Reverbs

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRist

Topic Starter

32 posts since 21 Jul, 2020

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:15 am

Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:39 pm
Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:32 am


I'm thinking very seriously about buying the PCM Total Bundle. This is serious money for me, but they appear to be the best.
what makes it the best?

The strategy they use to get people to buy is mark up the price, create perceived value, pay $$ for experts to endorse. Some companies can afford to to this, others cant but that dont make their product worse.

Long story short, use your stock reverb unless you need something specific like plate or diffusion that yours cant do cause quality wise, they're all similar.
Of course it’s the sound that’s makes the lexicon best. I’d not compromise for anything other than sound.

I take this very seriously, it’s not a hobby or game for me.

Honestly if you think that stock reverb plugins are good enough, I’d suggest you’re in the wrong forum. There’s a massive difference in quality and sound. Reverb is probably the most important effect to understand and use.

KVRAF
3538 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:19 am

There's plenty of decent stock reverbs.
Logic's ChromaVerb (algo) and SpaceDesigner (IR) are great. Although i rarely use the latter since i'm not fond of IR's

KVRAF
5419 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:44 am

Is this topic going to reverberate across many pages, or will damping be applied for a smooth decay into silence? :D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

User avatar
KVRAF
3884 posts since 28 Jun, 2009 from Wherever I lay my hat

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:02 am

himalaya wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:44 am
Is this topic going to reverberate across many pages, or will damping be applied for a smooth decay into silence? :D
Not likely, although it would help if the signal were high-passed to remove that awful headroom-eating rumble. :hihi:

KVRAF
2349 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:02 am

@himalaya: I imagine it will only flutter around for a couple more days, although perhaps it will spring into action irregularly thereafter?

KVRAF
5419 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:18 am

A lot of well thought out replies. Not many Impulse Response posts. :hihi:
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

KVRian
1144 posts since 27 May, 2008

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:21 am

I would echo that. I would echo that.

KVRAF
2349 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:22 am

himalaya wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:18 am
A lot of well thought out replies. Not many Impulse Response posts. :hihi:
They certainly reflect well upon our sophisticated wit and ability to step up to the plate with eloquent puns :hihi:

User avatar
KVRian
1366 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbit Sol III

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:29 am

The 2CAudio stuff is quite good but the hype and the price is a big turn off. Maybe on just the right material, monitored on a proper playback system the Exponential stuff is better sounding than Valhalla. The Lexicon has great sound, tons of hype, high price, it would be more sensible to use Exponential. I’ll go with Vroom and Vplate. PSP 2445 is excellent too.

And yeah ValhallaDelay is awful 😄 definitely should be free, can’t understand how anyone can even use it!/s
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

KVRAF
1596 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:32 am

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:15 am
Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:39 pm
Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:32 am


I'm thinking very seriously about buying the PCM Total Bundle. This is serious money for me, but they appear to be the best.
what makes it the best?

The strategy they use to get people to buy is mark up the price, create perceived value, pay $$ for experts to endorse. Some companies can afford to to this, others cant but that dont make their product worse.

Long story short, use your stock reverb unless you need something specific like plate or diffusion that yours cant do cause quality wise, they're all similar.
Of course it’s the sound that’s makes the lexicon best. I’d not compromise for anything other than sound.

I take this very seriously, it’s not a hobby or game for me.

Honestly if you think that stock reverb plugins are good enough, I’d suggest you’re in the wrong forum. There’s a massive difference in quality and sound. Reverb is probably the most important effect to understand and use.
Dont stress, you dont have to take my advice.
You can either find out the easy or hard way, your choice. Trust me, I was like you once upon a time, spent shit loads on many reverbs only to prefer my stock Ableton to this day.
Advice: use your ears, not your instinct and you'll have more money to spend on things that matter.

KVRian
579 posts since 29 Oct, 2015 from Jupiter 8

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:39 am

i can only vouch for Reaper's and Sonar's stock algorithmic reverbs being absolute garbage.
Valhalla is a huge step up and imo more than good enough for absolutely professional results (for synthetic music at least, not sure how they fare for orchestral stuff and such)
Lexicons and some other expensive stuff might actually sound “better“ in isolation, but for me, if i want transparent and EQ my reverb a lot anyway, it doesn't really matter anymore and my beloved VVV is actually more flexible than quite a few expensive guys.

Convolution is another story and your stock DAW reverb will pretty much be perfect.
The one that comes with Reaper is actually quite feature packed!
“People pay good money for old stuff because they mistakenly think that the gear has more to do with the products than it actually did. And because it makes them feel good to own it.“ wise man on GS

KVRAF
20587 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:46 am

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:55 am
Had a look at the 2C Audio website. It’s so full of bullshit buzzwords that I don’t even know what I’m looking at. This is exactly the sort of bullshit I want to discourage.
The 2CAudio stuff is fantastic - you completely lost me there.

KVRist

Topic Starter

32 posts since 21 Jul, 2020

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:00 am

jens wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:46 am
Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:55 am
Had a look at the 2C Audio website. It’s so full of bullshit buzzwords that I don’t even know what I’m looking at. This is exactly the sort of bullshit I want to discourage.
The 2CAudio stuff is fantastic - you completely lost me there.
Please tell me what “scientific precision” means then. Or any of the other nonsensical rubbish they have on their website. Honestly, it’s like reading some audiophile snake oil shit. Not even going to try them for fear I’ll encourage more of this garbage marketing non-speak.

User avatar
KVRAF
1649 posts since 4 May, 2012

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:24 am

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:00 am
jens wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:46 am
Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:55 am
Had a look at the 2C Audio website. It’s so full of bullshit buzzwords that I don’t even know what I’m looking at. This is exactly the sort of bullshit I want to discourage.
The 2CAudio stuff is fantastic - you completely lost me there.
Please tell me what “scientific precision” means then. Or any of the other nonsensical rubbish they have on their website. Honestly, it’s like reading some audiophile snake oil shit. Not even going to try them for fear I’ll encourage more of this garbage marketing non-speak.
Doesn't matter. Try them out and let your ears decide.

The company (2CAudio) itself is great, by the way - excellent customer service - no fuss.

KVRist

Topic Starter

32 posts since 21 Jul, 2020

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:29 am

FapFilter wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:39 am
i can only vouch for Reaper's and Sonar's stock algorithmic reverbs being absolute garbage.
Valhalla is a huge step up and imo more than good enough for absolutely professional results (for synthetic music at least, not sure how they fare for orchestral stuff and such)
Lexicons and some other expensive stuff might actually sound “better“ in isolation, but for me, if i want transparent and EQ my reverb a lot anyway, it doesn't really matter anymore and my beloved VVV is actually more flexible than quite a few expensive guys.

Convolution is another story and your stock DAW reverb will pretty much be perfect.
The one that comes with Reaper is actually quite feature packed!
Reaper's, Sonar's, Ableton 10's, Logic's Space Designer thing, all very poor sounding. Of course, anything using IR will (should) sound as good as the IRs used.

So far nothing I have demoed has sat as well in the mix as the Lexicon stuff does - so I'm going with that. It's a nice combination of smooth, detailed and dense. I've also purchased the Voxengo verb because it sounds good and very different to the Lexicon so will compliment it well if I need something al little sharper than the Lexicon stuff.

Return to “Effects”