Hive 2.X Feature Requests

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Figured there might be useful to have Hive feature request topic :)

Here are some of the features id love to see in future versions:

- More distortion algorhytms
- Global Unison (yes it will increase the CPU Usage)
- Ability to record XY movements and set those to trigger with a key press within the patch
- Another Filter in FX Section

More Mod Slots in the Matrix!

Pulse Width knob that shows up when that waveform is selected. So we don't have to jump to the matrix view for adjusting modulation depth. Or some other way of accomplishing that.

Ability to turn effects on or off by clicking on the headers (or effects on/off buttons). Thinking Izmo in particular.

Hive and Repro: drag and dropping FX order should visually reorder them on the GUI.

I'd support more Mod Slots but frankly never use them all up myself.

Presets by pdxindy. ;)

I think im a minority who thinks that 12 mod slots with 2 targets is enough :) that said for few years i have exensivly used Virus Ti and 6 mod slots (+3 LFO direct target slots) with 3 targets were plenty for me, so im used :-D

Assign any filter type to any engine type and sound design tutorials for hive2 and more tutorials on using and adapting uhm scripts for the differant synthesis types and native hardsync like in Zebra

when Hive opens (for the first time) it initially opens in the view *with* keys
i'd rather prefer one of the matrix views
earlier version (v1.x?) had a ctrl-click menu (?) to save the initial view iirc

not a biggie but always getting reminded to reach for the mouse to change the view is...well...

muki wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:39 pm when Hive opens (for the first time) it initially opens in the view *with* keys
i'd rather prefer one of the matrix views
earlier version (v1.x?) had a ctrl-click menu (?) to save the initial view iirc

not a biggie but always getting reminded to reach for the mouse to change the view is...well...
Don't know if your DAW saves default presets for different devices, but in Bitwig, I saved a default preset for Hive set up how I wish and the default also includes Hive Matrix on page A instead of the keyboard.

For realistic requests that wouldn't wreck the simplicity/cpu friendliness of hive compared to the other u-he offerings:

breaking out the clean/neutral/dirty into per section controls where relevant would be nice (personally I love the dirty mode filters but can't stand the dirty mode unison)
Another page of mod matrix assignments
Both function gens having all four of rise/fall/still/move (if you don't want to clutter up the interface the new additions being "hidden" params that have to be selected via list in the mod matrix would work, or maybe make each ramp still only have two of the four but switchable which two?)
One feature the izmo skin has that I think could be ported to the default without causing problems and would be nice is the ability to use the filter display as an XY pad to control cutoff and resonance simultaneously via mouse
The ability to tempo sync or not the LFOs/Envs/Ramps/Shape Seq rather than some of them being locked to tempo sync and others only in absolute times
More sequencer steps (the 32 x 2 step sequencer in repro-1 is a great compositional tool imo) and/or a rest button

Beyond that I have things I'd like but probably would fundamentally change the synths identity in a way that I don't think everyone would want - hell I might not even want to overcomplicate hive once Z3 comes out and I can do my weirder stuff over there (like 2 more slope generators or some type of 2 or 3 op FM mode for the oscillator section)

Overall I do want to stress that I am super happy with Hive 2.1 as is and if I were to be in charge of putting in exactly what features I want into u-he synths they'd probably all wind up very similar, so I like urs sticking to his guns on his (and presumably his team's) creative vision on each plugin so that when I hit writers block with one I can boot up one of the others.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:11 pm Don't know if your DAW saves default presets for different devices, ...
good idea - thanks
logic my DAW:
custom logic preset -> keyboard view
but when i save it as channelstrip setting it seems to conserve the (saved) matrix view
still: would prefer and love to see the re-introduction of the old possibility...

More mod slots. Edit: and output gain trim for the distortion
Always Read the Manual!

accessdune3 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:43 am - Global Unison (yes it will increase the CPU Usage)
- Another Filter in FX Section
accessdune3 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:44 pm i have exensivly used Virus Ti
I see where you are coming from :tu:

But actually I can't think of any meaningful FR right now, Hive 2.1. gave us plenty of things to play with. I love the sideband filter, suprisingly it somewhat satifsied my wishes for cross-osc FM :shrug: I don't quite undertsand what it does but somehow I manage to pull off these ripping metallic tones similar to the sounds I was getting with the Virus' Pos Tri FM.

Btw here comes a FR (unelss it's possible already) - when I have the first filter routed into the second one I wat to have some sort of gain knob for the first filter output - so that I could balance the volume of the first filter versus the voulme of the oscillators routed into the same filter before the summing signal hits the second filter.

E.g. I have an oscillator processed by sideband in the first filter and then I mute the first filter direct output and route it into the second filter together with the direct output of the same oscillator. And here I want to balance the volume fo the oscilaltor processed by the sideband and the same oscillator not processed by the sideband.

And yes, more mod slots would be nice to have (even despite Virus :) )
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:45 pm
E.g. I have an oscillator processed by sideband in the first filter and then I mute the first filter direct output and route it into the second filter together with the direct output of the same oscillator. And here I want to balance the volume fo the oscilaltor processed by the sideband and the same oscillator not processed by the sideband.

And yes, more mod slots would be nice to have (even despite Virus :) )
I think filter 1 Input is the only way to control the balance between the two. But that can also affect the sonic result of the filter...

pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:31 pm I think filter 1 Input is the only way to control the balance between the two.
Yes, I think that's how it is
pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:31 pm But that can also affect the sonic result of the filter...
And that's what I want to avoid

recursive one wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:35 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:31 pm I think filter 1 Input is the only way to control the balance between the two.
pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:31 pm But that can also affect the sonic result of the filter...
You do have the mix control in the Sideband filter...

pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:47 pm
recursive one wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:35 pm
You do have the mix control in the Sideband filter...
Good point.

But it's still a workaround. E.g. I want to mix something processed with the sideband with another ocillator, not processed by the sideband, this won't help.

Generally speaking, sideband (and the other new filers) changes the sound quite a bit in a way very different to what "normal" filters do. I see these more as a kind of oscillator effects rather than filters. At that sideband may produce a lot of sharp and harsh high frequenices which I want to filter out with the second filter. So I rarely use direct output of the sideband and prefer routing it to the second filter - and this is why I want to have a gain staging control here, that is between the first and the second filter.

Mixing sideband with unprocessed signal is just one possible case, actually since Hive's filters depend on the input gain (I think they do, correct me if I'm wrong) such "between filters" gain control must make some sense in every case you route one filter into another.

Return to “u-he”