VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

Ahhh..
rsp
sound sculptist

v1.3.2 still doesn't fix my issues with 'stepping' of some parameters, mainly 'env mod' and 'PW mod' (they're not continuous or smooth).
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I just watched the 6/8 comparison video, and I wish they could be combined. 8 especially misses the 2nd LFO so much. :( But being able to combine waveforms is also incredibly nice.

It's kinda like the difference between OB-X and OB-Xa. Didn't Synapse Audio combine the two in their Obsession? That's where the power of software really shows - you can make the dreams come true, and what's the most important make the old synth be able to make sounds beyond its original capabilities! ;)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Nope Synapse didn't quite combine the two. Theirs is OB-Xa with doubled voice count (optionally). OBX still sounds the best out of the OBs.

Also, the J-6 and J-8 use different osc's, filters, different (digital vs analog) envelopes, the 6 has that second LFO...they're called Jupiter's and look similar, but I think that video shows pretty clearly they're two completely different synths. Not just a "little brother" type of deal.

If you were modeling a Jupiter-6, you'd likely be starting entirely from scratch.

The filter is actually the same as in Jupiter-8, IR3109. It's just configured differently.

DuX wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:11 pm I just watched the 6/8 comparison video, and I wish they could be combined. 8 especially misses the 2nd LFO so much. :( But being able to combine waveforms is also incredibly nice.

It's kinda like the difference between OB-X and OB-Xa. Didn't Synapse Audio combine the two in their Obsession? That's where the power of software really shows - you can make the dreams come true, and what's the most important make the old synth be able to make sounds beyond its original capabilities! ;)
I think they only took the cross mod from the OB-X. They didn’t model the OB-X oscillators or filters or anything else.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:10 pm The filter is actually the same as in Jupiter-8, IR3109. It's just configured differently.
I also wouldn't agree about the envelopes being digital, maybe just a bit different. However, the OSCs are definitely different, there is no doubt, as the guy said in the video.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Envelopes and LFOs are definitely digital in Jupiter-6, vs analog envelopes in Jupiter-8.

Damn, had to purchase :)

Not the sexiest patch but damn if a little crossmod doesn't go a long way to getting a round, Rickenbacker bass tone, with that little touch of harmonic distortion (courtesy of nothing - this is straight JP-8) that helps it sit in the mix.

(I'm always suprised listening to isolated bass tracks - even with P and Jazz basses, how much distortion is typically added to get the bass to punch through on smaller speakers - a trend going back in the 70s).

Probably never use it, but fun to patch. It's like the 80s, only now I kinda know what I'm doing.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-cat/jp-8-bass

Nice patch!

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:03 pm Envelopes and LFOs are definitely digital in Jupiter-6, vs analog envelopes in Jupiter-8.
I didn't know that. So 6 is full of ICs. Roland cutting corners to sell more. That's a shame. But it still sounds great. Thanks ED. Oh well, there's no doubt our J-8's envelopes are digital, however VA digital. :tu:
Last edited by DuX on Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Well it's not a shame because they are a bit better quality in JP-6 than the quantized ones from Alpha Juno etc... And they even have a nice mild S-shaped curve rather than linear.

Still sounds great, doesn't matter if envelopes are digital! Not all digital envelopes are the same.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:51 pm Well it's not a shame because they are a bit better quality in JP-6 than the quantized ones from Alpha Juno etc... And they even have a nice mild S-shaped curve rather than linear.

Still sounds great, doesn't matter if envelopes are digital! Not all digital envelopes are the same.
u-He Diva has models for both the digital and analog envelopes, and for digital a selection between the quantized and curve versions, but I have to admit I usually don't recall hearing much of a difference except in a few patches, though I haven't played with sound design in Diva lately (will need to now!).

I suppose it's one of those things you don't notice much until you do for a particular sound, then you can't not notice it, and then you're the guy going on about it while everyone else asks why it's a big deal. Sometimes it's better NOT to have the choice :D

DuX wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:49 pm I didn't know that. So 6 is full of ICs. Roland cutting corners to sell more. That's a shame.
Making it cheaper was the whole point of the Jupiter-6.
Stormchild

Return to “Instruments”