Checking Out : 1178 by Pulsar Audio [New Plugin]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pulsar 1178

ThomC wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:38 pm Hey guys!

Just got a reply back from Pulsar Audio. Just like you figured out, they don't have anything to do with Pulsar Modular :).

I hope you guys got your email if you're already a Pulsar Audio user.
ericbridenbaker wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:17 pm An incredible piece. Pulsar makes top shelf gear. I went to do a ten minute review and it ended up taking 45 minutes.
https://youtu.be/2CtyBKiXUjI
Agreed! I've managed to do a review that doesn't last that long, but it wasn't easy to be honest haha. I've edited out all the speech and just kept the sounds. I usually do pretty long 25 to 35min reviews, so this was kind of a challenge for me.

I see you also slammed the compressor in your review Eric haha! It's funny how this thing is easy to be pushed. I was pretty heavy-handed in my review, but it was just too much fun, so I kept going :D
Haha, indeed! Too much fun. this compressor sounds really great with lots of gain reduction going on. As it should be! :)

Unaspected wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:07 am
J4R1O wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:13 am
zvenx wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:40 pm Demo'ed it last night bought it today.
If you are a subscriber and own any of their previous plugins, they will send you an email via coupon to get it for $59..
rsp
Still waiting for that coupon... :?
No coupon here yet. Not sure if I'm subscribed to their mailing list, though I own Mu. Maybe because I purchased through Plugin Boutique. Not too fussed, though Mu is very impressive so I have quite high expectations of the 1178.
I purchased Echorec via Pulsar Audio webshop but still didn't receive that coupon, until yesterday after writing to support.
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

ericbridenbaker wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:17 pm An incredible piece. Pulsar makes top shelf gear. I went to do a ten minute review and it ended up taking 45 minutes.
Oh man, why does it sound so good, the saturation section has awesome fattening possibilities, or even destroying - and with parallel knob & lookahead/behind (love to look behind for fattening transient for some stuff) - top stuff.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:48 pm
Oh man, why does it sound so good, the saturation section has awesome fattening possibilities, or even destroying - and with parallel knob & lookahead/behind (love to look behind for fattening transient for some stuff) - top stuff.
Definitely, the saturation section in this is really good. The Triode mode really does something interesting to the transients in 'All Buttons In' mode on bass. They all have their particularities. The look ahead is great to round of the edges or further shape the attack time. Love it!

i like triode on vocals. :)

Ploki wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:22 pm i like triode on vocals. :)
Will try it out more :) I need to experiment a bit more with it overall. But I was really impressed by its sound on vocals overall. The Warm setting makes it sound more like an 1176 from what I've heard so far.

J4R1O wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:39 pm
Unaspected wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:07 am
J4R1O wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:13 am
zvenx wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:40 pm Demo'ed it last night bought it today.
If you are a subscriber and own any of their previous plugins, they will send you an email via coupon to get it for $59..
rsp
Still waiting for that coupon... :?
No coupon here yet. Not sure if I'm subscribed to their mailing list, though I own Mu. Maybe because I purchased through Plugin Boutique. Not too fussed, though Mu is very impressive so I have quite high expectations of the 1178.
I purchased Echorec via Pulsar Audio webshop but still didn't receive that coupon, until yesterday after writing to support.
The coupon did arrive for me eventually - didn't have to write to support. Yet to demo. I fear that if I do then I'll buy it. :scared:

$89.00 (€73.34) @ DontCrack - for those with no previous products to qualify for a coupon.
https://store.dontcrack.com/product_inf ... ts_id=3987
The saturation is the so nice, a great feature.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I wrote to support and got the coupon. I already own all their stuff already. I did some comparing against some other FET type plugins I have as well against some favorites on parallel drum buss. I'm liking this a lot. I also tried it on a vocal track, just to check out how it sounds. It bought the vocal up front in a very good way. It did the same on an acoustic piano sub group as well. I'm not sure about the CPU hit, but I can see using this often. Triode mode adds a nice touch of saturation that is useful on bass. This is well worth the money.

The Noodlist wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:35 pm $89.00 (€73.34) @ DontCrack - for those with no previous products to qualify for a coupon.
https://store.dontcrack.com/product_inf ... ts_id=3987
The saturation is the so nice, a great feature.
Agreed about the saturation! :) If you guys order at DontCrack, don't forget to add Garbage for free by Nomad Factory with coupon : garbage022021

trmupstage wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:40 pm I wrote to support and got the coupon. I already own all their stuff already. I did some comparing against some other FET type plugins I have as well against some favorites on parallel drum buss. I'm liking this a lot. I also tried it on a vocal track, just to check out how it sounds. It bought the vocal up front in a very good way. It did the same on an acoustic piano sub group as well. I'm not sure about the CPU hit, but I can see using this often. Triode mode adds a nice touch of saturation that is useful on bass. This is well worth the money.
Glad I'm not the only one loving Triode on bass haha! :D I've not tried it out yet on piano, need to do that. I don't use presets very often with plugins, but the crushed snare preset works really well (especially in parallel when decreasing some of the wet signal with the mix knob).

well i ended up buying it :)

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:47 pm well i ended up buying it :)
i'm definitely close to the edge also
any regrets? :D

zvenx wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:06 pm Tbh I didn't compare it, I just used it last night on a whole heap of projects on the master buss and loved what it did on each of them..
I do love their Mu too, but MagicDeathEye replaced most of what I use to use the Mu for.
rsp
it's funny, i did the opposite.
Mu doesn't quite have the special sauce of MDE, especially on bass...
but i can use 3 of them for the same CPU hit.
Mu's great, i haven't even demoed 1178, cos i'm pretty sure what's gonna happen.

sqigls wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:24 am
Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:47 pm well i ended up buying it :)
i'm definitely close to the edge also
any regrets? :D
no :D
I love it on vocals. For some reason, both Mu and 1178 for me sound better on vocals than equivalent VariMus and FETs from other vendors.
I have Kush AR-1 and Voxengo Marquis (not a VariMu but a "tube" comp kindof) and like them both (actually love them both - just not on vocals), also tested MJUC, however Mu on vocals somehow clamps like no other can.

1178 has become my fav FET dethroning Softube FET Comp. I also can't get any other FET type plugin compressor to behave this way on Vocals :)

Mu is very chewy.
I love what it does to snare drums.

just pulled the pin on this one also.
5 minutes after demoing

i love plugins that give me a few db of headroom at the same perceivable volume...
without slopping transients etc.

1178 will now live on my master bus.

Return to “Effects”