Eternity (I feel so free) ... [retro synthpop]... feedback welcome

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trying to make three chords interesting.
I'm exploring Omnisphere and there's some nice retro sounding synth stuff in there.
Feedback on mixing, arrangement, etc. always welcome.
(The room where I am mixing now is not sound treated so getting a good idea of frequencies is a challenge. Getting an idea of what other people hear might be helpful).
https://soundcloud.com/bansaw-843690132 ... el-so-free

well, ive heard some of your previous songs where the overall level
of the songs were quite strained. but not this one. it breathes well
and is dynamic. so high marks there. musically, i was expecting it to bust
out into some sung verses other than the female sound bites.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:01 am well, ive heard some of your previous songs where the overall level
of the songs were quite strained. but not this one. it breathes well
and is dynamic. so high marks there. musically, i was expecting it to bust
out into some sung verses other than the female sound bites.
Thanks Layzer. I did back off the compressor on this one. I'm becoming a fan of more dynamic range. Plus this track has less elements and I'm improving on separating the elements more.
I was thinking about sung vocals, but just had the spoken vox to work with.

hi, this is a really nice track - i would agree what layzer said (the spoken words) - but you mentioned it already.
the track has a really nice fore- and background (very 3d-dimensional, on my speakers - how did you do that?). Reverb is a bit much for my taste, but i think it's the genre (what reverb do u use?). The bass is very nice - what synth is it?
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

Cool track. Very different from your usual stuff but still good. I didn't find any production problems at all. Doesn't Omnisphere sound great? Wait until you really start diving into it.

Bansaw wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:28 pm Thanks Layzer. I did back off the compressor on this one. I'm becoming a fan of more dynamic range.
glad to hear it :clap:

i said it once and i'll say it again.
Dynamic range provides contrast
and contrast brings everything to life.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

tomtom1 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:39 pm hi, this is a really nice track - i would agree what layzer said (the spoken words) - but you mentioned it already.
the track has a really nice fore- and background (very 3d-dimensional, on my speakers - how did you do that?). Reverb is a bit much for my taste, but i think it's the genre (what reverb do u use?). The bass is very nice - what synth is it?
thanks tomtom, the three dimensional-ness is down to me hard panning some elements, but mainly to my new plugin LeapWing StageOne. With a sprinkling of DrMS and Elysia Alpha Compressor.
The reverb is the built in one in Omnisphere. The poly lead and bass are Omnisphere.

Some good atmosphere here, but the drums seem very low to me.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Yes - I counted the chords: 3 chords! It can be hard to use a turnaround
alone. Because the vocals appear briefly as snippets, there is no real
melody - at first it feels "artificially put together". But the song has a
freshness and it's easy to listen to. The drums are well coordinated and
well done. :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Enjoyable composition and ambiance. Good mix and sounds.

A very polished track, good mix and separation between instruments.
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

wagtunes wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:44 pm Cool track. Very different from your usual stuff but still good. I didn't find any production problems at all. Doesn't Omnisphere sound great? Wait until you really start diving into it.
thanks Wags - appreciate your feedback
and Roman, funny thing is that I uploaded it to Soundcloud and then listened to it, and then thought the drums were too loud so turned them down. I don't know if its the room we're in that means that we hear it differently.

Enjoyed it...loads of well selected sounds and interesting musical ideas + big, shiny, warm production again without a doubt and the dynamics are controlled but still have room to breathe.

Omnisphere - don't get me started...love the damn thing...owned it for years and still exploring its huge potential.

1 min 15 seconds...epic melody here is well timed...definitely needed a big moment to break away from the more low key spoken vocals, but for me the note selection could've been better against those 3 chords...particularly the sustained Gs without any preparation over the F Major and then the A minor...just grated a little bit! Nothing 'wrong' with it as such, but I think better choices were available and in this simple harmonic context the melody / underlying chords combo didn't quite work 100%.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

@enroe - thanks for the comment. I thought I'd try and limit myself to 3 chords to see if I could still be creative. Thanks for listening and commenting. :tu:

@markkuja, thanks for commenting, Pleased you enjoyed it.

@Maltone, thanks. Separation and space is something I've been working on.

@Chameleon, thanks Mark. Appreciate the time you took for suggestions, especially about the melody. Always good to get feedback from someone experienced.

Sounds huge, love it. Lush production, with good dynamics. Good job.

Return to “Music Cafe”