VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Analog Lab Pro Arturia Prophet VS Sound Library V Collection X

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:06 am
planetearth wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:51 am
Arashi wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:05 pm
ecasasmusic2 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:47 pm You may be right but to be fair you have to compare it with the real MiniMoog , not with Legend, Monark, etc. This is copy-paste of a comment I read recently in another forum from a person that did the real side-by-side comparison.

"This is just a general observation. I recently repaired a Moog Voyager and had it in my studio for a while. This is something many cannot do but I compared it to Arturia Mini V. Side by Side. If you are wondering is the actual Voyager way better then Mini V the answer is that it is not. In fact I can get the two of them sounding so close to each other its literally impossible to tell them apart. That says a lot about the quality of Arturia software. They HAVE done an amazing job of replicating these things. I can get Mini V to produce the same earth shattering floor shaking bottom end the Voyager does."
Mini V isn't terrible. It just isn't as good as the other emulations I mentioned.

As for comparing it to a Voyager, well, the Voyager is not a Model D (it's a modern reimagining of it, and it wasn't well received), and it's not what Arturia was attempting to emulate. Fortunately, you don't have to own a Minimoog to know what they sound like, because it's the most famous synth of all time. They were so pervasive in the 70s and early 80s that many people called every synthesizer a "Moog" (in the same way that many people call all facial tissues "Kleenex").

Here's one of my favorite Minimoog basslines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWurqD68u70

I've made this patch with Mini V, The Legend, Monark, Model 72, and Moog's own Model D app. The patch I made with Mini V sounds pretty decent…until I compare it with the other emulations, and then it's immediately obvious that it doesn't sound anywhere near as good.

[SNIP]
Interesting. Of the synths you mentioned, which would you say got you the closest to an actual Minimoog Model D sound (assuming you have an accurate reference)? Over time, I've somehow collected the Mini V (the original and updated versions), Monark, Moog's Model D app, IKMM's Syntronik Memory-V (which I know is more of a Memorymoog emulation) and even a Behringer Model D -- all for free. I'm not a Moog enthusiast, but I'm always interested in learning about the synth and its history.

Steve
1. How did you get all that for free?

2. What's your opinion since you have a behringer as comparison, which seems to sound closer than any of the plugins?

----------

I have most of the minimoog plugins but I have no idea which sounds closest to the real thing but I personally think the Arturia moog stuff sounds completely fine.
Well, Arturia gave away the initial version of the Mini V. Then the upgraded/final (so far) version came either from that or as part of one of the V Collections I bought.

In a similar way, Monark came with NI's Komplete 11, which I bought for Kontakt 5, Battery 4 and some of the other instruments. (I guess Monark was factored in to the upgrade price for Komplete 11, but I was going to buy that anyway. And since I almost never use Monark, I don't really think about having paid for it, though technically I did.)

IKMM gave away the Memory-V to spur some interest in Syntronik. (I think they also gave away a Minimoog Model D, but I missed that.) I also have IKMM's SampleMoog, which I got as part of a "Group Buy", so I guess that was technically free, too! I just don't use it anymore, since SampleTank 3 (and now ST4) can load the SampleMoog sounds directly.

Last June(?), Moog gave away the iOS app for Model D, ostensibly to make our lives easier as we entered "lockdown".

Finally, a friend very graciously and generously bought and gave me the Behringer Model D for helping him rebuild his PC. (It took many hours because we were doing it via FaceTime with him in San Diego and me in Tampa.)

As I mentioned, I'm (ironically) not really a Moog enthusiast -- their synth heyday was about 4 years before I started getting into synths. I don't have any hands-on experience with a "real" Moog -- except for the one they made for RadioShack. (And I just got Cherry Voltage Audio's emulation of that for free a few weeks ago!)

Frankly, I have more damn Moog synths/emulations/samples than anyone really needs -- especially anyone who's more into programmable/polyphonic/MIDI-compatible/"digital" synths, or at least, synths from 1982 to 2002. I should probably stop grabbing Moog freebies or start learning to use the damn things properly! :roll:

All that said, I'd say the Behringer is the closest to the "real" Model D as far as features and sound. But I'm only basing that on what I've heard from compressed audio in YouTube videos or Spotify streamed audio. I'm with you though, in that the Arturia sounds completely fine. It's the easiest (for me) to use in a track, and I defy anyone to tell the difference in a mix. The Behringer is fun to play with, especially routing audio through it. But not being able to play more than one note at a time -- and having to pull up the photo on my phone to see the settings of a sound I used in a project -- is less convenient than I'm used to. But it's great for getting some cool sounds from it, even if you don't entirely know what you're doing!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:51 amInteresting. Of the synths you mentioned, which would you say got you the closest to an actual Minimoog Model D sound (assuming you have an accurate reference)? Over time, I've somehow collected the Mini V (the original and updated versions), Monark, Moog's Model D app, IKMM's Syntronik Memory-V (which I know is more of a Memorymoog emulation) and even a Behringer Model D -- all for free. I'm not a Moog enthusiast, but I'm always interested in learning about the synth and its history.
I'm not fortunate enough to have a real one to compare it to, so I can only say which ones sound subjectively good to my ears. For me, The Legend and Model 72 are tied for first place (each has different strengths). Monark is a close second.

Setting aside accuracy and speaking only of what sounds good, which of the ones you have is your favorite?
Stormchild

planetearth wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:01 am The Behringer is fun to play with, especially routing audio through it. But not being able to play more than one note at a time -- and having to pull up the photo on my phone to see the settings of a sound I used in a project -- is less convenient than I'm used to. But it's great for getting some cool sounds from it, even if you don't entirely know what you're doing!
Better than making a photo would be to load an emulation and set it to the same parameter values. Even if the sound isn’t exactly the same the idea is stored and you can replay it close enough without setting up everything again...
Would also be a strategy for Eurorack patches. You like your creation? Just redo it in VCV and you can save it...

Arashi wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:11 pm
planetearth wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:51 amInteresting. Of the synths you mentioned, which would you say got you the closest to an actual Minimoog Model D sound (assuming you have an accurate reference)? Over time, I've somehow collected the Mini V (the original and updated versions), Monark, Moog's Model D app, IKMM's Syntronik Memory-V (which I know is more of a Memorymoog emulation) and even a Behringer Model D -- all for free. I'm not a Moog enthusiast, but I'm always interested in learning about the synth and its history.
I'm not fortunate enough to have a real one to compare it to, so I can only say which ones sound subjectively good to my ears. For me, The Legend and Model 72 are tied for first place (each has different strengths). Monark is a close second.

Setting aside accuracy and speaking only of what sounds good, which of the ones you have is your favorite?
Well, that's just it: They all sound pretty good to me, with the exception (more or less) of SampleMoog and the original Arturia Mini V, due to their ages and the fact that the SampleMoog is just some Moog samples, with no round-robin and very little chromatic sampling.

The "problem" here is that I'm not a Model D "purist". I'm not someone who'd suggest (or flat-out state) that if an emulation doesn't sound exactly like the original Moog Model D, then it doesn't sound "good". They all sound good to me, and I can get some great sounds out of all of them (other than the two mentioned above).

Would a Model D purist consider what I make with these to sound "good"? I don't think so. Do I care? No, I don't. ;)

But to answer your question, of all of these, the latest Arturia Mini V and the Behringer "Boog" D are my favorites. The Arturia for its ease of use in recalling the settings (since I'm still learning what I'm doing with a Model D), and the "Boog" for hands-on control and getting sounds I didn't think I'd want...since I'm still learning what I'm doing with a Model D. ;)

If you'd like to send me a MIDI file, I can record the Arturia Mini V3 (which is the latest) and the same settings on the Behringer "Boog" D. I haven't been into Monark for a while, but if it's easy enough to configure like a Model D, I can throw that in too, if it will help.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:47 pm
planetearth wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:01 am The Behringer is fun to play with, especially routing audio through it. But not being able to play more than one note at a time -- and having to pull up the photo on my phone to see the settings of a sound I used in a project -- is less convenient than I'm used to. But it's great for getting some cool sounds from it, even if you don't entirely know what you're doing!
Better than making a photo would be to load an emulation and set it to the same parameter values. Even if the sound isn’t exactly the same the idea is stored and you can replay it close enough without setting up everything again...
Would also be a strategy for Eurorack patches. You like your creation? Just redo it in VCV and you can save it...
True.

Steve

Arashi wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:30 am
tonedef71 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:16 am I just discovered today that the thumbs-down button no longer appears on our posts.
Yes. It's a great thing. The thumbs down button serves no useful purpose in a linear forum (as opposed to say, Reddit, where upvoting and downvoting actually moves comments up/down in the list), and in any case it mostly just gets abused by people being childish.
+1 to KVR mods. Good job boyz!!!
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Arashi wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:11 pm

+1
softube and synapse audio are miles ahead compasred to Arturia

Gregwaah wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:29 pm I've just paid €29 for an upgrade to the Jup-8 v4 and I don't own the single plugin. I have V Collection 6, all fx and Pigments. Could not afford to upgrade to the latest collection and was really only excited about the new Jupiter. Very impressed with the new sound engine. A solid release.
Just noticed the Jup v4 upgrade option on my account, a couple of us had suggested making it available to VC owners so a very pleasant surprise. Much appreciated Arturia! :tu:

Oh nice, didn't know that - just upgraded :D That's why it's worth supporting this company. Thanks :phones:

Hello everybody,

For the curious, the V collection in action:

https://antiphasis.bandcamp.com/track/d ... e-du-temps

We can hear: Emulator II V, Synclavier V, Modular V, Vocoder V and Jup-8 V4 (new version :)).

Thank you for your feedback.

MBeeching wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:38 am
Gregwaah wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:29 pm I've just paid €29 for an upgrade to the Jup-8 v4 and I don't own the single plugin. I have V Collection 6, all fx and Pigments. Could not afford to upgrade to the latest collection and was really only excited about the new Jupiter. Very impressed with the new sound engine. A solid release.
Just noticed the Jup v4 upgrade option on my account, a couple of us had suggested making it available to VC owners so a very pleasant surprise. Much appreciated Arturia! :tu:
indeed it is a new possibility i saw, today, half price even, for jup-8 V4. for me €14. so no brainer. although vintage i still like, but o well, i still use it. started with arturia collection + korg collection + cubase.. EDIT: and thanks, i did notice it my account, and i saw it in this thread afterwards..

but strange, how are the upgrade prices calculated???

i own v collection 7, OB-Xa, and now also jup-8 V4. the intro price for upgrade to v collection 8 was €199, if you didn't own OB-Xa, €149 if you did own OB-Xa.

the price for upgrade, no sale now, €299 from v collection 7. is this still a price that include the OB-Xa? and what about the jup-8 V4? o well, 14 euro.. that's nothing.

the upgrade policy is becoming more strange. it was already strange.. or not that clear, what is tight together.

EDIT: i can upgrade from OB-Xa, JUP-8 V4, well not that strange (€499...), and i can upgrade from v collection 6... ánd 7 (from six €399! from 7 well i mentioned it already €299)

when the time comes, i will contact sale, or perhaps someone of arturia can clarify this.
i contacted at one moment arturia about my account, because i had and 9 effects and FX bundle. of course i knew they are tight together (is that the right expression'?), but afterwards, the edited my account, and now it states 9 effects can not be sold seperately, which was already the case, but not mentioned.

strange. of course, there is logic, but the native instruments is more logical than arturia...

I have all instruments and the delays but am thinking of picking up the Intensity reverb which I think is based on the reverb in Pigments (which is lovely)

There is a sale on right now on individual instruments and effects. (50% off)

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:08 pm There is a sale on right now on individual instruments and effects. (50% off)

rsp
Analog lab V only 99,-

New users will get 2000 presets. Are those enough to justify 99,-?

I demo'ed it yesterday.. I am a preset guy, but you really can't tweak much on it so I quickly realise it was not for me.
I am trying to exercise self control and not purchase the juno 60 and jupiter 8 which I both quickly like a lot and instead wait for a collection sale.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”