Tracking Apple Silicon Native Hosts, Plugins, Effects

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

BASSROOM is also native.
Strange, I'm running v1.0.6 and Activity Monitor says it's Intel.

Also:

Code: Select all

dmuzik@Denniss-MBP-13 MacOS % pwd
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/BASSROOM.component/Contents/MacOS
dmuzik@Denniss-MBP-13 MacOS % file "BASSROOM"
BASSROOM: Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64

DMuzik wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:36 am
BASSROOM is also native.
Strange, I'm running v1.0.6 and Activity Monitor says it's Intel.

Also:

dmuzik@Denniss-MBP-13 MacOS % pwd
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/BASSROOM.component/Contents/MacOS
dmuzik@Denniss-MBP-13 MacOS % file "BASSROOM"
BASSROOM: Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64
Yep. I was trusting the specifications listed on PluginBoutique, which showed "macOS 11 Big Sur + Apple M1 Silicon supported" just as they show for the Mastering the Mix plugins that are native. Grr. Updated.

This is so frustrating. So now we can’t trust a developer’s word that a plugin is *true* native M1 without installing it and checking what MacOS says about it?

Something has got to change. Developers don’t lie about a plugin being VST3 when it’s really VST2.4, why is this different?
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Kongru wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:38 pm This is so frustrating. So now we can’t trust a developer’s word that a plugin is *true* native M1 without installing it and checking what MacOS says about it?

Something has got to change. Developers don’t lie about a plugin being VST3 when it’s really VST2.4, why is this different?
I think most devs have been pretty honest about it, at least the ones I patronize. I've been getting most of my updates about this from them directly, either through e-mail notification or their own website. What can't be trusted are the big data aggregator pages where "supported" or "compatible" could mean different things.

This issue keeps going on. A updated product advertised as Universal 2 Binary.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/cyclic ... ve-records

Terminal says the opposite... it's x86 only.

Realess-iMac:~ reales$ file /Users/reales/Desktop/Cyclic\ Demo.app/Contents/MacOS/Cyclic\ Demo 

/Users/reales/Desktop/Cyclic Demo.app/Contents/MacOS/Cyclic Demo: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
List with updated products as U2B can be found at https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/the-ne ... ry/updated

IMO ARM64 compatible apps and plugins via Rosetta 2 should be differentiated from Native ARM64. As said it's like advertising as 64-bit but the reality is you need a 3rd party 32-bit wrapper to make it work.

The description for Universal 2 Binary on the tag page says:

“Universal 2 binary format applications and plug-ins run on both Intel x86-64-based and ARM64-based Macintosh computers ("Apple Silicon" / "Apple M1").
Native apps run more efficiently than translated apps because the compiler is able to optimize your code for the target architecture. An app that supports only the x86_64 architecture must run under Rosetta translation on Apple silicon. A universal binary runs natively on both Apple silicon and Intel-based Mac computers, because it contains executable code for both architectures.

For the majority of products that are tagged with Universal 2 Binary that simply isn’t true.

Unfortunately, KVR can no more verify every developer's claim than I can here. The problem is squarely on the shoulders of the devs.

This will eventually reach a head once one of the mainstream DAWs comes out native. Right now, for example, only Reaper supports native VSTs, so in large part, the devs have been able to hide behind Logic's Rosetta2 bridging.

When the M1X models come out later this year, there's going to be a whole lot more demand. That's when I'm making the jump for my DAW machine, and I imagine that's true for a lot of others as well. While I have an M1 Mini, it's for a live streaming setup, so I only use a few plugins there.

Ting by Klevgrand is now native M1 compatible:

v1.0.2

Native ARM support for macOS (M1 processor)

They also have a couple of others they’ve made M1 compatible, I’ll make a list later.

Verified as ARM64 compatible.

TransientShaperAU.component/Contents/MacOS/TransientShaperAU: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64] [arm64:Mach-O 64-bit bundle arm64]
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/transi ... chnologies

mispost

New verified ARM64 effects:
  • Audiority PolyComp and Solidus Randy 250
  • Hornet ELM128 MK2 (no demo but other of their products are real U2B so it should be).
  • Youlean Loudness Meter

discoDSP wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:10 pm New verified ARM64 effects:
  • Audiority PolyComp and Solidus Randy 250
  • Hornet ELM128 MK2 (no demo but other of their products are real U2B so it should be).
  • Youlean Loudness Meter
Had Youlean Loudness Meter already. Added the others.

teilo wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:30 pm Had Youlean Loudness Meter already. Added the others.
Forgot to verify the main list. Will do from now on.

There's a pre-release version of Xfer Records OTT available for M1, see https://xferrecords.com/forums/general/ ... le-silicon

Interstellar Waterphone at https://www.soundyan.com/ VST3, AU and Standalone

InterstellarWaterphone.component/Contents/MacOS/InterstellarWaterphone: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64] [arm64]

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”