11.5 is up

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TTC1 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:03 pm
don_ortalion wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:33 pm I think it will install into a new folder.
I have two wersions right now on windows.
I finally did the upgrade and it did install in the same folder.
So all is well.
Though the way it is named, it is not obvious that it will update an existing install, in Download Manager.
Maybe my update was different because i didnt instal 11.1 into default folder.

pogile wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:22 am I know what can make this DAW more popular :)

First - add 2 plugins:
— 1. Drummica (Sennheiser) - for drums
— 2. Kyezone Classic - for piano
They all free VST plugins.

Second - mаке samething like Drummer in Garageband / Logic Pro.

... and add some Amps and Cubs for guitar... and some simple ready to use processor for voice.

And it's become ultimate DAW for songwriters! :)
Obviously it would be a good idea, but to my knowledge there are licensencing issues in regards to VST plugins which make including them in another application impossible.
Maybe for example tho there could be more open source drumkit libraries included with the micro drum sampler

Kang wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:32 pm Solo action within submixes is very odd also. It's very difficult to audition between stuff. If you solo a track in a submix, the submix itself doesn't solo, so when you go to solo it, I think everything else gets played too so then you have to mute the those. It's a bit of a mess.
I just realized that this is also related to SubMix tracks being sent to another track. Normal submixes going to default output work fine when soloing tracks within it, but when sent to a bus track things get weird, especially if other tracks are being sent there also. I believe it's a bug.

mikoatkvr wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:18 am
pogile wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:22 am I know what can make this DAW more popular :)

First - add 2 plugins:

Second - mаке samething like Drummer in Garageband / Logic Pro.

... and add some Amps and Cubs for guitar... and some simple ready to use processor for voice.

And it's become ultimate DAW for songwriters! :)
Obviously it would be a good idea, but to my knowledge there are licensencing issues in regards to VST plugins which make including them in another application impossible.
Maybe for example tho there could be more open source drumkit libraries included with the micro drum sampler
I think DrumMic'a is amazing free drums, but according to info on their site:
Attention users: The DrumMic’a! Project is closing down as of February 15th, 2021. We will provide additional details where the Drum Samples will still be available for download after the 15th here. Thank you for being a user.
I don't think that Micro Drum Sampler is so versatile for acoustic drums.
What about Keyzone Classic - yeah, you right, there will be problem with licensing.

But in two words - piano, drums with drummer, guitar and voice processing. And this DAW will shine for songwriters! :)

First - add 2 plugins:
1. Drummica is not a VST plugin. Its a sample set for the full, commercial, definitely-not-free version of Native Instruments Kontakt.
2. These products are only 'free' in the sense of zero cost to an end-user. They are not free (in the sense of 'unrestricted') for software companies to redistribute with their own products.
3. Drum and piano samples dont make DAWs more popular.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:28 am 3. Drum and piano samples dont make DAWs more popular.
I think the average composer is not good at synths, and being able to use pianos and acoustic drums right out of the box is a big plus for a DAW. And Drummer is a huge help in bringing ideas to life. Same for guitar and voice processing.

pogile wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:03 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:28 am 3. Drum and piano samples dont make DAWs more popular.
I think the average composer is not good at synths, and being able to use pianos and acoustic drums right out of the box is a big plus for a DAW. And Drummer is a huge help in bringing ideas to life. Same for guitar and voice processing.
Yeah, that's my point. You focussed specifically on pianos and drums, but there are a good few other instruments that would be just as useful, including guitar, bass, electric piano, basic strings etc. Having as narrow a focus as you suggested wouldn't be that useful at all, it doesnt cover enough bases.

Random third-party plugins and Kontakt libraries arent the sensible solution, though; licensing content for Collective would be the saner option there.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:14 pm Yeah, that's my point. You focussed specifically on pianos and drums, but there are a good few other instruments that would be just as useful, including guitar, bass, electric piano, basic strings etc. Having as narrow a focus as you suggested wouldn't be that useful at all, it doesnt cover enough bases.
I'm speaking about beginner songwriters, who has guitar, mic and PC. If DAW give them simple tools for creating songs - this will be great. And when it just out of box, it's a huge time saver. Many of them may be will stick with it for long time. But easy starting kit is a big argument for DAW.

pogile wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:44 pm I'm speaking about beginner songwriters, who has guitar, mic and PC. If DAW give them simple tools for creating songs - this will be great. And when it just out of box, it's a huge time saver. Many of them may be will stick with it for long time. But easy starting kit is a big argument for DAW.
So you're saying the way to increase Waveform's popularity is to focus on one specific subset of potential users, ie beginning songwriters who play guitar and sing. That definitely makes sense.

It would be nice to see your market research that supports this. Im assuming you actually do have that, of course, rather than you being a beginner songwriter, who has a guitar, mic and PC and is prone to projection.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:55 pm It would be nice to see your market research that supports this. Im assuming you actually do have that, of course, rather than you being a beginner songwriter, who has a guitar, mic and PC and is prone to projection.
Yeah... I'm that guy ... but if we're all will keep silence - who will tell developers what users want? I'm just one of those users. And You can tell what you think will make this DAW better.

pogile wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 pm if we're all will keep silence - who will tell developers what users want?
if we all pretend we can speak for all 'beginner composers' or whatever then developers wont know what real users want, they'll just get the suppositions and assumptions of a bunch of randos.

on the other hand, if we make sure we make it sure we're only speaking for ourselves, then they have actual information.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have rudimentary sketching tools that cover most use cases. Songwriter is definitely a userbase Waveform aims to cover (see the stock templates). It only has to be the barest presets for facilitating sketching.

You could have a basic 909 kit for dance music, 808 for hip hop, acoustic rock kit, decent piano, bass guitar, etc. While I don't think it's essential, almost every DAW I've used has something similar. They could be Multisampler and Drum Sampler presets thay load in the stock templates. Existing creators of free sample libraries might be willing to license to Waveform. That could be a low-time-cost way to retain very new users who might not be as willing to find and install free VSTs.

spoontechnique wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:27 pm I don't think it's a bad idea to have rudimentary sketching tools that cover most use cases. Songwriter is definitely a userbase Waveform aims to cover (see the stock templates). It only has to be the barest presets for facilitating sketching.
They could be Multisampler and Drum Sampler presets thay load in the stock templates.
I agree, but Collective already comes with a 2Gb sound library, and there's a 500Mb piano library in there.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:59 pm
pogile wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 pm if we're all will keep silence - who will tell developers what users want?
if we all pretend we can speak for all 'beginner composers' or whatever then developers wont know what real users want, they'll just get the suppositions and assumptions of a bunch of randos.

on the other hand, if we make sure we make it sure we're only speaking for ourselves, then they have actual information.
I knew that you would catch this line...

You just want to argue with other people's opinions. So, whatever I say, you will argue.

pogile wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:12 pm You just want to argue with other people's opinions.
That's disingenuous bollocks and you know it. From the start, I was arguing with you pretending that what was merely your opinion was somehow insight into a whole swathe of other people's needs.

As for your 'opinion' itself, it was ignorant of multiple facts, including you suggesting something was a free plugin, when in fact it which needs a £200 plugin to be useable, to the reality of 'free' distribution, to ignoring the inclusion of a 500Mb piano library and more than 100Mb of mixed drum and percussion libraries with Collective, which comes with any of the paid versions of Waveform. But you have at it with gusto, anyway, champ.

Return to “Tracktion”