One Synth Challenge #144: Rand by Sampleson (schiing Wins! kylebenjamin grabs the single instance prize!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SeBaer wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:03 pm
reusenoise wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:00 pm Here a copules of kick drum,just a starting point.
Files are in .fxp program
For some reason, neither Reaper nor Cakewalk scan Rand...
It scans just fine here in REAPER ( 6.23 ). Have you tried: options > preferences > VST > rescan... > plugins that failed to scan > select offending plugin ? It might just scan on a second attempt.

Also, it is possible to manually edit "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\reaper-vstplugins64.ini". A valid entry will look like : Rand_x64.dll=82B612B143F9D601,1382116964,Rand (Sampleson)!!!VSTi.
If it's been rejected like: Rand_x64.dll=82B612B143F9D601.
To force REAPER to accept a ( working ) plugin, just add a 10-digit number that's not already in use and the name/dev/type tag as above

The newest version has various re-scan options now ... press the re-scan and choose.

dB

SeBaer wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:04 pm
jemaudio wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:01 pm Voted! So many great tracks. Enjoyed listening to the large variety of music styles.
Wow, so you're a time traveller? Most of us haven't even submitted...
Oops, wrong thread! :hihi:

ELEX wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:11 pm Also, it is possible to manually edit "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\reaper-vstplugins64.ini". A valid entry will look like : Rand_x64.dll=82B612B143F9D601,1382116964,Rand (Sampleson)!!!VSTi.
If it's been rejected like: Rand_x64.dll=82B612B143F9D601.
To force REAPER to accept a ( working ) plugin, just add a 10-digit number that's not already in use and the name/dev/type tag as above
I have to try that, since Spitfire Labs also stopped working for me in Reaper. Maybe this helps...
As for Rand, I'm not that optimistic, since Cakewalk also doesn't find it, but in turn has no problems with Labs...

Strange thing, several REAPER users have reported on Rand but none had this issue. There was a bug fixed very recently ( in REAPER 6.21 ), that was related to this, so having 6.21 or later may be relevant.

After updating to the most recent Reaper version, the Spitfire Stuff, which has given me a headache for some time, scans fine.
Rand, on the other hand, does still not show up. Neither does turn up with the plugins failed to scan, nor in the reaper-vstplugins64.ini .
It's just as if is wasn't in the drive at all... Wait, that makes me think I should try to re-download Rand. Maybe the file's corrupted... I'll try that, and report back.

Edit:
Oh my god, I feel so bloody stupid. I copied the wrong file to my VST folder. The file I put there was the frickin' stand-alone .exe... :dog:
After having copied the .dll, it scans just fine and also seems to crackle less than Push 1.0.1

+ My Submission +

I've updating the track with a more fitting and exciting ending.

The title Capricho, meaning "a whim" in Spanish, embraces the random nature of Rand synth as well as the unpredictability of the composition.

Made with mostly Randomized then edited patches and with more substantial editing on the main bass and percussion set.

https://soundcloud.com/chavapoulos/capricho

Daw: Ableton 10

Rand Synth: x 31

Stock effects:
Utility x 17
EQ8 x 15
OTT x 2
Gate x 1
Compressor x 2
Limiter x 3
Reverb x 2
Convolution Reverb x 7
Saturator x 1
Echo x 2
Autopan x 1

Third Party Plugins:
Youlean Loudness Meter Free
Last edited by MalToné on Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

@SeBaer :dog: :dog: :hyper: :lol: ... and to those laughing ... who hasn't messed up with VSTi installs at least once before? :D :hihi:

dB

OK folks, here's my entry for February OSC 144

https://soundcloud.com/user-492255322/s ... OOmNEu5RMZ

DAW: Bitwig
I have used: 18 Rands
12 Bitwig Eq+
2 Bitwig Tool
2 Bitwig Delay 2
3 Bitwig Distortion
1 Bitwig Filter
1 Kilohearts Delay
4 Valhalla Supermassive
4 TDR Kotelnikov
2 Orilriver

and Kotelnikov & Thomas Mundt Loudmax on the master channel.

Oh joy...another bug. Changing buffer size on audio interface severely changes the effect of the 'detune' knob.

doctorbob wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:55 pm @SeBaer :dog: :dog: :hyper: :lol: ... and to those laughing ... who hasn't messed up with VSTi installs at least once before? :D :hihi:

dB
All the time, and for Rand too :dog:
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

ELEX wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:33 am Oh joy...another bug. Changing buffer size on audio interface severely changes the effect of the 'detune' knob.
it could be it's changing the sample rate on one voice but not the rest. Maybe reloading the plugin fixes it?

Thanks...but no,it's really weird: changing the sample rate has no effect on this. It's only changing buffer size. Reloaded project...restarted REAPER...no joy. I was using the 'detune' to get a pitch envelope, and got a snappy start at a low buffer sizes, but a slower one at large. Makes some of my percussion and FX sound distinctly 'off'. Wouldn't be a problem, if not for some high latency plugins which tend to cause crackling at lower buffer sizes ( well, on my system, anyway. ). How to get one's DAW to work with unwilling plugins...it's a challenge within a challenge ;) It's workaround time again...

Hello!

Unfortunately I missed the hardware synth month, but decided to make something for this month. Despite some annoying bugs this is not the worst synth in my experience. At least it is quite easy to get the sounds you want or even find the sounds you want :D

https://soundcloud.com/medniex/osc-144-rev02

Any feedback is welcome. I hope I'll find the time this month to make some adjustments before deadline.

(EDIT)

I'm wrapping this up as a final submission since few of the presets in my project changed how they sound. I'm not changing the link, but giving it a tittle and all the proper details to call it done.

DAW: Ableton Live
27 x Rand
Stock fx: Utility, EQ Eight, Arpeggiator (MIDI), limiter, Auto Pan, Glue compression with sidechain EQ, Delay, Reverb, Dynamic II (MIDI).
3rd party fx: TAL reverb, Limiter6
Last edited by Medniex on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

So I thought I would have another attempt, redid the drums a bit
https://soundcloud.com/eauson/eauson-rand-kvr-osc

Still random :)
Details

14*Rand
Reaper 5

Tal reverb II, acceleration,Air
MV, Varimu, blockfish, Fircomp, matrix verb, Srsly, Tremolo, ReaEq, density2, Ariesverb, ccstepper, Drive, pyewacket, Distance, pressure 4, capacitor2, reverb, dmg track, preponderant, Youlean, tb meters
Last edited by Eauson on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Return to “Instruments”