Reverbs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kinh wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:39 am
Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:32 am

I'm thinking very seriously about buying the PCM Total Bundle. This is serious money for me, but they appear to be the best.
what makes it the best?

The strategy they use to get people to buy is mark up the price, create perceived value, pay $$ for experts to endorse. Some companies can afford to to this, others cant but that dont make their product worse.

Long story short, use your stock reverb unless you need something specific like plate or diffusion that yours cant do cause quality wise, they're all similar.
Of course it’s the sound that’s makes the lexicon best. I’d not compromise for anything other than sound.

I take this very seriously, it’s not a hobby or game for me.

Honestly if you think that stock reverb plugins are good enough, I’d suggest you’re in the wrong forum. There’s a massive difference in quality and sound. Reverb is probably the most important effect to understand and use.

There's plenty of decent stock reverbs.
Logic's ChromaVerb (algo) and SpaceDesigner (IR) are great. Although i rarely use the latter since i'm not fond of IR's

Is this topic going to reverberate across many pages, or will damping be applied for a smooth decay into silence? :D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:44 am Is this topic going to reverberate across many pages, or will damping be applied for a smooth decay into silence? :D
Not likely, although it would help if the signal were high-passed to remove that awful headroom-eating rumble. :hihi:

@himalaya: I imagine it will only flutter around for a couple more days, although perhaps it will spring into action irregularly thereafter?

A lot of well thought out replies. Not many Impulse Response posts. :hihi:
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I would echo that. I would echo that.

himalaya wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:18 am A lot of well thought out replies. Not many Impulse Response posts. :hihi:
They certainly reflect well upon our sophisticated wit and ability to step up to the plate with eloquent puns :hihi:

The 2CAudio stuff is quite good but the hype and the price is a big turn off. Maybe on just the right material, monitored on a proper playback system the Exponential stuff is better sounding than Valhalla. The Lexicon has great sound, tons of hype, high price, it would be more sensible to use Exponential. I’ll go with Vroom and Vplate. PSP 2445 is excellent too.

And yeah ValhallaDelay is awful 😄 definitely should be free, can’t understand how anyone can even use it!/s
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:15 am
Kinh wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:39 am
Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:32 am

I'm thinking very seriously about buying the PCM Total Bundle. This is serious money for me, but they appear to be the best.
what makes it the best?

The strategy they use to get people to buy is mark up the price, create perceived value, pay $$ for experts to endorse. Some companies can afford to to this, others cant but that dont make their product worse.

Long story short, use your stock reverb unless you need something specific like plate or diffusion that yours cant do cause quality wise, they're all similar.
Of course it’s the sound that’s makes the lexicon best. I’d not compromise for anything other than sound.

I take this very seriously, it’s not a hobby or game for me.

Honestly if you think that stock reverb plugins are good enough, I’d suggest you’re in the wrong forum. There’s a massive difference in quality and sound. Reverb is probably the most important effect to understand and use.
Dont stress, you dont have to take my advice.
You can either find out the easy or hard way, your choice. Trust me, I was like you once upon a time, spent shit loads on many reverbs only to prefer my stock Ableton to this day.
Advice: use your ears, not your instinct and you'll have more money to spend on things that matter.

i can only vouch for Reaper's and Sonar's stock algorithmic reverbs being absolute garbage.
Valhalla is a huge step up and imo more than good enough for absolutely professional results (for synthetic music at least, not sure how they fare for orchestral stuff and such)
Lexicons and some other expensive stuff might actually sound “better“ in isolation, but for me, if i want transparent and EQ my reverb a lot anyway, it doesn't really matter anymore and my beloved VVV is actually more flexible than quite a few expensive guys.

Convolution is another story and your stock DAW reverb will pretty much be perfect.
The one that comes with Reaper is actually quite feature packed!
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:55 pm Had a look at the 2C Audio website. It’s so full of bullshit buzzwords that I don’t even know what I’m looking at. This is exactly the sort of bullshit I want to discourage.
The 2CAudio stuff is fantastic - you completely lost me there.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:46 am
Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:55 pm Had a look at the 2C Audio website. It’s so full of bullshit buzzwords that I don’t even know what I’m looking at. This is exactly the sort of bullshit I want to discourage.
Please tell me what “scientific precision” means then. Or any of the other nonsensical rubbish they have on their website. Honestly, it’s like reading some audiophile snake oil shit. Not even going to try them for fear I’ll encourage more of this garbage marketing non-speak.

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:00 pm
jens wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:46 am
Please tell me what “scientific precision” means then. Or any of the other nonsensical rubbish they have on their website. Honestly, it’s like reading some audiophile snake oil shit. Not even going to try them for fear I’ll encourage more of this garbage marketing non-speak.
Doesn't matter. Try them out and let your ears decide.

The company (2CAudio) itself is great, by the way - excellent customer service - no fuss.

FapFilter wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:39 am i can only vouch for Reaper's and Sonar's stock algorithmic reverbs being absolute garbage.
Valhalla is a huge step up and imo more than good enough for absolutely professional results (for synthetic music at least, not sure how they fare for orchestral stuff and such)
Lexicons and some other expensive stuff might actually sound “better“ in isolation, but for me, if i want transparent and EQ my reverb a lot anyway, it doesn't really matter anymore and my beloved VVV is actually more flexible than quite a few expensive guys.

Convolution is another story and your stock DAW reverb will pretty much be perfect.
The one that comes with Reaper is actually quite feature packed!
Reaper's, Sonar's, Ableton 10's, Logic's Space Designer thing, all very poor sounding. Of course, anything using IR will (should) sound as good as the IRs used.

So far nothing I have demoed has sat as well in the mix as the Lexicon stuff does - so I'm going with that. It's a nice combination of smooth, detailed and dense. I've also purchased the Voxengo verb because it sounds good and very different to the Lexicon so will compliment it well if I need something al little sharper than the Lexicon stuff.

Return to “Effects”