KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the first time I have clicked on this thread so I knew nothing about "Knifonium".

So I went to their website and found out this thing cost $358 in the UK.

$358 !

For a software emulation that brings a computer to its knees !

$358 !

Have I read that correctly ?

Did I click on the wrong thing ?

You must be new to Plugin Alliance. :D

dellboy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:47 pm This is the first time I have clicked on this thread so I knew nothing about "Knifonium".

So I went to their website and found out this thing cost $358 in the UK.

$358 !

For a software emulation that brings a computer to its knees !

$358 !

Have I read that correctly ?

Did I click on the wrong thing ?
Everything is fine as long as you have not purchased it for that price.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:30 pm

Ah, right, is it one of those firms that knock 90% off in sales on Plugin Boutique ?

dellboy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:35 pm

Ah, right, is it one of those firms that knock 90% off in sales on Plugin Boutique ?
Yes, but it's not Plugin Boutique. You only get these plugins through Plugin Alliance website. It was on sale for $39.99 a couple of days ago. I would suggest waiting for March end, as they will have good discounts in the Q1 Mega Sale of the year.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:46 pm

Yes, but it's not Plugin Boutique. You only get these plugins through Plugin Alliance website. It was on sale for $39.99 a couple of days ago. I would suggest waiting for March end, as they will have good discounts in the Q1 Mega Sale of the year.
Yes, and put the money you've saved towards upgrading your processor so that you can hear it in all its glory. :wink:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:46 pm

If Knifonium is sold for $29.99 then, I'll consider it again. Shame my trial period ran out though, I hardly remember it... :)

The B00 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:21 amI guess the guys @ AirMT are just better at coding resource efficiency.
I think the difference is that Vac Pro was made a few years ago, when processing power wasn't what it is today.
chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:28 amOberhausen also takes a lot of CPU (probably the most CPU hungry I own). Actually, a bit too much for what it does.
It cam certainly get up there with lots of voices and unison but for single voice patches it normally isn't too bad on my system.
Personally, I rather have a bit more CPU footprint than developers which compromise their synths too much (as long as it doesn't completely crush your CPU, of course). I won't name name names, but, there are synths where you can see quite a cut before 20 kHz, making the synths not sounding as pristine/crystal clear as others.
Who can hear 20kHz? I'd reckon it's probably about on person in 20 aged over 30. I don't give a shit about anything much over 5kHz, it's such a tiny, tiny fraction of what's going on it really doesn't make any difference to anything and it probably doesn't even survive conversion to mp3.
wagtunes wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:42 amAs far as CPU hit goes, everybody has their priorities. For me, it doesn't matter. I record the part, add the FX chain, and then, when I decide that everything is good, I freeze the whole thing, synth, FX and all. CPU no longer becomes a problem. As long as I can load one instance of the synth without it bringing my CPU to its knees, I'm fine.
CPU isn't an issue for me because I can't imagine a mix where it would become one. Someone mentioned 10 instances of Vacuum Pro, I don't think I have ever finished a song that had 10 instrument channels in it. I can't even think how that would work, how you would hear any of it in a mix. I need drums, a bassline or two, a pad, a lead and maybe something else to provide a bit of interest/variety and that's it, maximum. If I'm using guitars I might double them but I'd never double a synth part.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Depending on the genre and the song, parts can add up very quickly.

For example, listen to my CD "Jerry & Company" which is a Broadway style musical.

Tracks:

1. 1st Violins
2. 2nd Violins
3. Violas
4. Cellos
5. Bass Cellos
6. Flutes
7. Clarinets
8. Oboes
9. English Horns
10. Bassoons
11. Trumpets
12. Trombones
13. French Horns
14. Timpani
15. Cymbals
16. Piano
17. Vocal 1
18. Vocal 2
19. Vocal 3
20. Vocal 4
21. Vocal 5
22. Vocal 6
23. Vocal 7

That was for the finale of the musical.

I'm glad that the kind of music you do is minimal enough, as far as instrumental arrangement, that you don't need more than maybe 8 or 9 instances. Some of us aren't quite that fortunate if we want to put on the music convincing performance that we can. For me, being able to freeze tracks is not only beneficial but in many instances, critical.

My tracks are similar in that there can be many instances of virtual instruments. For example this track uses 17: Nithonat, StiX, Tremor, Axon, Strike, BioTek, Zebra2, U-No-LX, Timewarp x2, UVI, Bazille, Repro-1, Wiggle, Dust x2 and Phonem.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/st ... on-epsilon

WindowImage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah, if my bandmate gave me a piece like that I'd probably remove half the parts and he'd thank me for it. On my headphones at work it's kind of soupy - lots of bits bobbing about, trying to get noticed.
To give the opposite perspective, I did this with Thorn, two instances of DUNE, Aparillo, Battery and vocals. When my bandmate gave it to me there were several more tracks but I either got rid of them or combined them with other parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrQ_ONV2km8
wagtunes wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:28 am Depending on the genre and the song, parts can add up very quickly.
For example, listen to my CD "Jerry & Company" which is a Broadway style musical...
... I'm glad that the kind of music you do is minimal enough, as far as instrumental arrangement, that you don't need more than maybe 8 or 9 instances. Some of us aren't quite that fortunate if we want to put on the music convincing performance that we can. For me, being able to freeze tracks is not only beneficial but in many instances, critical.
We are talking about synths here, sample libraries aren't going to chew through your CPU. And instruments like Novo and Vento allow you to design arrangements for a whole section of the orchestra, strings and brass respectively, in a single instrument. I was conscious of these facts when I made my comment.
Last edited by BONES on Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:30 am I don't assess things that way, I assess them by their ability to make sounds I can use in my music. I wouldn't even know what "feedback and other tube noise" sounds like, much less which synth does it better.
I have Metasonix Wretch machine right here. I've also spent more of my time playing guitar through 1960's tube amplifiers than you or most people here I would guess. Both of these synths claim a tube sound. Knif is simply closer to that sound.

Mostly what I was saying is sonically rich sounds take up a lot of space in a mix, it's not surprising. consequentially there's absolutely no reason to only want CPU hungry "complex" sounds only.

Another way to put it is a synth is not necessarily better because it's vastly complex and great at huge pads, almost any synth can be great at huge pads with a couple of FX added.

Hi plexuss,
OT now: Are you a paraglider?
Greets :)
The average bored guy

nvm
Last edited by wagtunes on Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have some problems with FLStudio with this. Sound mutes quite often when switching presets. When checking from FL it informs that plugin disabled because of an error. Tried plugin wrapper and fixed buffers but still same. I will try fresh install tonight but in a meanwhile, have I missed something?

Return to “Instruments”