Oberheim vs. Oberheim

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Matrix 12 V2 OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer Obsession OP-X PRO-II OP-Xa V SEM V2

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:52 am

Finally, Serum is a synth, no real man would be caught dead using it.
I'll just be in the car park if you need me.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:59 pm Serums filters are better then the Oberheims. Just use German LP. It’s sounds extra warm and analougueyish. I think this is because of the special analogue sauce they put into it.
Technically speaking, it's a demi-glace, a mother sauce.
Actually, I will not address any of that and rather admit; you are correct Bones, us blasted kids need to become real men like you, in a testosterone filled rage I shall now open up Obsession and play the Tom Sayer lead so loud everyone in my city will be able to hear it.
Tom Sawyer must played with your feet! It makes it extra analougueyish.

todays leo sayer is a modern day warrior...

Do you guys want him back? He seems like such a fish out of water here and we really don't need him at all.
Spencer Maddox wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:59 pmSerums filters are better then the Oberheims. Just use German LP. It’s sounds extra warm and analougueyish.
How does that make it better? There are plenty of really shitty analogue filters out there. e.g. Moog Ladder Filter. OTOH, there is no better filter in the entire universe than the SEM's, and I've looked in every galaxy, just to be sure. If one ever existed, it was swallowed by a black hole a long time ago (yet might still be visible on the event horizon).
Serums unison is also vastly superior to the OB. The OB unison is only useful for making the Jump sound over and over again. Serums unison is powerful. It’s not even in the same ballpark as the Ob, it’s in the majors while the OB plays Tball.
That's not very handy if you are trying to sound like an Oberheim, though, is it?
Actually, I will not address any of that and rather admit; you are correct Bones, us blasted kids need to become real men like you, in a testosterone filled rage I shall now open up Obsession and play the Tom Sayer lead so loud everyone in my city will be able to hear it.
Actually, Obsession is, at best, a bit androgynous, hardly a synth for real men, either. Real men go straight for the SEM, or something modelled on it. if they can't get a SEM, then a Polyvoks filter will do, or one of Korg's more aggressive sounding filters. But if you ever hope to grow a decent mat of back hair, it's SEM all the way.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

@BONES re: SEM

I can only speak from the currently most current modern hardware implementation: yes, the SEM can be a beast. Or it can be delicate. It’s quite fascinating and I’ve spent hours on hours just turning knobs and listening to it instead of doing anything. It’s worse than Omnisphere that way! Heh.

I enjoy the sound of Obsession and am glad I have it. Oberhausen is a nice compliment to the Ob-6, without which I’m certain I’d use oberhausen more.

Unison on oberhausen is fairly impressive. However, depending on the patch, all 6 voices (2 oscillators plus sub per voice) on the OB-6 in unison can be even more powerful than 32 software ones. I tend to like 1 or 2 voices more... cleaner sounding than massive and massively detuned oscillators. But sometimes 5 or 6 is perfect.

Edit: I also added Acidbox3 to get another 12db dirty beast I can use on hardware or software synths.
Last edited by vitocorleone123 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Real men use a 303 and 101

best filters in the world ever!

vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:01 amI can only speak from the currently most current modern hardware implementation: yes, the SEM can be a beast. Or it can be delicate. It’s quite fascinating and I’ve spent hours on hours just turning knobs and listening to it instead of doing anything. It’s worse than Omnisphere that way! Heh.
Pretty cool when you think that SEM is just about as simple as synths get, while Omnisphere is the exact opposite. Yet both manage to be equally beguiling.
Unison on oberhausen is fairly impressive. However, depending on the patch, all 6 voices (2 oscillators plus sub per voice) on the OB-6 in unison can be even more powerful than 32 software ones. I tend to like 1 or 2 voices more... cleaner sounding than massive and massively detuned oscillators. But sometimes 5 or 6 is perfect.
I'm the same - with my favourite synths, 3 voices is my standard but sometimes I'll go to 5 (odd numbers means you always get one voice at the root tuning). I also like to use unison on one osc and leave the other one solo and mixed louder, which makes it more like a lead/backing vocals situation. However, there are some synths with a weaker unison implementation that seem to require as many voices as you can possibly muster and, even then, barely manage to be passable.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

poopinpants wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:45 am What about obxd?
yep, if anyone is good enough at composing, mixing and producing, no one listening to that well done music would be able to tell if you used
OBXD or any other emu.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Juljan wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:44 pmBut as I understand correctly, there are different models that are emulated. Which one would you pick?
I think none of them is just a straight clone since all of them offer added features the original hardware didn't have, which makes the borders between the models somehow fluid.

So imho the question is if the plugin a) offers the features you need and b) if it can deliver the sound(s) you're out for.

I don't get it, they're just simple 2 oscillator analog synths with a bit of alternating panning, any softsynth that can be made unstable or panned does the job. OP-X was made 10 years ago in Synthedit and doesn't do any fancy state-of-the-art physical modelling technology like Arturia does. :hihi:

If you don’t have them all, you’re not a complete person.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

cyrb wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:24 am I don't get it, they're just simple 2 oscillator analog synths with a bit of alternating panning, any softsynth that can be made unstable or panned does the job. OP-X was made 10 years ago in Synthedit and doesn't do any fancy state-of-the-art physical modelling technology like Arturia does. :hihi:
Incorrect. OP-X was custom coded but used Synthedit for UI only. I’ve not put OP-X II up next to OB-Xa, but it wouldn’t tell me much as OP-Xa V is modeled after an OP-Xa and OP-X II is modeled after an OB-X. Similar but different synths.

It’s one of those things were if it means something to you, it probably means a lot. “...any soft synth that can be made unstable or panned does the job” for you. If you want something that does those things and actually sounds like a vintage Oberheim... well “any soft synth” isn’t going to do it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

The real OB-Xa is such a shite synth.

AnX wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:14 am Real men use a 303 and 101

best filters in the world ever!
can confirm the three pole is sorely missed in most instruments.

edit: if you can link a one pole and a two pole together you are good tho.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:26 am The real OB-Xa is such a shite synth.
is it upsampled? because i can totally tell the dif in my 50$ headphones. 2* is obvious. on the other hand, they tend to be more f.u.n.

Return to “Instruments”