One Synth Challenge #144: Rand by Sampleson (schiing Wins! kylebenjamin grabs the single instance prize!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello. OSC is a good place to learn new things, in addition to having fun, that's why I wanted to share a link to a video on YouTube about compression in drums - and in general really - that has helped me to clarify some things and I think it may be of useful to some participants in this OSC community. I leave it in OSC- general discussion thread:

viewtopic.php?p=8034134#p8034134

Medniex wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:51 pm Despite some annoying bugs this is not the worst synth in my experience. At least it is quite easy to get the sounds you want or even find the sounds you want :D

https://soundcloud.com/medniex/osc-144-rev02
Would you mind sharing some pointers on how to get that kick? I've gotten nowhere near a kick like that.

I've got a couple here that might help:
Kicks.hpa.zip
The sweet spot is in Detune between about 0.1 and 1.1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Rand entry is:
https://soundcloud.com/liqih/undone-refrain

23 Rand synth.
Made in Ableton Live + Ableton EQ Reverb Delay Compressor.
Max 1 as non Ableton plugin.

[uploaded again with a better FLAC, perhaps] I'm afraid that the mix could sound too bright to a younger ear than mine, please let me know.

liqih wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:25 pm My Rand entry is:

[uploaded again with a better FLAC, perhaps] I'm afraid that the mix could sound too bright to a younger ear than mine, please let me know.
It doesn't sound to bright to my ears, don't know if that helps since they're near 60 years old. I think its fine and a lovely track too.
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

MalToné, that helps. Thanks!

MalToné wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:00 pm
liqih wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:25 pm My Rand entry is:

It doesn't sound to bright to my ears, don't know if that helps since they're near 60 years old. I think its fine and a lovely track too.
Yeah, I'll second that - no brightness problems from where I'm sitting (not particularly young ears here either, though).
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

I can say "job done" then. Thanks!

Double Tap wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:39 pm I've got a couple here that might help:

Kicks.hpa.zip

What filetype is .hpa, and how can I open it? It seems some kind of binary. The Rand proprietary .preset on the other hand is xml, which is editable in a text editor.

Edit:
Okay, I found out, it's a collection of presets from Rand, which you can import via the 'more'-button in the 'open/save' menu...
Last edited by SeBaer on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liqih wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:25 pm I'm afraid that the mix could sound too bright to a younger ear than mine, please let me know.
Weeeelll, actually, the down sweeping effect sound is rather piercing... That might be intentional, but it's on the brink of beeing unpleasant.

SeBaer wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:42 pm
Double Tap wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:39 pm I've got a couple here that might help:

Kicks.hpa.zip

What filetype is .hpa, and how can I open it? It seems some kind of binary. The Rand proprietary .preset on the other hand is xml, which is editable in a text editor.

Edit:
Okay, I found out, it's a collection of presets from Rand, which you can import via the 'more'-button in the 'open/save' menu...
Yeah it was just how it allowed me to export them. Glad you got it sorted.

SeBaer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:38 pm Would you mind sharing some pointers on how to get that kick? I've gotten nowhere near a kick like that.
In case you are struggling, one way is to scroll through the thread and look if anyone has shared any patches :D I have done it many times and I did it this time as well.

Check this out:
viewtopic.php?p=8023689#p8023689

Rand is not that difficult for making a kick, but I'm glad I was that lazy initially because reusenoise approach is to layer a kick from 3 parts. And it was first time for me to try out such technique. This is how you learn from others :D

Most of the time you want to modulate pitch, filter, amplification with a fast attacking envelope. But as mentioned earlier in this thread by others, only one type of filter works, so you pick that Biquad option. And of course EQ-ing and compression afterwards helps a lot.
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

SeBaer wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:44 pm
liqih wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:25 pm I'm afraid that the mix could sound too bright to a younger ear than mine, please let me know.
Weeeelll, actually, the down sweeping effect sound is rather piercing... That might be intentional, but it's on the brink of beeing unpleasant.
Yes, I see. That sound goes high and loud. Thanks!

SOooo...I thought about having another play with Rand, happily start goofing around only to realize that I start battling the tuning like with ancient analogue gear that travels across climate-zones and can't be wrestled into proper pitch, haha. SOOooo strange, really. The first go I had at it was totally innocent and just sort of worked out, probably because I was assuming it wouldn't. Now that I was sure it would be no problem, it misbehaved relentlessly, hahaha. :hihi: :shrug: ...I did, however, get much tighter drums for some reason, but that was about all I managed to get right.
Really a curious thing this.

Yeah MrT, I remember Tangerine Dreams's Moog equipment having to be set up and left running for a day or so before the concert in York Cathedral (Minster). Roadies hurrying around replacing those modules which went badly out of tune! In the end it all worked with NO external reverb units used, the natural reverb in the cathedral being 16 seconds! Fab concert, part of the "Richochet 3 cathedral Tour".

dB

Return to “Instruments”