IK announces UNO Synth Pro

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Peter, is there a chance we could get a Syntronik edition of IK's synths? 😁
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I am primarily a VST instrument user, so I rarely buy hardware synths. One of the 2 exceptions in the last 3 years was UNO, because for the money, there was nothing better. However, when it comes to the Pro version, I have mixed feelings about it...the desktop version looks (IMO) bad; while the keyboard version looks cool, this desktop looks more like a rendering and less like an actual product...it looks unfinished.

I was looking forward for more units in the original UNO format / price range (especially something like an 8bit, or fm). A Pro version? Nice, but not for me.

So, congrats on the achievement! But that's about all...
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Well thank goodness how it sounds is more important than how it looks for most of us, although I do agree, looks is still a factor in these things for sure!

Jkist wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:13 am Well thank goodness how it sounds is more important than how it looks for most of us, although I do agree, looks is still a factor in these things for sure!
My point was that at three times the price of original UNO, the desktop Pro version doesn't have a look to match...
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Jkist wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:13 am Well thank goodness how it sounds is more important than how it looks for most of us, although I do agree, looks is still a factor in these things for sure!
It's not only about looks but also functionality. With only 4 pots to control the entire synth engine (vs 20 - 30+ knobs on most hardware synths) everything is more tedious to program. Worst case, it's like the original UNO, where you need an editor or external controller to even be able to access all synth parameters.

I appreciate the input and thoughts and can't wait for people to get to use UNO Synth Pro.

For those interested in UNO Synth Pro, our first live stream from NAMM 2021 Believe in Music Week will be Erik Norlander covering it.

From our NAMM 2021 page
IK’s resident synth guru Erik Norlander offers an exciting new look at the UNO Synth family, bringing next-generation analog to everyone.

Tune in for an exclusive video covering every element of synth design and performance, with tips on shaping the widest range of sounds – from recreating iconic vintage tones to designing the most cutting-edge new soundscapes.

Erik's stream was well-received, check it out if you missed it live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItJJLicZdLA

Sounds really great! I have yet to see a video showing off the filters in this thing, but if they're solid too, I'm most likely gonna snag myself the desktop version.

Never understand why people complain about prices in forums like it's going to make the manufacturer change their mind. Its one thing to say "well too much money for me" and move on but these price comparisons against other manufacturers products are silly. I'm sure IK has their reasoning for pricing it the way they did. If you don't think its worth it then don't buy one.

rezoneight wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:56 pm Never understand why people complain about prices in forums like it's going to make the manufacturer change their mind. Its one thing to say "well too much money for me" and move on but these price comparisons against other manufacturers products are silly. I'm sure IK has their reasoning for pricing it the way they did. If you don't think its worth it then don't buy one.
It's called feedback. If it wasn't important, companies would not spend time monitoring such topics on forums.

As for prices, "too much money for me" is one thing, companies mispricing products is another - sometimes it does happen (remember M-Audio's Venom?)...

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:24 pm i look forward to my freebie for sticking up for you :P

looks much more fun than the original :tu:
The original is great fun, and quite a different beast when paired with 88 note controllers. To me, the 37 keys strikes me as being dropped off in no-mans land, with the new features being held back by the lack of octaves. 61 or more keys, and some good bundled software options at the same price, and I'd start saving $$$ to get one. Why not make both? Is there some market analytics saying five octaves are intimidating? I'm not a fan of octave buttons, it's already hard enough to play something worth playing back, without having to reconoiter a 'feature' off the keybed.

Hope you get to choose your own freebie.

There are Octave +/- buttons so, like the original, it's not restricted to 32 notes. I imagine it's able to respond to the full range of MIDI note numbers. 32 keys is perfect for me and identical to Arturia's KeyStep, which seems to be just about the most popular MIDI controller around.
SLiC wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pmLots to like in the spec (I have the original UNO) but for me €649.99 (€750 with tax?) is way to much in the current market for a small monosynth with very few hands on controls (and It is a bit toy like in looks in my opinion, No Sequential Pro 3!)
Wait on, you are complaining about the price, then comparing it to a synth that is six (6) times more expensive!?!
An expensive analogue synth with just 4 multi function knobs (not even endless encoders?) isn't something I would be interested in at the price, its basicay the same as the UNO that I paid £115 for as a fun little desktop synth...
Pig's arse! This will be 10 times the synth the original is - 3 x Oscillators with cross-mod plus dual filters and 12 on-board effects, including analogue distortion. And it's paraphonic, FFS! I will agree that endless rotary encoders would be a better fit but it's hard to complain when it is such a bargain and I'm sure I'll end up patching it from the VSTi anyway.
bharris22 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:00 pmDunno - with the UNO Pro at $400, I think I would choose the Dreadbox Typhon instead (which could be had for under $350).
Maybe if you are willing to give up the third oscillator, paraphonic operation, cross-modulation, the second filter and the extra modes, and a keyboard so you can actually play it, but to me that seems like a lot of extra features for just another $50.
SLiC wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:17 pmDeepmind 6 POLY will give 37 Semi-weighted full-size velocity-sensitive keys with aftertouch, 4 FX Engines and 12 analogue Oscillators - 2 OSCs and LFOs per voice poly can be had for $600
Deep Mind 6 uses mini keys, not full-size jobbies.
Korg minilogue XD 4-voice Analog Synthesizer also about $640
Also mini keys.
Its a very competitive market now-a-days...$650 for a mono with 4 knobs and a matrix, reminds me of the Waldorf Blofeld
Pricing to me seems aligned with MiniBrute/MicroBrute and Arturia seems to sell enough of those.
MFXxx wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:07 pmIs this going to have a software vst bridge simlar to the Virus /.Electron etc as that would make some sense with the programming etc with minimal knobs to interact witha nd wondering if those are assignable or fixed functions.
The original Uno has a VSTi editor/librarian so I imagine this will, too. The knobs work with a matrix of parameters, like dozens of other synths you can buy.
AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:58 pmSpecs look good, but for that price you kind of expect more hands-on control than what was available on the original UNO. Having the same cramped parameter matrix and 4 pots to control an even more complex synth engine doesn't sound fun.
Why not? It looks extremely well laid out to me, just a few extra rows in the grid - Osc 3, Mod Matrix and FX. There also seem sot be some means of multi-paging each row, too. All easy as if you ask me.
AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:43 amIt's not only about looks but also functionality. With only 4 pots to control the entire synth engine.
Are your eyes painted on? There are 8 pots, all of which are used when patching the synth.
Last edited by BONES on Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Crikey! I've never heard so much pissing and moaning in my life. This thing looks like it will be an absolute belter! At 400 euros (less 15% if you watch the video), it is going to be an absolute bargain. I'll be pre-ordering mine as soon as I get home tonight.

Cross-mod was really the only thing holding Uno back so to get this, plus a third oscillator, is going to make it an absolute beast, I reckon. Of course, I'll be getting the desktop version, the last thing I need is another full-size synth. Hopefully I can get rid of my Analog Keys before this arrives. Very, very exciting stuff!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I agree with you Bones, on the 37 key thing. Its the perfect sweetspot between form factor and playability for me. If I need to I can just plug in my full size midi controller.

BONES wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:42 am Deep Mind 6 uses mini keys, not full-size jobbies.
Deepmind 6 has full keys - afaik so far Behringer has not relased a synth with mini keys.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”