Zebra 3 feature suggestions

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please make the parametric EQs from the FX section available in the Main Grid. There's a lot of voicing potential there.

groumpf wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:28 pm I forgot a thing :
when I select a wave preset, it should be possible to get only the waveform, without the other OSC parameters because I started to change all OSC parameters and then searched for another waveform and BAM, the preset has overwrited all I done.
+1 on this one for sure! Drives me nuts to get some subtle (or not :) ) modulation perfectly tweaked, decide to try it on other waveforms and -poof- all my work on the modulation is deleted.

SynthasaurusRex wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:26 am Please make the parametric EQs from the FX section available in the Main Grid. There's a lot of voicing potential there.
Hell yeah! Z2 as well if someone gets bored at u-he...

Following up a bit on my last question about live performance, is there any chance there will be a standalone version of the plugin?

Hello! Sorry if this has been discussed already, but my main feature request is to please not reduce the number of modmatrix slots and MSEGs from the number in the current ZebraHZ version. I've read a few pages of this thread and u-he seems to be focusing on simplifying the synth, and while I agree that's awesome (especially the unification of MSEGs, LFOs, OSC waveforms etc), I'm a little afraid that Zebra 3 will be less powerful than ZebraHZ is right now.

"You don't need lots of modmatrix slots!" Try synthesizing something on the level of an acoustic piano with only 12 modulation slots. My point is, personally I tend to focus a lot on physical modelling; and in addition to the comb filters you also need to program a lot of nuances that come from how instruments are played, not to mention natural pitch, envelope and tone imperfections, all of which really eat up modmatrix slots. ZebraHZ is awesome for this, I hope I won't need it on the side when Zebra 3 comes.

Either that, or maybe you could also consider adding the functionality to modulate more than one target using one modmatrix slot? And maybe some sort of remapping function to remap the same modulation to fit the different targets? Maybe that could simplify the modmatrix, keeping the number of slots at 12 without (significantly) reducing the functionality.

All in all, thanks for all the hard work, love your synths, and patiently waiting for Z3.

Not to speak for Urs and co, but I've always gotten the sense that them using the word 'simplification' wasn't so much about limiting the feature set (because goodness knows they haven't expanded Z2 as much as they have over the years to suddenly rein things back), so much as organizing things better. I think I remember Urs saying that the filter section and XMF filters were gonna be put together, as an example. So maybe a better word is actually "streamlining" which I'm definitely all for it :).

charlesnyiha wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:52 amI'm a little afraid that Zebra 3 will be less powerful than ZebraHZ is right now.
No chance of that :)

Howard wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:13 am
charlesnyiha wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:52 amI'm a little afraid that Zebra 3 will be less powerful than ZebraHZ is right now.
Thank goodness :)

Howard wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:13 am
We want some snippnet, please :-)

I have some more, also conceptional suggestions for Zebra 3:

Detailed control of pitchdrift

A detailed control (a.k.a. a knob) of the pitchdrift feature would give the user a finer control esp. in mixing situations. Even make pitchdrift mod matrix / polyphonic compatible, so for instance, you could keyfollow it, so bass notes or not drifting, but higher notes are. If I use a lot of Zebra instances with pitch drift ON, the pitch sum then might tend to be too instable. An instance alone can sound great, but maybe not so anymore in mixing context. Now only switching it off might be too drastical.

Also I am not sure how the pitchdrift works mathematically (Evildragon was was assuming some brown noise function), but it could be very nice, if the pitchdrift was also available as modulation source! So the whole pitchdrift could be a module instead, with even more control, e.g. pitch drifting speed.

More filter types for modern sound design approaches

The current filter battery in Zebra 2 sounds really impressive. Each filter has a real character and is very usable. But in some areas, there might be specific filter types missing which are used in more modern sound design approaches, for example in layering techniques. I found out the Renoise actually is providing really good sounding and clever filter types here. Some examples:

Such step filter types, even with those resonant edges sound quite nice. You might give it a try in Renoise, using it as a mixing or layering filter. Having such filters directly in the synth, being able to keyfollow, would open a lot of new possibilities.

Refactoring the filter selection, fade between lp/bp/hp

Currently you the filter algorithm and type are coupled. But having a smooth fading between LP / BP / HP opens a lot of additional possiblities. The filters could be grouped into filter algorithm, and each filter providing such a type fade (by type I mean lp/bp/hp). For example, if a keyfollowing patch has too much bass, you simply can slightly fadein the bp a bit. I guess that is pretty easily done in code, if you use the same algorithm and then at the end only add/subtract.

More workflow features like a “pro” app

Stuff like “duplicate module” (ALT modifier + moving a module could duplicate it), shortcut for deleting a module (DEL), moving modules with cursor keys, etc. Smooth scrolling of scrollbars, just like in the OS. Making it feel like a “professional” application.

Those are just your basic "perfect" digital biquads... I somehow feel it'd be beneath Urs to include those in Z3 :)

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:55 pmI somehow feel it'd be beneath Urs to include those in Z3 :)
Those are banned at u-he, with *very* few exceptions.

Ooh ooh, what are the exceptions? :)

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:56 pm Ooh ooh, what are the exceptions? :)
filters which do not change frequency and operate in a range where the numerical inaccuracies don't matter.

Please, sneak peak of the Synth, i cant wait another 5 years :-(

Return to “u-he”