Viper|1.2.2 update with bugfixes and new skin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

when the import .mid banks will be implemented, will definitely think about buy the Viper;)

To advocate the author - it’s not a Virus exact model or recreation, it’s a (perhaps the closest) approximation. Nevertheless, it’s not really reasonable to think that bank import really feasible.
There are other synths which have some traits of Virus - e.g. Dune or Sylenth. Can you think that “it’s 2 times easier to implement the import for Dune than for Massive, and 2 time easier - for Viper comparing to Dune”?
Doesn’t work this way
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

I just bought this because I like to have a virus architecture / sound detached from my hardware. The snow is the only hardware synth that I still have, and now I'm glad I can update some projects that I wanted to remaster with viper equivalent patches.

But I'd like to ask a few questions:

1. will there be a vst3 version ?
2. can the browser be updated to work with cursor (arrow) key navigation ?

Dencheg wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:37 am There are other synths which have some traits of Virus - e.g. Dune or Sylenth.
Not to cause a big discussion about other synths here, but, I always wonder what some see in Dune that they think it's close to the Virus. They couldn't be further from each other, in terms of sound, IMO. Dune really has nothing of the punch, the full sound, and the pure power that the Virus has. Or the "fizzy scrubbing" when using unison. Dune is clean, behaved and soft. Good for Ambient soundscapes, but, nothing I would use for aggressive and punchy sounds.

Sylenth1 doesn't sound like a Virus much either to me. Even though it's surely closer than Dune, when it comes to punch, and "pound" to the sound. Apart from Viper, I really only see Spire which goes in that direction (not exactly the same, of course).

chk071 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:31 pm
Dencheg wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:37 am There are other synths which have some traits of Virus - e.g. Dune or Sylenth.
Not to cause a big discussion about other synths here, but, I always wonder what some see in Dune that they think it's close to the Virus. They couldn't be further from each other, in terms of sound, IMO. Dune really has nothing of the punch, the full sound, and the pure power that the Virus has. Or the "fizzy scrubbing" when using unison. Dune is clean, behaved and soft. Good for Ambient soundscapes, but, nothing I would use for aggressive and punchy sounds.

Sylenth1 doesn't sound like a Virus much either to me. Even though it's surely closer than Dune, when it comes to punch, and "pound" to the sound. Apart from Viper, I really only see Spire which goes in that direction (not exactly the same, of course).
Architecture of Dune 3 is similar to Virus. 3 Oscillators (virus has a 4th - sub, but Dune 3 unison is configurable), ring modulation, noise, 2 Filters, filter distortions, 8 voice unison. With how versitile Dune 3 is (you can create punch effect as example), you can create various type of sounds that are very convincing virus-like, (i have virus by the way) especialy with AB-ing :)

Yeah, that was more elaborate answer. I'd just mention the unison engine, with some fine control over the voice distribution.
And of course I'd use Dune for aggressive and punchy sounds as well ;)

But not to derail the topic - I think Viper is cool :phones:
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Aside from Viper, Dune 3 is the closest to Virus TI in therms of the architecture and features, accessdune3 has put it well (no wonder, with such a username :) ). But I don't think they are very similar sonically - I have both as well. A hypothetical Virus -> Dune3 patch convernter - I don't see how it would be supposed to work, or how it would make any sense because even if you copy the patch design where possible you'll likely end up with a very different sound.

Soncially, I think Spire captures Virus' clean and hi-fi side (commercial trance/EDM), Hive2 captures it's darker, grittier and quirkier side (psytrance/industrial and such) and Viper does both. But Dune3 has a very different character to my ears, I never thought about it as a Virus substitute (like I think about Viper, Spire and Hive).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

accessdune3 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:13 pm

Architecture of Dune 3 is similar to Virus. 3 Oscillators (virus has a 4th - sub, but Dune 3 unison is configurable), ring modulation, noise, 2 Filters, filter distortions, 8 voice unison. With how versitile Dune 3 is (you can create punch effect as example), you can create various type of sounds that are very convincing virus-like, (i have virus by the way) especialy with AB-ing :)
Dune is too i dunno..velvety? to pull off the Virus. Even though i know there are a lot of main room Tarnce presets for it, i don't really find that synth at all geared to making them because of its sound engine. Virus sounds ballsy, Dune sounds tame and it has really weird envelopes in both analog and digital modes. I feel the same about the Synapse analog models too. They have none of the raunch of either of those synths they claim to be exact models of.considering Dune doesn't and has not ever claimed to be a Virus emulation, i can give it a pass but i'll never understand the praise for The Legend and OBSESSION(latter one is mega overrated)I am sure they are great synths for most if you exclude the marketing about them being accurate models blah de blah..

Not that familiar with Spire, but one VSTI i would say can almost stand toe to toe with the Virus is Rapid..it can do that same high energy fizz shit that a lot of those older VA's do with the filter open

Ignore me though..i'm one of those weird people who would choose a JP8080, Nordlead , Virus, AN1X over pretty much any VSTI aliasing be damned :party:
I

TIMT wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:07 pm Dune is too i dunno..velvety? to pull off the Virus. Even though i know there are a lot of main room Tarnce presets for it, i don't really find that synth at all geared to making them because of its sound engine. Virus sounds ballsy, Dune sounds tame and it has really weird envelopes in both analog and digital modes.
+1
TIMT wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:07 pm one VSTI i would say can almost stand toe to toe with the Virus is Rapid..it can do that same high energy fizz shit that a lot of those older VA's do with the filter open
+many

I also find Rapid a lot similar to Virus for some sounds, and it does have some of that raw power I love about Virus. It's not often mentioned in the context of Virus emulations/replacements but yes, it can do some Virus-esque stuff really well.

And it can do the Formant Shift :tu:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:59 pm Aside from Viper, Dune 3 is the closest to Virus TI in therms of the architecture and features, accessdune3 has put it well (no wonder, with such a username :) ). But I don't think they are very similar sonically - I have both as well. A hypothetical Virus -> Dune3 patch convernter - I don't see how it would be supposed to work, or how it would make any sense because even if you copy the patch design where possible you'll likely end up with a very different sound.

Soncially, I think Spire captures Virus' clean and hi-fi side (commercial trance/EDM), Hive2 captures it's darker, grittier and quirkier side (psytrance/industrial and such) and Viper does both. But Dune3 has a very different character to my ears, I never thought about it as a Virus substitute (like I think about Viper, Spire and Hive).
Very well said. I also noticed that different synth can capture different sides of virus sound, but only Viper can capture all the sides virus. Talking about the Dune 3, it can sound virusy, but you really have sculpt it. Giving a little bit of distortion (try halfrect filter effect) opens up that agression, add some EQ at the mids to boost it. But yes in general sonic character is different. Not to say Dune 3 better or worse or is virus like. But i dont think it matter these days if you use virus or not, because so many complex synths can give such a wide palette of high quality sounds that in the end you only need to worry about producing great music.

TIMT wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:07 pm
accessdune3 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:13 pm

Dune is too i dunno..velvety? to pull off the Virus. Even though i know there are a lot of main room Tarnce presets for it, i don't really find that synth at all geared to making them because of its sound engine. Virus sounds ballsy, Dune sounds tame and it has really weird envelopes in both analog and digital modes. I feel the same about the Synapse analog models too. They have none of the raunch of either of those synths they claim to be exact models of.
Exactly!

Anyway, sorry for offtopicing this thread, I guess it's not fair to hold a discussion about other synths here. :) Just felt like I had to disagree about Dune being similar to the Virus, which I read more than once here and elsewhere, and I just don't understand. I understand that the architecture is somewhat alike (even thoug... it's different), but, sound wise, I think they're more or less the complete opposite. Which is fair, Dune does its own thing, which is good, if you happen to like its character. I for one love its architecture, but, the sound doesn't do anything for me.

chk071 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:31 pmDune really has nothing of the punch, the full sound, and the pure power that the Virus has. Or the "fizzy scrubbing" when using unison. Dune is clean, behaved and soft. Good for Ambient soundscapes, but, nothing I would use for aggressive and punchy sounds.
Absolute rubbish. You can hear DUNE all over our last album and if you listen and can't work out which synth is DUNE, most of the time it is the most aggressive sounding patch in the arrangement. I have never heard a Virus sound as aggressive as you can make DUNE. To be fair, that's largely because the types of sounds I can pick as a Virus tend not t be too full-on so it's possible I just don't realise what I'm listening to is a Virus patch but to even suggest DUNE doesn't have an aggressive side to its nature is ridiculous. Here are a few examples.
DUNE comes in a 58 seconds here - https://youtu.be/NrQ_ONV2km8?t=58
This one starts to jump out a bit at 1:30 and really gets going at 1:39 - https://youtu.be/Ig-O-cBgHgE?t=90

Here DUNE starts with the bassline, just a few seconds in, playing the riff on the off-beats - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfuCH2SgFRI

And remember, this is a synth I hate using, so if it was hard to get aggressive sounds from it, I'd use something else but the reality is that it's hard to make anything else I own sound as full-on, punchy and aggressive as DUNE.
Sylenth1 doesn't sound like a Virus much either to me. Even though it's surely closer than Dune, when it comes to punch, and "pound" to the sound.
Is this a wind-up? Sylenth 1 is hopeless compared to either a Virus or DUNE. There is bugger-all aggressiveness in it unless you work to put it there.
TIMT wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:07 pmVirus sounds ballsy, Dune sounds tame and it has really weird envelopes in both analog and digital modes.
If you believe that, then you can't possibly have any idea what you are doing. For a start, DUNE has MSEGs, so you can have any style of envelope you want. It is one of the ballsiest synths you will ever work with. If you want it to be, it can be like 8 Viruses stacked on top of each other.
recursive one wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:59 pm I never thought about it as a Virus substitute (like I think about Viper, Spire and Hive).
They are all very versatile synths, they can all do any of it. To think otherwise is to limit yourself and your music. Mind you, I think the entire concept of trying to make one synth sound exactly like another is ridiculous anyway - it's the seed that leads to your type of thinking.

Surely when you hear a really good patch from a synth, it inspires you to try and make something even better, not just to make something the same? There has never been a time in the 40 years I've been doing this when I thought I needed a particular synth to do a particular thing. If I hear a sound I like, I think about how I would make it with what's in front of me. I don't even want to know what instrument was originally used to create it because I don't see how that matters.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I agree that une, while nice sounding, doesn't really sound like a Virus, but I don't think that's what the point of it was.

For me just Viper and ANA2 can do Virus type sounds.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:46 am I agree that une, while nice sounding, doesn't really sound like a Virus, but I don't think that's what the point of it was.

For me just Viper and ANA2 can do Virus type sounds.
Ana2 is underrated sadly. It may look kinda meh but I have heard miracles come from it

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”