Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

What do you mean? What's your screen resolution? Any screenshots?

andrewbrewer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:30 pm I’m not sure if I found a bug, and how to best report a bug. I’m noticing that monophonic playback, legato style, can cause the surge synth to almost infinitely sustain (it does eventually stop but after a long time). This goes away with poly mode or mono mode with envelope re-trigger
Are you using Live 11? And if so, does the Live device MPE mode match the Surge device MPE mode?

baconpaul wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:13 pm [quote=andrewbrewer post_id=8044763 time=<a href="tel:1614616251">1614616251</a> user_id=221065]
I’m not sure if I found a bug, and how to best report a bug. I’m noticing that monophonic playback, legato style, can cause the surge synth to almost infinitely sustain (it does eventually stop but after a long time). This goes away with poly mode or mono mode with envelope re-trigger
Are you using Live 11? And if so, does the Live device MPE mode match the Surge device MPE mode?
[/quote]

I am using live 11! I will check the MPE setting

baconpaul wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:13 pm
andrewbrewer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:30 pm I’m not sure if I found a bug, and how to best report a bug. I’m noticing that monophonic playback, legato style, can cause the surge synth to almost infinitely sustain (it does eventually stop but after a long time). This goes away with poly mode or mono mode with envelope re-trigger
This worked, thanks for the tip!

andrewbrewer wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:29 am
baconpaul wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:13 pm
andrewbrewer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:30 pm I’m not sure if I found a bug, and how to best report a bug. I’m noticing that monophonic playback, legato style, can cause the surge synth to almost infinitely sustain
This worked, thanks for the tip!
No problem. We’ve been in touch with live devs also, and in the next Live 11 point release, we think that surge and live will cross synchronize this state properly.

This is my new music video I made, and the song includes all instruments & sound effects made with Surge. Thanks Surge team for keeping this alive for people like me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA_r7kxZ2Eg
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

bboxdw wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:30 am
baconpaul wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:11 am So just so I understand

Surge Slider drag -> bitwig knob. AOK
Bitwig knob -> surge slider - off by one ‘resolution minimum’

Independent of typein?

Thanks!
Thanks for seeking clarification. I'm pretty sure we're on the same page. If you need more info, or further explanation, let me know.
OK I found and fixed this bug tonight. Should be in a nightly in a couple of hours and will be included in our 1.9 release in late-April early-May.

If you are interested here was the problem. The VST3 API has a parameter point "getDisplayValue(param, float for-value)". It has another API point which is basically "setParam(value)". (very roughly). The getDisplayValue should use the features of the param but the value handed in. Surge was making the mistake of using the current value of the slider for the string.

So if you went setParam / getDisplayValue it worked. If you went getDisplayValue/setParam it would use the prior value to make the *string* even though the value was correct.

So ultimately Bitwig was setting the right value on surge but surge was telling it the wrong string to display. All the other DAWs I tried seem to do set / get but that doesn't mean that Surge was correct.

Once I found it it was a 20 character fix.

Saukar30 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:20 pm This is my new music video I made
Awesome. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

baconpaul wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:14 am
OK I found and fixed this bug tonight. Should be in a nightly in a couple of hours and will be included in our 1.9 release in late-April early-May...
Once I found it it was a 20 character fix.
Thanks for the heads up and explanation!

Hi Folks.

Today we decided to start calling the nightly "1.9 Beta". 4 new oscillators, 16 new effects, loads of micro tuning changes, and a lot more. If you have been running 1.8.1 and are interested on testing, grab 1.9 beta from the surge-synth web page and give it a spin! Bug reports here or on our discord or GitHub if poss. Thanks!

Just downloaded the beta. Make sure you back up your data first as it appears to overwrite files at least in the Skins folder. I don't remember if I've done any patches on this system or not so can't say if those would have been deleted.

I get this issue in Reaper and Cakewalk by Bandlab when left clicking on the patch name area:

Surge 032421-1.png
The list extends well beyond the boundaries of the GUI. Seems like it's displaying horizontally instead of vertically ? Win 10 64 bit.

With all the great new FX it makes me ask will the Effects Bank ever have themes or can the interface be changed now? Not seeing any files for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hmmm cannot confirm that issue in Reaper over here (W10). What's your system config (including GPU, monitor size, display scaling etc)?

FX bank doesn't have themes and isn't skinnable as of yet.

By the way, the factory data folder is not safe for user data. This is why there's a completely separate user data folder where you're supposed to put your own patches, skins, FX presets, wavetables etc. :) Stuff placed there isn't touched by the update installer.

This is my test/internet system an i5 3470 with onboard intel graphics and sound. 24" Monitor 1920x1080. System scaling at default 100%.

The last release version worked fine on this system. I haven't installed the beta on my studio computer.

Where is the other user data folder that is safe to save in ? I backed up my current skin file so nothing was lost as far as I know.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:22 pm This is my test/internet system an i5 3470 with onboard intel graphics and sound. 24" Monitor 1920x1080. System scaling at default 100%.

The last release version worked fine on this system. I haven't installed the beta on my studio computer.

Where is the other user data folder that is safe to save in ? I backed up my current skin file so nothing was lost as far as I know.
In the menu under data and patches there’s an open user data menu item which will take you there

Teksonik wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:22 pm This is my test/internet system an i5 3470 with onboard intel graphics and sound. 24" Monitor 1920x1080. System scaling at default 100%.
W7/8/10?

Return to “Instruments”