Which developers are a safe bet for longevity.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ThomasHelzle wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:49 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:24 pm they say that a baby of today will see people born, who will be immortal.
so one of them maybe. if they can be arsed coding, i guess if you're immortal, you would eventually once you've done everything else possible if not before.
but i doubt any of us will be around then.
Even if there ever should be something like "immortality", those people will drop just as dead when hit with a brick, by a virus, by cancer, by suicidal boredom...
I don't think this will change much actually when it comes to software longevity, even now people have second careers since we live longer, and that second career may well be something different from coding, since that is very one-sided as far as human capabilities go...

But hey, tealeavereading is a time honoured profession so whatever floats everybody's boat :-)

I stay with my grandmother who was known to say: "Nothing is more permanent than change".
Everything else is just so much hot air :-)

Cheers,

Tom
back up clones.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:00 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:42 pm I don't think that the examples you guys gave are better than good payware. VLC isn't the best video player either. There are much better payware players. Firefox is a good browser though. Event though I still think Chrome, Edge or Vivaldi are faster, prettier and better to use. But, the difference is much smaller as with Libre Office, VLC or GIMP.
"Better", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder and depends on your priorities as well as features or look.
Nope. If a picture editing programs compression algorithms produce a worse picture, or bigger file size, if the automation processes aren't present, and if the GUI makes operating the program more tedious, or simply look like a POS, it's pretty objectively worse.

Anyway, I don't expect a proper discussion when the Open Source gift horse argument is applied the whole time. If Open Source software is as good as hundreds or thousands of € worth payware to you, then... who am I to convince you otherwise. :shrug:

chk071 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:10 pm
ThomasHelzle wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:00 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:42 pm I don't think that the examples you guys gave are better than good payware. VLC isn't the best video player either. There are much better payware players. Firefox is a good browser though. Event though I still think Chrome, Edge or Vivaldi are faster, prettier and better to use. But, the difference is much smaller as with Libre Office, VLC or GIMP.
"Better", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder and depends on your priorities as well as features or look.
Nope. If a picture editing programs compression algorithms produce a worse picture, or bigger file size, if the automation processes aren't present, and if the GUI makes operating the program more tedious, or simply look like a POS, it's pretty objectively worse.

Anyway, I don't expect a proper discussion when the Open Source gift horse argument is applied the whole time. If Open Source software is as good as hundreds or thousands of € worth payware to you, then... who am I to convince you otherwise. :shrug:
strange thing, when it was about the melda ui making the plugins useless & inoperable for some users, you're position was different on beauty, missing/hidden features, operating the program in a too tiny window, ...

I wasn't aware that it was a fact that the Melda GUI's are inferior. Obviously it is for you, otherwise you wouldn't talk like that. I consider them pretty functional, and decent looking. Not the best GUI's I've ever seen, but by far not the worst either.

If you want to take a look at a complete POS GUI, take a look at Audacity. Talking about Open Source and stuff.

chk071 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:19 pm I consider them pretty functional, and decent looking. Not the best GUI's I've ever seen, but by far not the worst either.
so your arguments are subjective then and not objective. or just how you need them, right? :D

chk071 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:10 pm
ThomasHelzle wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:00 pm "Better", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder and depends on your priorities as well as features or look.

Nobody here has applied the "gift horse" argument. Just the "immortal horse" argument.

As far as algorithms in picture editing are concerned they all use the same anyway. Obviously photoshop has a huge advantage at fully automatic image manipulation over GIMP. But the tools for editing are largely identical.

I wish there was an open source DAW of quality as high as GIMP.

frizzbee wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:25 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:19 pm I consider them pretty functional, and decent looking. Not the best GUI's I've ever seen, but by far not the worst either.
so your arguments are subjective then and not objective. or just how you need them, right? :D
Did you read my second last post? Obviously not.

What if I would call the most functional and best looking GUI, which is perceived by the most as a very good GUI as completely bad and non-functional? Maybe you're simply wrong in regards of the Melda GUI's.

chk071 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:29 pm
frizzbee wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:25 pm
Did you read my second last post? Obviously not.

What if I would call the most functional and best looking GUI, which is perceived by the most as a very good GUI as completely bad and non-functional? Maybe you're simply wrong in regards of the Melda GUI's.
yeah and that's why melda is known for the most functional and best loking GUI all over the place. but sure it's always the others that are wrong :wink: anyways enough offtopic, it's just your OpEn SoUrCe Is BaD arguments (edit: of course i mean your post about beauty. i felt i need to specifiy that more because you like to rant about such details as fake news) are not objective. that's what i pointed out
Last edited by frizzbee on Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frizzbee wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:35 pm yeah and that's why melda is known for the most functional and best loking GUI all over the place.
I never said that they are. :shrug:
chk071 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:19 pm I wasn't aware that it was a fact that the Melda GUI's are inferior. Obviously it is for you, otherwise you wouldn't talk like that. I consider them pretty functional, and decent looking. Not the best GUI's I've ever seen, but by far not the worst either.
Regardless of whether I am right or wrong in Melda's case, I don't see how it would contribute to this discussion. You just felt the need to add a snippy comment towards me, that's all.

There's absolutely no doubt that there are certain guidelines on how to create functional, clear, and good looking GUI's though. Open Source and Linux software was never known for that. No wonder, if you spent decades working on the command line...

Open Source is of course the best bet I think. Even if the orignal project gets abandoned, some other guy will pick it up and care for it. One of the examples in audio industry was SMexoscope iirc.

From payware audio devs I hope fabfilter is. I hope avid is. I hope uhe is. I hope uad will be. On the other hand there are some I think are not a safe bet. Tone2 imo (I thought he has problems and just has temporarily high). Meldaproduction imo (the rants about mac and their users as well as the massive amount of cheap plugins). I think waves is not a safe bet either due to them only making money with sales at all. I feared FL Studio would not be a safe bet because of their lifetime free update policy but so far they managed to keep it up, grow and still make money with additional content.
Last edited by mike_the_ranger on Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hahaha - yeah, Melda really is the best example for how bad things can go with commercial software and GUIs... ;-)
At least the dev will live forever, since he is absolutely sure to be god, so no trouble with longevity.

But anyway, I'm out of here since this has gone in a rather silly direction from what was intended.
Let's talk again in 10 years and see where we are... ;-)

Cheers, over and out,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:45 pm hahaha - yeah, Melda really is the best example for how bad things can go with commercial software and GUIs... ;-)
At least the dev will live forever, since he is absolutely sure to be god, so no trouble with longevity.

nietzsche just asked me to hold his coat...

chk071 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:37 pmThere's absolutely no doubt that there are certain guidelines on how to create functional, clear, and good looking GUI's though
https://imgur.com/a/egh7MEp

The death of FXpansion Geist 2 has caused me to bump this thread. I still suffer anxiety over where to invest my money for the long term (rightly or wrongly).

Did Geist 2 suddenly stop working?

Serious question.

Return to “Instruments”