without spending a long time mappint articulations to wheels and keyswitches.
Meh

dermage wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:37 pm
Kurdish Mayfield wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:31 pm Regarding the recent conversation about Realphones..I tried the demo and was impressed. I went down a rabbit hole of research and rediscovered the Slate Audio VSX Headphones with built in modelling. Anyone here ever used these. Theyre going for $478 currently but I see that Steven Slate is still active with their development. Any insights would help
I have Realphones, VSX and Sonarworks.

I'll list advantages and disadvantages:
Vsx:
+ great rooms, really next level binaural checking /listening, people say it sounds 1:1 to their speakers (atc, ns10)
+ just fun listening to all the different rooms
+Actively developed
+ stable software
+ very good mix problems detection possible
-+ closed back design, although comfortable, but not as eg dt880
- there's a bit of adaptation to the sound needed
- no systemwide, (windows apoeq is a bit buggy, but works after a while, but not as good as vst)
- expensive
- no deeper tuning / customization like mono/lp/hp/BP possible (OK slight eqing is possible, but only to adapt to your ears, not for mix checking or room customization like in Realphones)

Realphones
+ very good correction
+ good room sound emulation (only 1 room/3 speakers, but very customizable)
+ hp lp BP, l/r mono, swap, balance and much more tuning / customization possible
+ great systemwide implementation, stable and just works
+ sounds great if you have good headphones already (I got dt1990, sounds awesome if tuned right)
+ good customer support and features can be requested and will be added shortly after
- less rooms, room sound is not as immersive as VSX

Sonarworks
+ included room measurement and correction
- few features in software (they removed features in 4.1 even), some were added but not as good as Realphones feature wise and workfkow is worse
- no room simulation
- no correction presets / hp /lp/bp possible as in real phones

So yeah, I'm using all three because of their advantages. In the studio Sonarworks and VSX mostly. At home Realphones and VSX. 😁
Thanks for the info...much appreciated

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:05 am Just watched an IK Multimedia NAMM video plugging the new Uno Synth Pro and it mentions a 15% off checkout code, IKBELIEVE21, not sure if it’s locked down just to the synths or how long it lasts, but maybe worth a try on other stuff too unless it’s just for those.
Looks like it works on other things - it knocks $22.50 off the price of the MODO Drum Crossgrade, for instance. Of course per usual with IK, you can't use both a discount code and Jampoints at the same time.
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

Ceej wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:25 am ... Of course per usual with IK, you can't use both a discount code and Jampoints at the same time...
:dog: ...making the discount code worthless for pretty much everyone that has an IK account (and thus has been awashed with jampoints) :party:

Any idea if XLN Audio will have sales soon? I am interested in Addictive Drums 2 Custom Bundle. Based on the past trends, it seems that they have great discounts in February?

There has been any sale on Additive Drums 2 since Black Friday IIRC, so hopefully there will be one soon.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:29 am Any idea if XLN Audio will have sales soon? I am interested in Addictive Drums 2 Custom Bundle. Based on the past trends, it seems that they have great discounts in February?
They've had their big sales in mid-March, late August, and Black Friday for at least the past 2-3 years. And the Custom Bundle is definitely the way to go when those sales come up.
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

Ceej wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:01 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:29 am Any idea if XLN Audio will have sales soon? I am interested in Addictive Drums 2 Custom Bundle. Based on the past trends, it seems that they have great discounts in February?
They've had their big sales in mid-March, late August, and Black Friday for at least the past 2-3 years. And the Custom Bundle is definitely the way to go when those sales come up.
Thank you, you are correct. I also observed from the last few newsletters that they have some kind of sales once every two months. Custom Bundle during sale is an exceptional value indeed. GAS is a bit strong, so hope they have a good sale sooner than March. :borg:

Anyone knows if ADpaks (or MIDIpaks and Kitpieces Paks for that matter) selected as part of the Custom Bundle can be transferred/resold in future? I mean if I select one and later realize I want to exchange it for other, is it possible?

Also, does Addictive Drums 2 Custom come with the AD2 Core MIDI Library (5000 files)?

Looks interesting: Synchroarts Vocalign-ultra.

https://www.synchroarts.com/products/vo ... aunch-2021

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:36 am
Thank you, you are correct. I also observed from the last few newsletters that they have some kind of sales once every two months. Custom Bundle during sale is an exceptional value indeed. GAS is a bit strong, so hope they have a good sale sooner than March. :borg:

Anyone knows if ADpaks (or MIDIpaks and Kitpieces Paks for that matter) selected as part of the Custom Bundle can be transferred/resold in future? I mean if I select one and later realize I want to exchange it for other, is it possible?

Also, does Addictive Drums 2 Custom come with the AD2 Core MIDI Library (5000 files)?
When you buy the Custom bundle from a retailer, I'm pretty sure you can transfer them. My non-transferrable kits and midi clearly have OEM stamped on the graphic icons in my account indicating those cannot be transferred, but the ones I originally picked out from the Custom Bundle I bought from Sweetwater do not say OEM on them.

I had that same question on the Core MIDI library, because on the XLN site, it just doesn't say Custom comes with it. When I registered my Custom serial number though, I got the AD2 Core library. It's weird they don't say it. Also strange that the price is the same on the Basic and the Custom, but you actually get MORE MIDI with the Custom bundle, and you get to pick your packs, so doesn't seem to be ANY reason to go with the Basic bundle unless you're someone that just doesn't like options.
Macs M1/M2 / Bitwig 4 / Studio One 6

skiltrip wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:11 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:36 am

When you buy the Custom bundle from a retailer, I'm pretty sure you can transfer them. My non-transferrable kits and midi clearly have OEM stamped on the graphic icons in my account indicating those cannot be transferred, but the ones I originally picked out from the Custom Bundle I bought from Sweetwater do not say OEM on them.

I had that same question on the Core MIDI library, because on the XLN site, it just doesn't say Custom comes with it. When I registered my Custom serial number though, I got the AD2 Core library. It's weird they don't say it. Also strange that the price is the same on the Basic and the Custom, but you actually get MORE MIDI with the Custom bundle, and you get to pick your packs, so doesn't seem to be ANY reason to go with the Basic bundle unless you're someone that just doesn't like options.
Exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you so much for clearing it up. :)

I also find that a bit weird about the Basic and Custom bundle (but it's advantage customers) and I absolutely agree, Custom Bundle is indeed the way to go. :tu:

gondii wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:44 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:40 pm I've bought tons through the UVI site but never had a voucher
maybe it's personal :hihi:
It is odd - I have bought a heck of a lot from them over the years but apart from a voucher for buying Falcon as a former Mach 5 owner I have had nothing. Are these meant to be a yearly thing?

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”