Hive 2.1: new sonic territory

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Our devs say that Intel "Nahelem" from 2010 seems to be the minimum spec since merging Arm compatibility in... we'll dd this to the specs on the website...

Big news for who own this amazing synth! one of my faves u-he synths along Zebra (first!) and Diva. All in a place of honor in my wish list.
I am in love with u-he synthesizers from some years ago a musician friend sent me a personalized demo version of some songs from Weather Report, one jazz fusion band that exerted a terrific influence on me.

The synths he used sounded exactly the same as the originals from ARP2600 and Oberheim.  I asked him about that especially for "Havona" and "Palladium" WR songs. He simply told me, "I used u-he synthesizers" .My inmediate thought...Wow!..how are those plugins sounding like that??? the amazement still going!

The new filters and skin are great and all, but can we just take a minute to appreciate that the Amount knob on the compressor in the init patch is now zero by default :party:
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:25 pm The new filters and skin are great and all, but can we just take a minute to appreciate that the Amount knob on the compressor in the init patch is now zero by default :party:
Yes, yes we can. :lol:

One tiny-tiny odd thing I have noticed using it this past week - some values go by 1 full unit, and some go by 0.5 units. Would be nice to have them all just go the same amount some day, in the future, and not really that important, just a minor OCD kind of thing that bugs me ha-ha.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:40 pm Pdxindy, do you save these patches and/or sell them? You're doing some really great stuff with Hive these days.
Thanks! Maybe about 40% of the time I save presets... usually when I have a specific and short term use in mind. Otherwise I always feel both confident and enthused by starting from init. I'll start saving more patches and make them available sometime (no promises when)... over the past couple updates, Hive has really reached the point where I love the sound and I make presets where I sit there playing them for a long time.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/Hive21-PL5.mp3

Lately, I find the synths I'm most inspired by are the ones I'm least productive on. I just spend so much d*cking around because it sounds cool that I never get anything done.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:29 pm Lately, I find the synths I'm most inspired by are the ones I'm least productive on. I just spend so much d*cking around because it sounds cool that I never get anything done.
Just turn on recording when you do that... then you will have lots of useful material to work with :tu:

pdxindy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:36 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:29 pm Lately, I find the synths I'm most inspired by are the ones I'm least productive on. I just spend so much d*cking around because it sounds cool that I never get anything done.
Just turn on recording when you do that... then you will have lots of useful material to work with :tu:
It's a good tip!

I'm not sure if it would be feasible in terms of the back-end structure, but kind of like how we have quantizers/rectifiers/slew limiters, it might be cool to have clock multipliers/dividers built into the matrix slots for any time-based modulators. Example: Select LFO1 to modulate the parameter X, but then use LFO1 x2 or /2 to modulate parameter Y. Not just for Hive but across the line. If that could be done, it would be particularly cool for RePro where it could essentially allow users to turn a single LFO into multiple.

The Hive update uses about 15% more cpu now...
I’m on Big Sur, iMac Pro 10 Core 2017, Live 11 and Nuendo 11.

Can I revert back to an old installer please & where do I find that?

simmo75 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:11 pm The Hive update uses about 15% more cpu now...

It should actually use less CPU than the previous version, particularly with the UI open. How did you measure that?

Anyhow, pretty much all versions of everything up to now are available for download here:

https://dl.u-he.com/release-archive/

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:01 pm I'm not sure if it would be feasible in terms of the back-end structure, but kind of like how we have quantizers/rectifiers/slew limiters, it might be cool to have clock multipliers/dividers built into the matrix slots for any time-based modulators. Example: Select LFO1 to modulate the parameter X, but then use LFO1 x2 or /2 to modulate parameter Y. Not just for Hive but across the line. If that could be done, it would be particularly cool for RePro where it could essentially allow users to turn a single LFO into multiple.
That's kind of, you know, *very* difficult to do and possibly very confusing.

Urs wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:20 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:01 pm I'm not sure if it would be feasible in terms of the back-end structure, but kind of like how we have quantizers/rectifiers/slew limiters, it might be cool to have clock multipliers/dividers built into the matrix slots for any time-based modulators. Example: Select LFO1 to modulate the parameter X, but then use LFO1 x2 or /2 to modulate parameter Y. Not just for Hive but across the line. If that could be done, it would be particularly cool for RePro where it could essentially allow users to turn a single LFO into multiple.
That's kind of, you know, *very* difficult to do and possibly very confusing.
Yeah, was just tossing it out there to see if it stuck. Was thinking something like this:

https://www.abstractdata.biz/products/e ... /3x/ade32/

...which as I understand it, can allow for different clock divisions on each output. But obviously, that's the modular world and I don't expect Hive and RePro's LFOs have multiple outputs and I didn't imagine that building it wouldn't be trivial. But I can, and will, accept no for an answer. :wink: Thanks anyway!

Urs wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:19 pm
simmo75 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:11 pm The Hive update uses about 15% more cpu now...

It should actually use less CPU than the previous version, particularly with the UI open. How did you measure that?

Anyhow, pretty much all versions of everything up to now are available for download here:

Thanks Urs,
I was really excited but it uses more cpu than most of my plugins now.

simmo75 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:41 pm
Urs wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:19 pm

Thanks Urs,
I was really excited but it uses more cpu than most of my plugins now.
Ok, weird. So how do you measure CPU usage? - Asking because, we would like to try ourselves, but we won't know where too start if we don't know how you got there.

Return to “u-he”