Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:07 pm WTH, middle C is either C3 (Germany), or C4 (most of the world) or C5 (older Roland but more recently they use C4 IIRC, FL Studio). Never heard middle C being referred to as C6!
I knew I shouldn't have used "middle C". I meant the C physically centered on the keyboard when it's transposed up 3 octaves.
Stormchild

Ah! Then yeah it's German middle C + 3. :)

(But I think Roland uses C4 for middle C nowadays).

Probably will buy later today great synth - finally clicked with it after moving away from the presets

I've just updated though and has random button in SC section been removed or have I accidentally rolled back a version ?

v1.3.4 has the random button in SC section.

That's odd thanks for confirming - I just have either reverted a version or somehow have 2 versions installed - I'll check tonight

Thanks again

Just checked and in Reaper showing no random button and no way to see version number and Cubase 10 showing the correct latest version with the random dial and button so somehow reaper must be pointing to an older version and I have two versions installed

Thanks

Buckster wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:14 pm Just checked and in Reaper showing no random button and no way to see version number and Cubase 10 showing the correct latest version with the random dial and button so somehow reaper must be pointing to an older version and I have two versions installed

Thanks
Add the J-8 to a track in Reaper and open Reaper's Project Bay. It will tell you the exact folder location for any plugins in your project. I had a similar issue with a different plugin recently, and that's how I was able to hunt down the location of the stray plugin.

1.3.4 is up already?
(it is, but that doesn't' have the new arp yet)
damn
rsp
sound sculptist

I would like 1.3.5 to come with a Fatar keyboard and metal enclosure.

Tell Patrick.

Bandaide wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:12 pm I would like 1.3.5 to come with a Fatar keyboard and metal enclosure.

Tell Patrick.
:D

zvenx wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:29 pm 1.3.4 is up already?
(it is, but that doesn't' have the new arp yet)
damn
rsp
I don't see reference to 1.3.4 on the site. Then again, I downloaded 4.4.1 of U-No-LX the other day only to actually get 4.4.2, so I guess maybe if they're very small fixes, maybe there's no changelog/mention on the site?

ahh.. yes I didn't know there was a 1.3.4 till I downloaded.

Just like how I am now finding out there is a 4.4.2 from you :)
rsp
sound sculptist

I'm having a weird issue in Reaper where certain presets are making clicking/glitching noises on note-on when I'm playing say all 8 notes of an 8 note polyphonic patch however if I record what I'm playing as a midi sequence and turn off Reaper's record-arm for the track then play it back the issue isn't present!

For example, I add J-8 to an empty project and record-arm the track. Select the "Poly Brasso" patch from the Solidtrax/Lead bank. Play an 8 note chord/stab, then repeat, this causes short clicking/glitching noise on every retrigger. If I only play 4 note chords the issue doesn't occur. If I record the 8 note chord part and disable record-arm in Reaper the issue also goes away.

It's frustrating as I like playing live (for my own amusement), and love large chords.. Can any other Reaper user confirm this?!

Reaper x64 v6.23 in Windows 7 64-bit, J-8 version 1.34 VST2 (the VST3 version also does this)..

Cheers!
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

Arashi wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:05 am
ToguAudioLine wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:12 am Thanks for the arp hint. We totally missed that. Thought it's the same like the Juno 60 has.
I did a couple experiments today to try to pin down exactly how the arp works. It's pretty intricate when you look into the details. Turns out the UP, DOWN, and UP+DOWN mode also applies to the note order, and this (combined with the fact that all of these modes respond to the order you played the notes) is what makes the JP-8 arp so interesting.

For example, if you play the following notes in this order: C3, G3, D3, E3…

In UP mode, 1 octave, the sequence you played will simply repeat.

In DOWN mode, 1 octave, that sequence will play in reverse order: E3, D3, G3, C3.

In UP+DOWN mode, 1 octave, the sequence plays forward, then backwards (first and last notes are bold): C3, G3, D3, E3, D3, G3 (repeat). It does not repeat the first or last note.

When you switch to 2 or more octaves, it follows the same behavior as above while cycling through octaves in the selected direction. It does not repeat the first or last note in the overall sequence.

If it helps, I can record the MIDI output for each of these scenarios and provide MIDI files so you have a visual (piano roll) reference.
This one took it's time. I will make some more tests and compare it the to hardware. Hope i can update in the next days.
It looks like arpeggiator sorting wasn't an option back then. It's always "as played" with octave UP. DOWN just reverses the notes somehow.
TAL Software GmbH
https://tal-software.com/

Yeah. Looks like there's a note input buffer, but no sorting in that buffer, just reading it in reverse in case of DOWN or UP&DOWN.

Return to “Instruments”