Ableton Live 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:51 pm
c_voltage wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 pm
Kinh wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:42 am Not all m4l devices are showing in 'audio effects', only a few of em. Is anyone else getting this?
Yes the same here. For example Envelope disappeared. Will check next what else.

UPD envelope found, now its as MIDI Envelope
That's because it's triggered by MIDI, hence it's in MIDI effects.
Yes right. And i found all other core m4l devices already too, huh thats ok, there been some worry.
But honestly to say i do not think that it was very right decision, to mix m4l devices together with all rest.
Then was need to remove MaxForLive section in browser tree too, no ?

UPD
And else, envelopes representation removed from Collision, there is only knobs itself.

SLiC wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:19 pm
machinesworking wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:02 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:33 am 11 is probably the most stable new version of Live I have come across (since 4), it was a long beta, I never had an issue. I’m not sure tempo match is broken, just very limited, it can follow a simple drum, not so good on anything else!
I can't get it to follow anything. IMO you really can't call something stable if it's new features are broken. :shrug:

I'm OK waiting until the next 25% off sale in late 2021. Like I said, the main thing that keeps me from Live is the mouse based workflow. Ableton's lack of universal keyboard shortcuts compared to it's competition makes learning it easy, and using it after 15+ like I have, annoying.
I didn't upgrade to Live 10 until 10.1 (I had more interest in the .1 features than the headline features of 10!) and during a 33% off sale...

I was disappointed in tempo match, I was hoping to play my wonky guitar in and have the drums and bass follow me, but that technology hasn't been invented yet :borg: :wink:
I can’t get it to follow a simple percussive line of any kind. Tap tempo works 100x better.

The fact that if you can use more than an audio input on your interface for it, then they did a good job of hiding it bothered me too. it would be cool to be able to play a bass synth or drum line on a virtual instrument and have it follow that. Something i would guess Logic will be able to do the soonest, since it can already extract tempo and groove from a track and use it to make a drum line.

c_voltage wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:11 pm But honestly to say i do not think that it was very right decision, to mix m4l devices together with all rest.
That's because even Intro has some M4L devices now (like the LFO). But no M4L.

Oh, Ableton can extract groove, no?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:53 pmSomething i would guess Logic will be able to do the soonest, since it can already extract tempo and groove from a track and use it to make a drum line.
Logic works really well for tempo mapping... That is one of the reasons I use Logic.

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:31 pm
c_voltage wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:11 pm But honestly to say i do not think that it was very right decision, to mix m4l devices together with all rest.
That's because even Intro has some M4L devices now (like the LFO). But no M4L.
Hmm, then ok.

super pleased with my first v.11 run-thru here
as reported elsewhere : loads faster than v.9&10 did . . .
runs at about the same cpu load as previous
new verb is effing amazing
peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:51 pm
c_voltage wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 pm
Kinh wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:42 am Not all m4l devices are showing in 'audio effects', only a few of em. Is anyone else getting this?
Yes the same here. For example Envelope disappeared. Will check next what else.

UPD envelope found, now its as MIDI Envelope
That's because it's triggered by MIDI, hence it's in MIDI effects.
Most of the audio m4l aren't there too. In fact only some of the new m4l (pitch loop 89 ain't there) and a few of the old ones show

Mister Natural wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:39 am super pleased with my first v.11 run-thru here
as reported elsewhere : loads faster than v.9&10 did . . .
runs at about the same cpu load as previous
new verb is effing amazing
peace
Same here, mega pleased so far :)

machinesworking wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:53 pm I can’t get it to follow a simple percussive line of any kind. Tap tempo works 100x better.

The fact that if you can use more than an audio input on your interface for it, then they did a good job of hiding it bothered me too. it would be cool to be able to play a bass synth or drum line on a virtual instrument and have it follow that. Something i would guess Logic will be able to do the soonest, since it can already extract tempo and groove from a track and use it to make a drum line.
Same here. I played an isolated drum track into the audio input and it is very poor at tracking the tempo much at all. Cubase works far far better at doing this.

And why is tempo detection only running for a live audio input while recording? This should be usable for an audio track. That is, drag/drop an audio clip onto an audio track, then run tempo detection offline on it.

And it should certainly be working for a MIDI track as well. It does indeed seem like it is being hidden in some regard since it's only available on a realtime audio input.

What i liked separately, it's UI gamma became more like to v9 (more contrast a bit), that better.
New reverb and spectral fx's very good, and surprisingly low cpu usage (reverb about 3-4%, effects almost zero), honestly i thought it will be cpu eating. And in general cpu usage there is really feeling that became less a bit, checked at old test project.

Dirtgrain wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:50 pm Oh, Ableton can extract groove, no?
Not in 'real time' it seems! :x
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Haven't had much chance to play with it yet but I like what I'm seeing so far. Seem snappier from a performance perspective. The UI seems clearer than 10. Easier to read and less 'fuzziness' on the text. Even EQ8 graph seems sharper.
Love the new reverb, especially the shimmer algorithm.
Spitfire packs are nice additions too. Many older packs got updated with a few new things and some midi clips etc.
Overall I would say its a very nice update based on my limited exposure so far.

Macro Control Variation i.e. presets for macro chains. I'm very surprised this isn't automatable. In pre-release it was described as useful for easily applying different effect settings to different parts of a track over time e.g. have a more chorused/eq'd/reverbed guitar sound in the chorus compared to the verse, just by selecting a different macro variation. But you have to do this manually? Eh? Kind of defeats the point. Obviously the workaround and classic method of working anyway, is to duplicate your track and have different settings for different parts of your song. But still. Perhaps I'm missing something

leeleema wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:58 pm Macro Control Variation i.e. presets for macro chains. I'm very surprised this isn't automatable. In pre-release it was described as useful for easily applying different effect settings to different parts of a track over time e.g. have a more chorused/eq'd/reverbed guitar sound in the chorus compared to the verse, just by selecting a different macro variation. But you have to do this manually? Eh?
Record whatever settings you want, then add linear (or nonlinear) automation between the points.

Have to admit though, you need to click the automation for every parameter separately.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”