Diva with Rosetta2 on Apple M1

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

krraqk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:28 am All is done with the same settings:
Same Diva preset, 6 voices, quality Good, 44.1 khz sample rate, 512 buffer, same audio card...
48khz test was done at uhe. Tho still strange that there is such difference. Maybe on cubase and reaper you have to turn on/off Multicore option on diva?

In FL i have to have it turned off in diva because I'm enabled in fl settings that multithreading would be always enabled on all plugins in wrapper settings. If I turn on in diva manually on top of the setting i have a terrible performance.

accessdune3 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:17 pm
krraqk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:28 am All is done with the same settings:
Same Diva preset, 6 voices, quality Good, 44.1 khz sample rate, 512 buffer, same audio card...
48khz test was done at uhe. Tho still strange that there is such difference. Maybe on cubase and reaper you have to turn on/off Multicore option on diva?

In FL i have to have it turned off in diva because I'm enabled in fl settings that multithreading would be always enabled on all plugins in wrapper settings. If I turn on in diva manually on top of the setting i have a terrible performance.
Same here in all DAW, Diva multicore NO enabled, the DAW cares about the spread across all the cores. Enabling it degrades performance.

Is the general consensus that going to Apple is the way to go? I’m due for a new PC and I’m wondering if a fully loaded Mac Mini is the way to go, but I might have to get a new audio interface as well, as I’m using an older UAD Apollo 8 FireWire interface and I’m not sure if that’ll work with Thunderbolt.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:44 am Is the general consensus that going to Apple is the way to go? I’m due for a new PC and I’m wondering if a fully loaded Mac Mini is the way to go, but I might have to get a new audio interface as well, as I’m using an older UAD Apollo 8 FireWire interface and I’m not sure if that’ll work with Thunderbolt.
Unless you need something now, I think the general consensus is "wait and see" with all of the rumors of upcoming M1x/M2 Macs on the horizon. These current M1 systems are the entry level models. I've done the Mac <> PC transition several times over the years and there's enough hassle involved to not want to do it again unless I knew I'd be getting something that'll last me for a good number of years.
Last edited by Tronam on Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tronam wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:01 am
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:44 am Is the general consensus that going to Apple is the way to go? I’m due for a new PC and I’m wondering if a fully loaded Mac Mini is the way to go, but I might have to get a new audio interface as well, as I’m using an older UAD Apollo 8 FireWire interface and I’m not sure if that’ll work with Thunderbolt.
Unless you need something now, I think the general consensus is "wait and see" with all of the rumors of upcoming M1x/M2 Macs on the horizon. I've done the Mac <> PC transition several times over the years and there's enough hassle involved to not want to do it again unless I knew I'd be getting something that'll last me for a good number of years.
Oh, I’m sure either way I’ll make something work for a good number of years... I can’t even remember when I got this i7 that I’m currently using... 5 years ago, I suspect. I know it’ll be a hassle to some degree, all computer upgrades are. I guess I’ll wait until April and see what’s what.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:06 am Oh, I’m sure either way I’ll make something work for a good number of years... I can’t even remember when I got this i7 that I’m currently using... 5 years ago, I suspect. I know it’ll be a hassle to some degree, all computer upgrades are. I guess I’ll wait until April and see what’s what.
Don't get me wrong, I love my M1 MacBook Pro so far, but these are the baseline entry level systems and most software is still running through Rosetta right now. Unless you want to run Logic, I really think most people will benefit from waiting a bit. Hopefully we'll also see the updated "pro" version of the Mac mini with 4 USB-C ports.

I want the Apple Silicon 16" MBP - maybe 12 core AS chip, faster graphics too.

And the rumors are that Apple will be adding back some ports like an SD card reader.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:52 pm I want the Apple Silicon 16" MBP - maybe 12 core AS chip, faster graphics too.
I think the 16" MBP will be my first ever Mac. Sounds like it could be a Q2/summer thing. I think by then, a lot of the pain points will have been worked out. Bless the early adopting fools! :wink: :lol:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:23 pm
I think the 16" MBP will be my first ever Mac. Sounds like it could be a Q2/summer thing. I think by then, a lot of the pain points will have been worked out. Bless the early adopting fools! :wink: :lol:
Dunno, but i'm so happy i sold my i5 13" while it was still worth something - and i'm selling my intel mini tomorrow.
imo fools are people still buying intel (esp macs) today :wink:
this thing is so insanely well executed it puzzles me how its physically possible.

Ploki wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:44 pm
Dunno, but i'm so happy i sold my i5 13" while it was still worth something - and i'm selling my intel mini tomorrow.
imo fools are people still buying intel (esp macs) today :wink:
this thing is so insanely well executed it puzzles me how its physically possible.
The only things I really worry about are software compatibility (I was burned by the move from Motorola) and connectivity. What I want is a tower with a full complement of i/o and PCIe slots, etc.
Zerocrossing Media

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:52 pm I want the Apple Silicon 16" MBP - maybe 12 core AS chip, faster graphics too.
Bless them indeed... they are busy making it easy for me! :hihi:

The chips themselves I am confident in cause Apple has been doing it for years already with iOS. Mostly it is all the other stuff that needs to adapt... like audio interface drivers, plugins, etc. Even if it is not all ported, I'll be getting the 16"MBP pro the day it ships... I'm looking forward to not hearing fans regularly!

I'm really happy with the new M1 Mac Mini I picked up (early adoption fool, I guess). It can run my Live set and my homemade graphics program at 60fps/1080p, and if the fan is coming on, I can't hear it. And that's before any of the audio stuff is optimized, even.

neuromod wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:32 am I'm really happy with the new M1 Mac Mini I picked up (early adoption fool, I guess). It can run my Live set and my homemade graphics program at 60fps/1080p, and if the fan is coming on, I can't hear it. And that's before any of the audio stuff is optimized, even.
Could you share how it behaves at high load and low laency?
Would you mind doing this Diva test at 512 and 64 samples in reaper?

how many notes should each diva instance be playing?

so, Logic Pro X
I did a chord, so 3 notes per instance, quality great, BS Deep Space Diva
no multicore option, 44.1k.
@256 and "4 cores (high performance), 33 tracks (32 if logic is in native mode)
@1024 and "8 cores (4 high + 4 efficiency), 52 tracks (51 if logic is in native mode)

seems like if you're running rosetta plugs, you get better efficiency by running logic in rosetta mode.
which is too bad, because logic itself is much snappier in native mode, load time is halved.

Return to “u-he”