Plugins that deserve attention which uses iLok dongle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spencer Maddox wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:21 am
robotmonkey wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:28 am No plugin that uses Ilok deserves attention.
F
A
L
C
O
N
"Falcon uses iLok License Manager for authorization and includes 3 activations per license. Authorizations can be stored on computer hard drive or iLok dongle. Initial activation requires an iLok account (free) and an active internet connection".
Dombaeb wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:43 am I'm interested in plugins that use strict iLok dongle authorization and don't allow software
:shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

GRM Tools
Most plugins by Zynaptiq

Nevermind, another brain fart by me...

Teksonik wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:40 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:21 am
robotmonkey wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:28 am No plugin that uses Ilok deserves attention.
F
A
L
C
O
N
"Falcon uses iLok License Manager for authorization and includes 3 activations per license. Authorizations can be stored on computer hard drive or iLok dongle. Initial activation requires an iLok account (free) and an active internet connection".
Dombaeb wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:43 am I'm interested in plugins that use strict iLok dongle authorization and don't allow software
:shrug:
Derp.
That’s what I get for walking into a thread and responding to posts before I read the full thread. :hihi: my bad.
I thought he ment just Ilok manager in general including dongle. Hence why falcon was the first thing to come to mind.

I don’t think there’s many dongle only programs ever since they came out with the Cloud tbh.
You can run Pro Tools even now without a dongle.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

3 pages in should probably mention Altiverb...

Spencer Maddox wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:44 pm I don’t think there’s many dongle only programs ever since they came out with the Cloud tbh.
It appears there are fewer and fewer Dongle only plugins. I guess all the complaining about Dongles over the years has had an effect. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Eiosis both AirEQ and E2Desser are excellent

Teksonik wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:28 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:44 pm I don’t think there’s many dongle only programs ever since they came out with the Cloud tbh.
It appears there are fewer and fewer Dongle only plugins. I guess all the complaining about Dongles over the years has had an effect. :tu:
Multiple factors I think.
Cloud computing obviously has evolved.
A lot of backlash against dongles too...low popularity.
I think an underated reason,
The USB A format that the Ilok and Elicemcer uses is being phased away.
Not in desktops yet I don’t think but definitely on laptops and portable computers.
ILOK Could he preparing for an Dramatic shift away from the physical dongle as a result to this.

Orrrrrrr they are working on a New Dongle that fits the New Faster USBC/Lightning trend :hihi:
It would Probally be smaller
Because that’s what we need.
An iLok that’s even smalller and easier to loose :hihi:
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Softube and emperical labs have just released Mike-E for an intro price of only 199 €, way too cheap imo, I won't buy, because there must be someting wrong if it's that cheap, maybe if it was 500, but not 199, sorry. I mean Plugin Alliance and Waves have deals for average 35 USd and plugins work great, also great deals from Eventide and IK multimedia and all of them had some freebies recently, but Shittube is geeting too cheap imo...

Just stick to 35 usd plugins. Or to 29 usd plugins if you’re smart.
Get tens of them, way smarter then a couple of expensive plugs. Can easily get 5-6 plugs instead of one overpriced overhyped synth, or 10-12 instead of two of them
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Dencheg wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:29 am Just stick to 35 usd plugins. Or to 29 usd plugins if you’re smart.
Get tens of them, way smarter then a couple of expensive plugs. Can easily get 5-6 plugs instead of one overpriced overhyped synth, or 10-12 instead of two of them
Smarter in what way? Having fewer, high quality and or versatile plugins, that you know well, is generally better than having tonnes of cheaper and possibly more limited, not as nice sounding ones, that you never bother to learn properly because you just buy the next $29 instead. That's not to say that there aren't excellent low price options around, but sometimes paying a bit more is worth it imo.

Let's take Fab Filter Saturn for example. At $154 it's not the cheapest plugin (you can get it for $115 or less if you combine it with another of their plugins in a custom bundle during one of their two annual sales), but it's incredibly versatile ad easily covers the same or more ground than multiple more simple $29 plugins, plus you only have one to learn one UI, manage one set of presets and so on. I'm much happier to have paid a premium for something that I use in every session for multiple sound design and mixing tasks.
Always Read the Manual!

That was exactly my point ;)
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

I tend to avoid iLok where I can, but the main plugins I really miss are the Relab Development reverbs, particularly Sonsig Rev-A.

The Exponential Audio reverbs are also top notch, although I tend to prefer the more lush Relab sound in most instances, but really both are incredible. I'd also say that R4 and Nimbus are quite a lot more versatile than iZotope's new Neoverb too if you prefer the EA sound.

I own all reverbs by Relab and EA and honestly, they are worth it alone for me. Relab provides 2 authorisations for each plugin (which is common for other vendors like Softube too), while the EA plugins only give you 1, which is a shame. Just something to watch out for.

ValhallaDSP reverbs are fantastic and don't require PACE but there's just something really special about the Relab reverbs that you can't get from the Valhalla reverbs. They're just so different that it's really worth having Relab along with Valhalla.

For what I personally do, I can live without iLok / PACE for just about everything else.

One final note, as mentioned, almost all plugins can be authorised on machine these days. Just be aware that if your computer dies or similar, you'll need to contact each manufacturer to request a reset of your licenses. I've verified that iZotope (for EA) and Relab Development will gladly assist in these circumstances.

I would personally (just my opinion) suggest not getting too entrenched in the iLok ecosystem so you have less vendors to contact if you use machine authorisation and things go south on your machine.

Good luck and have fun!

Edit: Sonsig is currently half price ... https://relabdevelopment.com/product/sonsig-rev-a/

Dencheg wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:29 am Just stick to 35 usd plugins. Or to 29 usd plugins if you’re smart.
I tend to do the opposite. I prefer less more powerful plugins (or bundles) that are well maintained. It's easier to stay updated and get the sound you need when you learn the tools you have, then just slapping on 100 one-trick ponies that might break in the next DAW/OS/Whatever update.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:57 pm GRM Tools
Most plugins by Zynaptiq
They dont need dongle though. I must admit to being confused by this thread which i thought was about dongled plugins but seems an unclear mix of dongle and non-dongles ilok. eg Falcon gets mentioned but that doesnt need a dongle either. Cloud based is an issue as well

Return to “Effects”