Muse Research Receptor 2 + Komplete inside

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just purchased a Muse Research Receptor 2+ Komplete inside and am trying to find software upgrades/updates for the unit. I have been able to find some documentation supporting the unit but I was hoping to find a source for more information on how to operate and configure the unit.
The less you use your body, the longer you'll have it.

Is Komplete fully registered in the eyes of NI?
My first thought is, if Komplete, or most of it's parts are in working order,
just use it as is, and as time and interest allow, set up a modern
computer based linux, and watch the commercial Komplete upgrade prices during NI sales. You should kontakt NI support to clarify the status of their involvement with Muse and your license, and note the options they provide. They are very generous with old-product upgrading.

Assuming it's running a custom linux pepared for or by Muse, there are a lot of commands to help find what's under the hood, and from there, upgrade possibilities. So you'll need a terminal from within the Muse, or the ability to access it's filesystem by some type connectivity

uname -a will display the kernel name

aplay -l lists detected soundcard details

lscpu lists cpu details

Wine for running vsts could be in /opt or in /usr/lib
A lot dends on how locked down the muse OS is.

I hope you didn't pay too much, Muse is gone and they no longer support it at all.

There used to be a good bit of information and a decent amount of support at the forum right here on KVR, but it looks like all that info has been taken down.

All the basic configuration can be handled from the app/GUI or on the Receptor itself.
Unless you're a serious Linux user I wouldn't try prying under the hood too much.

Oh yeah one last word of advice, make sure you back up the unit if it's running.
Use the built in abilities, it can take multiple attempts if I recall.

I sold mine a couple years ago, the good thing is your Komplete is still very usable on other devices too. And you can upgrade anytime to the most recent version for a very reasonable fee. I sold my receptor and kept Komplete. Remember the Receptor will only handle the version that came on it, I don't think you can use newer versions on it. You used to be able to upgrade Komplete on Receptor but it tended to require support's help.

Good luck,
Dirk

Thank you so much for your information. I guess I'm pretty much on my own here. I'm surprised that KVR has deleted any information concerning the unit. Is the founder of Muse Research still around? I feel that the receptor was a great idea and it could be very useful in touring situations. I also have a MuseBox as well so I'm all set with this older technology. I am a very big fan of Linux and am an avid supporter of "Right To Repair". Apple/Mac is my go to platform
The less you use your body, the longer you'll have it.

You could probably make a custom linux box using SSDs and a graphics card
with a heatsink rather than fan system. With a modern distro, Reaper,
wine-staging, and plugin wrappers linvst and ya-bridge, the Native Access
app should be able to register upgraded Komplete apps, for running wrapped in
linux reaper, or as-is in windows reaper in wine.
Cheers

OK I was just looking through an old backup drive and I did manage to find the Muse_Tools_1.4.20120206.
You're welcome to it. I didn't find a way to upload it, so maybe blast me a PM.

They were based out of Menlo Park California, I wish I could remember the names of the folks I had dealt with back then.

The Receptor was born when computers weren't really that reliable, lots have changed since then.

By the way if you are looking for a Linux alternative, check out AV Linux, I believe there are others like Ubuntu Studio as well.

Good luck,
Dirk

AVLinux and Ubuntu Studio work well, very little audio tech needed to configure,
AVL even has wine-staging and linvst plugin wrapper preinstalled, to ease use of windows plugins.
Cheers

Return to “Instruments”