Is Zebra 2 multi channel?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I'm using Zebra 2.2 in AU format. I just wanted to ask if Zebra 2 operates in multiple channels or do you have to load up additional instances of Zebra in order to play multiple midi tracks through Zebra?

Thanks for the feedback!

Nope. You need multiple instances.

Thanks for the info!

This post saves me some money. I almost buyed Zebra2, but multichannel support is critical and I'm surprised what U-He top 200 euro synth doesn't have it, but Hive and Bazzile does. Strange..

SquareBunny wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:32 pm This post saves me some money. I almost buyed Zebra2, but multichannel support is critical and I'm surprised what U-He top 200 euro synth doesn't have it, but Hive and Bazzile does. Strange..
this old thread is talking about multi-timbrality which is a feature most synths don't have anymore as it's usually better left to the host in 99% of circumstances

Still, Zebra does not support MPE though, because that part off the code is from 2004 or so and not really anything we'd like to invest much time into. Surely MPE has become more important in recent years, but, say, NKS has become a magnitude more important, so we chose to rather concentrate on that.

Urs wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:04 am Surely MPE has become more important in recent years, but, say, NKS has become a magnitude more important
Isn't MPE an open standard (or at least it seems to be available on non-Roli hardware), while NKS is just some proprietary NI-only thing (at least I couldn't find any non-NI hardware that supports it)?

Yes, true, and NKS seems to have better market penetration than MPE :)

SquareBunny wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:32 pm This post saves me some money. I almost buyed Zebra2, but multichannel support is critical and I'm surprised what U-He top 200 euro synth doesn't have it, but Hive and Bazzile does. Strange..
All the u-he synths require multiple instances to play multiple presets. None of them are multitimbral.

Why do you consider multi-timbral support critical? We can just do that in our DAW's these days, and usually more easily and more efficiently.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:37 am Yes, true, and NKS seems to have better market penetration than MPE :)
Yup... a lot more people use NKS presets than use MPE... MPE is pretty niche!

I would have assumed SquareBunny meant multi-channel audio e.g. 5.1, until MitchK1989 pointed out the thread was about multi-timbrality. Then Urs introduced (as far as I can tell) the third topic of MPE and now I have no idea what feature SquareBunny wanted.

Hahaha, yes, bit of all over the place.

Here's my take on making sense: OP asks about "multiple MIDI tracks", which I assume means multi-timbrality. Then SquareBunny moves that to multichannel MIDI as far as I can tell, since he says Bazille and Hive have it. Hence, I assume MPE. Then he asks, "why does the top synth not have it?" and I answer with my reasons, using MPE in hopes to figure out if that is what it is about.

Judging by his new question over here viewtopic.php?f=31&t=562457, I'd assume SquareBunny was asking about multi-timbrality all the time.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Is multi timbrality the new retro 'in thing'? Is it another ghastly necessity from the past that we need to drag kicking and screaming out of the grave?

tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:24 am Judging by his new question over here viewtopic.php?f=31&t=562457, I'd assume SquareBunny was asking about multi-timbrality all the time.
Oh... you're right :oops:

Return to “u-he”