How to use math (and programming) in sound design?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Klinke wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:12 pm
SteffenPL wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:27 pm It is possible to use faust-vst and still get to the point of actually making music?
Or will each individual sound take very long to be created?
I'm not sure if I understand your questions. When you make your tools for creating music by yourself, of course there is a risk that you spent more time in making tools then music. In my case, I would estimate that I split my time half/half. But if you have fun while working on your tools, who cares?

And sharing your tools can make you a lot of friends (e.g. a lot of people are using the Mackie Control extension I wrote for Reaper).
Yes, you got the question right. I just wanted to make sure that it's not a hobby which pulls me inevitably away from actually making music. Something like half/half sounds good!

FM synthesis is all bout maths. I made a few videos about explaining how to. And keep coming back to FM every now and then.

Euclidean rhythms, or polyrhythms are another applications of (simple) maths that helps being creative.

But other than that... music is about feelings, and feelings have no analytical solution :borg:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

SteffenPL wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:40 pm Yes, you got the question right. I just wanted to make sure that it's not a hobby which pulls me inevitably away from actually making music. Something like half/half sounds good!
I think you mentioned that you might need to learn more about sounds and synths overall.

So perhaps start with easy frameworks to develop your own synths and effects? The MuLab DAW (mutools.com) comes to mind, as it includes MUX, which lets you create stuff really easily and which sounds great. Note that MuLab 8 is free atm.

Another option is the scripting engine from BlueCatAudio. I think it's the scripting code they use themselves for their plugins.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:02 pm FM synthesis is all bout maths. I made a few videos about explaining how to. And keep coming back to FM every now and then.
(the link to youtube from your profile here didn´t work for me.)

watched all three FM videos, learned a lot, it´s a bit complicated though. Can i ask you some stuff, how to use the formulas and charts you showed?

Could be always done better :P

Formulas explain what kinds of partials are generated from particular setup, and what is their power. The power can be dialed in or reduced by ear, so the "sound design" is all about the algorithm.

Partials can be harmonic or inharmonic, set to specific interval (like 3:2 or 10:7), starting from zero or from the middle of a spectrum, filtered or boosted. There are also possibilities for unison, pseudo-noise. All of these can be combined, or multiplicated with many operators.
the link to youtube from your profile here didn´t work for me
Screw KVR, they redirect to "user" instead of "channel" and don't let me enter full address :help:
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:49 am Could be always done better :P
yes, but at a high level it will be very much effort to do just a little improvment. :)

watched part 1 again, still don´t understand:

f=f0+-Km

f0 is frequency of carrier osc
m is frequency of modulator osc
f is frequency of added partial

but i have no clue what K is?? (what value to put in here?)

what exactly are the operators doing?

working with vital, but maybe other synth is easier/has more options for FM?

(for your link, maybe add it to signature, most people probably don´t check profile at all.)

K can be any integer (for harmonics) or any real number (for inharmonics).

To make that work as intended your modulator should snap value to full integers and also have fine tuning. This is why dedicated FM synth is needed, and that's why I use Ableton Operator. FM8 also has it, as well as Massive X, Toybox FM synth. Dune 2/3 FM osc has kind of ratios stepped by 0.5.

ok so probably should try a dedicated FM synth.

thank you very much.

So if you really want to hear some results within a not too great timeframe, this might be the place to start:

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/blue-cat- ... g-in-51041

I'd go with that or MUX, just to see what is of interest, before digging in with DSP, FM, the VST format etc.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

In My opinion, efficiency is the only math to worry about if you want excitement. Good luck.

Get max for live

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”