Hive 2.1: new sonic territory

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:45 pm
simmo75 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:41 pm
Urs wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:19 pm
simmo75 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:11 pm The Hive update uses about 15% more cpu now...
I’m on Big Sur, iMac Pro 10 Core 2017, Live 11 and Nuendo 11.

Can I revert back to an old installer please & where do I find that?
It should actually use less CPU than the previous version, particularly with the UI open. How did you measure that?

Anyhow, pretty much all versions of everything up to now are available for download here:

https://dl.u-he.com/release-archive/
Thanks Urs,
I was really excited but it uses more cpu than most of my plugins now.
Ok, weird. So how do you measure CPU usage? - Asking because, we would like to try ourselves, but we won't know where too start if we don't know how you got there.
I’m just using the DAW performance meter for Live 11 and Nuendo 11, nothing crazy scientific, I’m a musician :)

Cool, then we'll have a look!

What patch? Under what conditions (how many sustained notes, etc.)? What version of Hive are you comparing to when you say 15% more? GUI open or closed make a difference?

I get that you're not doing anything crazy scientific but you're saying it's using 15% more than the old one but it also sounds like you haven't done a direct comparison of the two. So is it really using 15% more playing the same notes on the same patch or do you just think it's using more without having done more extensive comparison? Details are very important.

Older versions should be here: https://dl.u-he.com/release-archive/hive

Try a direct compare (if you haven't already) and report back.

Hive has always been super low cpu hit for me, one instance used approx 2-3% cpu in Live 11.
Now I’ve updated I’m seeing 15 to 17%.

It now causes Live 11’s GUI to glitch out and Hive 2.1’s GUI glitches out too and is really sluggish.

Maybe it could be something to do with my iMac Pro’s graphics card.

@simmo75: You ran both Hive versions in Live 11? I'll tell the guys in Berlin…

Spent some time comparing sounds among the linux releases, and Hive 2.1 seems
to be using more cpu than Zebra and ACE, in the ballpark with Repro 1, and probably less
than Repro 5 if considering polyphony, and a bit less than Diva on similar sounds.
But those are quick impressions, not in spreadsheet detail.

I would expect that result, because Hive sounds so good. And I suspect that sound design
skills improving over time, have a lot to do with lowering cpu use over the same time.
And brilliant effects can be deployed that bump the cpu readings back up again.

I hope miracles of optimization are discovered, that make an entire product line
use drastically less resources to produce comparable sounds, but even then,
it's not like fitting for new shoes, where a few different sizes are all that's needed.
Cheers

Here are our findings, using Live's CPU meter and comparing to top in the command line.

Live solo (no plugin loaded):

Live 10: top 12-14%, Live average: 1-2%
Live 11: top 12-14%, Live average: 1%

9709 (2.0.1)

10: Hive GUI open, not playing: top 28%, Live average 8-9%
10: Hive GUI open, playing startup preset: top 46%, Live average 18-20%
10: Hive GUI closed, not playing: top 22%, Live average 10-12%
10: Hive GUI closed, playing: top 33%, Live average 18-20%

11: Hive GUI open, not playing: top 58-60%, Live average 8-9%, current 15-30%
11: Hive GUI open, playing startup preset: top 76%, Live average 18-20%, current 20-40%
11: Hive GUI closed, not playing: top 22%, average 10-12%, current 20-30%
11: Hive GUI closed, playing: top 33%, average 18-20%, current 20-40%

11037 (2.1)

10: Hive GUI open, not playing: top 58-60% , Live average 8-9%
10: Hive GUI open, playing startup preset: top 75%, Live average 17-20%
10: Hive GUI closed, not playing: top 22%, Live average 8-10%
10: Hive GUI closed, playing: top 32%, Live average 18-20%

11: Hive GUI open, not playing: top 58-60%, Live average 8-9%, current 15-30%
11: Hive GUI open, playing startup preset: top 74%, Live average 15-18%, current 20-40%
11: Hive GUI closed, not playing: top 22%, average 8-9%, current 20-30%
11: Hive GUI closed, playing: top 30%, average 17-18%, current 20-40%

Note that the biggest difference is in Live's CPU metering is happening from Live 10 -> Live 11, but overall Hive 2.1 performs a tad better on our testing system.

An interesting tidbit is that our old Hive UI which was behaving "sluggish" was using less CPU when used in Live 10 than it does in Live 11. Our new "non-sluggish" GUI uses the same CPU in the background, according to top, but simply isn't sluggish anymore.

Hehehe, check this out, too:

https://oddsound.com

Now that it's official, Hive 2.1 is also our first product to support it. All other plug-ins following shortly.

Urs wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:15 pm Hehehe, check this out, too:

Now that it's official, Hive 2.1 is also our first product to support it. All other plug-ins following shortly.
Interesting... will check it out! (thanks for the heads-up)

Aphex Twin Hive 2 soundset incoming ^^
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Urs wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:15 pm Now that it's official, Hive 2.1 is also our first product to support it. All other plug-ins following shortly.
Thank you for taking part in this! Brilliant stuff.

nilhartman wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:55 pm Aphex Twin Hive 2 soundset incoming ^^
Serious? Or joke?
:D :o

Joke... they approached us because they "needed" Diva to support this. Coming up shortly.

and please rePro too :-)

and ACE

and all the others :-)

Urs wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:15 pm Hehehe, check this out, too:

Hi Urs, is there a way to turn this feature off if I don't want hive to pull tuning data from the oddsound master plugin but I am using the oddsound stuff elsewhere?

Return to “u-he”