Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

zvenx wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:02 pm In fairness to Richard, u-he has a forum here whilst Synapse Audio host their own forum themselves elsewhere...... that being said however,
when u-he was just Urs, it was still if not as, almost as responsive as it still is now, and a lot more customer feedback friendly.
rsp
have you ever asked him about a sampler option in Zebra :lol:

Teksonik wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:54 pm
zvenx wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:33 pm It is not just me who wants a better preset browser.
No as I said......
Teksonik wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:40 amI will say that judging just by the sheer number of requests that a new browser is probably the number one request.
However throwing a temper tantrum won't make changes happen any faster.
zvenx wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:33 pmIt is not a niche request. And it has been requested here for at least 9 years.
It's also not the only request. I've got requests as old as that and they haven't been implemented and may never be. I've been asking, no begging for .sfz import in DUNE 3 for years and we got single sample import instead. Sure I'm disappointed but I understand and am grateful for what we are given.

So here we see people asking for a new GUI for OBsession and a new Browser for DUNE 3. Which one should take precedence ?

If they make a new GUI first people who want the Browser will bitch and if....well you can take it from there.

Like I also said Mac people are clamoring for M1 versions so add that feature request to the list.

Everyone has their own favorite feature requests. Mine are no more important than yours and yours no more important than mine.

Like I said all we can do is make our requests in a respectful manner and hope for the best. Getting upset about it will accomplish nothing.

As you yourself have said the browser has been possibly the number 1 request, as I have said its been requested for at least nine years.

Obsession came out last year June.

Clearly it is a no brainer... Preset Browser first. (and I am one of them requesting both)
rsp
sound sculptist

AnX wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:55 pm

prob time to move on...
Surely even you see the irony of this coming from you of all people.
rsp
sound sculptist

not really no.....

regarding feature requests, sometimes I forget who I'm dealing with and ask for them, but soon get brought back down to earth with a bang

maybe a petition might help?

At some point I will, probably next year? An even ten years and admit the incompatibility.
I do like the audio quality of his synths and lord knows he works magic in getting the cpu so low for what it does.
But yeah at some point, keeping them on my hard drive and not using them except to play them occasionally to remind me how good they sound will not be enough and I will move on.
As I have said before I really like how the ones I have (Dune 1-3, Obsession and Legend) sound but the preset browser is a work flow killer for me and I don't use them in actual projects. And I have synths I do prefer the sounds of (with workflows that better suit me).

In a sense for me it is like Reaktor. Reaktor sounds great, has fantastic Ensembles, fantastic presets but the workflow is a killer for me so I rarely use Reaktor. Super 8 has given me hope however.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:19 pm Clearly it is a no brainer... Preset Browser first.
But then you've got a guy foaming at the mouth in this thread for a new GUI for OBsession so he may disagree with your priority.
zvenx wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:19 pmAs I have said before I really like how the ones I have (Dune 1-3, Obsession and Legend) sound but the preset browser is a work flow killer for me and I don't use them in actual projects.
I use DUNE 3 in every project and multiple instances so don't find the workflow a "killer" at all.

I've just learned how to properly organize my patches and I've made hundreds of them.

I also use Hive 2 in every project and again with multiple instances and I don't find its Browser all that useful. Most of the stuff like little colored dots for favorites are just bloat to me.

Whether I reach for one or the other in a project is down to the sound I'm looking for not the method I'll use to call up a patch.

But if DUNE 3 gets a browser then so be it. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

sorry, nipped out looking to see if there were any dogmen on the bongs.

there were not!

(the bongs is a real place, ok! i bloody live next to it! :x)

With u he browsers you can use what you want. I for instance only use one colour for all my favourites.

Any examples of someone foaming when their one year feature request got left behind for a much more popular long requested feature or you are just being devils advocate without data?
Rsp
sound sculptist

No one would have ever complained about the GUI if Rich didn't mention it was influenced by Rack Extensions. PA have a similar one page layout synths and no one complains. Even Monark and Super 8 are one page, no one complains.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

That's definitely not true.
Firstly the complain that I see most often and mine is that you have to turn it to the back to get some parameters. I am only aware of Monark (which settings is a lot more global) being like that. Neither Super 8 or PA stuff is like that (at least not Oberhausen).

If it was indeed one page with everything accessible from that one page, I suspect the complaints would be less.

Did you actually read any of the last few pages or you just jumped in the deep end without understanding the complaints?

Secondly as I recall, people were complaining about the GUI in Legend (compared to Dune for instance) and we were told that it had to be so because of RE's specifications.
rsp
sound sculptist

Just now trying out the demo, expecting it to be convincing and authentic to analogue, based on numerous overwhelmingly positive forum comments.

Seems to me to be the same as all the other vst's, including Repro, Diva, Monark, etc.:
Without additional processing, it has that same hazy 1.5-4 khz midrange that hisses at you when you crank the volume, same stiff, ear-fatuiging, metallic treble. Obsession seems to also have a weak low-end.

With additional plugins, I can make it sound convincing, so it might be a future purchase. Seems pretty limited and rather fiddly to get a sound I like, for this $100 price range.

Maybe you're right. But I'm not that sure you would pass a blind test between the hardware and the software.

Even if there was a difference, I don't think it would be relevant. Differences are so minuscule, it's still something I would gladly trade off for the convenience of having OB-Xa general sound and character ITB, plus many other features that make it even better to the hardware. And let's remember Obsession is an emulation of Synapse's particular unit of OB-Xa, not yours or any other.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A blind test is pointless and no one cares. Any comparison someone else offers is generated outside your own controlled environment where the composition phase happens. You want something that sounds good with as little hassle as possible and if it happens to match something else you liked, then yippee skip. My argument is that Obsession, along with every other VA vst I ever tried, doesn't sound good on its own.

Perhaps I should clarify this as pure subjectivity: The OBX-a I once owned never once gave me the temptation to so much as tweak the channel EQ. I played. I tweaked the synth controls for a bit sometimes, but then I was happy and inspired. I recorded some of it to tape.

To get a sound I found inspiring and pleasing with Obsession, I had to run it through Britson channel, The Drop with a lowpass filter at high cutoff and some resonance, True Iron's UTC D-12 with pre-boost on, and +4db of low-shelf EQ at 800 hz. Then it was lovely on a few presets. I can make a track template for that, so it's fine.
Other times it still has a screechy 'bump' that doesn't go away until something is changed, usually by adjusting filter envelope decay time or resonance slightly, but that then of course changes the patch. A new sound means backtracking to adjust. This is a distraction and deters creativity.

Can't decide if this is worth spending $100 on if I have to put $200 worth of plugins in front of it first. If this is as good as VA gets for now, then maybe. I spent $400 on my OBX-a in 1996. Guess if Obsession sounds half as good, then it's fair in the long run, considering the hardware goes for a million bajillion dollars now on the auction market.

Can you call up a preset or give some settings that show the hazy midrange or metallic treble? I'd like to zero in on what you're hearing so I can understand better. Same thing with the screechy bump you say you're hearing.

zwhita wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:08 pm Perhaps I should clarify this as pure subjectivity:
you already have
zwhita wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:08 pm.
To get a sound I found inspiring.....

zwhita wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:08 pm. The OBX-a I once owned never once gave me the temptation to so much as tweak the channel EQ.
same here when creating my own sounds in OBsession, never looked at the mixer once, or even considered adding any effects to make it sound "right/better"

are you making your own sounds or browsing presets?

using the template you mentioned seems very odd, can't imagine why you would want the same chain on every sound... especially when you consider it a "correction"

i suspect the 'problem' lies elsewhere

Return to “Instruments”