Possible to build 64 outputs of note dispatch?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a 64-note controller* that I would like to use to switch between synth patches (or anything else really...) and am wondering if there's a way to chain multiple note dispatch devices to get 64 channels.

Actually 128, so if it's possible to get 128 then even better. Which I figure if I can go from 16 to 64 then 128 should be doable.

Please elaborate on what you want to do musically.
Maybe with a link to an example?

I am currently exploring ways to put my midi fighter 64 to use with MuLab.

For this particular question, I am constructing a “live-inspired” production project, where I can gather together a bunch of instrument patches on a single rack, and press the buttons on my MF64 to switch between them.

Although now that I’ve had some more experience with Note Dispatcher, it might not be the right approach. Because what I’d really like to do is enable multiple layers at once.

So musically what it looks like is:

- I play on my midi keyboard to trigger synths
- I use the MF64 to enable / disable synth layers

That’s it for this question. This setup would allow me to very quickly explore multiple sound layer combinations.

What about making a custom MUX patch with a bunch of "Note Gaters" in it, but set to Latch mode, each one for controlling a different synth layer.

That sounds promising! What modules would that involve? I don't see "gate" or "latch" referred to anywhere in the documentation. I also haven't seen any modules that look anything like that.

The Note Gater is a MUX preset. It's based on a Note Pad module, an ADSR and an Amplifier.

My suggestion is that you create a custom MUX with a couple of such Note Gaters (or build from ground up using the above mentioned modules) so you can switch on-off audio paths using note events.

See attached project. It's just a draft example.
The top track plays a mux with 2 synth layers.
These layers can be switched on-off by playing C-1 / C#-1 respectively.
Hope this helps to get you started.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

(I haven't gotten to try that project file, it's from a newer version that I don't have. I am using 8.6.26 which is the version I downloaded from the website the other day.)

That's interesting, but I'm not sure that it works in this particular case. It uses a note event to gate an audio signal, right? So effectively I would have to send the original MIDI note to all 64 synths at once, generate the audio signals, and then gate the ones that I want. That's useful, but not what I'm going for here. It's also inefficient to generate 64 audio signals and throw away 63 of them... What I want to do is gate the actual MIDI notes, not the audio signal. So if I've pressed buttons 1 and 2 on my MF64, then notes I play on my keyboard only get sent to instruments 1 and 2.

If I've misunderstood the patch then please let me know. I'll experiment with it more later to see if there's a way to gate midi notes rather than audio signals.

Also, I don't see any mention of "latch" in the Note Gater preset or any other preset. So how do you latch in MuLab?

First of all: Please use the latest (beta) version, see viewtopic.php?p=8016948#p8016948
The docs will be updated later when M8.7 is officially released.

Yes that previous project switches the audio paths, i misunderstood that that was what you wanted.

Attached the same project but now switching event paths with C-1 and C#-1.

It's just a draft example to get you going.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ah okay that makes perfect sense. A lot simpler than what I had in mind! I should be able to get that working for my needs. I will need to figure out the toggle-mode feedback to my MIDI controller too, otherwise it'll be hard to keep track of what sounds are on.

btw you mentioned something about "latch" which could come in handy for my purposes. Can you point me to what part(s) of MuLab support some latch behavior?

padillac wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:14 am Ah okay that makes perfect sense. A lot simpler than what I had in mind! I should be able to get that working for my needs.
:tu:
I will need to figure out the toggle-mode feedback to my MIDI controller too, otherwise it'll be hard to keep track of what sounds are on.
I hope another user can help there or you get it going yourself. I hope you understand i only have very limited time resources and cannot help with each and every specific mux patch help request, sorry. I need to continue on M9 too and that's still a serious amount of work.
btw you mentioned something about "latch" which could come in handy for my purposes. Can you point me to what part(s) of MuLab support some latch behavior?
Please see the M8.7 beta topic: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=558998
The Event Pad now also has a Latch mode, as well as the new MIDI CC Pad module.

mutools wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:10 am
I will need to figure out the toggle-mode feedback to my MIDI controller too, otherwise it'll be hard to keep track of what sounds are on.
I hope another user can help there or you get it going yourself. I hope you understand i only have very limited time resources and cannot help with each and every specific mux patch help request, sorry. I need to continue on M9 too and that's still a serious amount of work.
Yes absolutely. Thank you so much for your help already!
Please see the M8.7 beta topic: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=558998
The Event Pad now also has a Latch mode, as well as the new MIDI CC Pad module.
Ah perfect! I believe I will be able to use that to build my toggler. Thanks :clap:

Return to “MUTOOLS”