PLASMONIC - A new synth from Brian Clevinger

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Absynth Plasmonic

Think I found another bug , or let's say some nasty artifacts
Choose saw oscillator and route it into filter , low pass filter it to around around 3oo hz
Enable the saturation module and pull back the input to -12 db , some nasty artifacts appear .
This happens with all the saturation modes , and I suspect that is because the saturation is actually a wavefom used as a transfer function ...
Hope he solves this

For some reason , the support mail adres is not recognized with gmail ..

Anyone else having no luck modulating the lfo speed by another lfo , the rate parameter doesn't bring up the mod system .

People should not underestimate plasmonic for pure va/subtractive duties , it is verry capable and I am loving the filter ..sounds abs.great
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:30 am Think I found another bug , or let's say some nasty artifacts
yes
i can confirm

also, although less noticable, with other waveforms

also, when the osc shape is set to sine,
even without distortion, and only routed via an open LP filter,
there is also quite a lot of foldback aliasing going on
starting at about 12kHz...
...but that's probably another "thing"... ;-)

well...

Got a reply from brian , he is looking into it but he says there are also sound designers who like the artifacts as an effect .
It doesn’t bother me so much anymore , since everything else is so well executed
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

yes
and those artifact sort of vanish when the distortion gain goes up to 0 and above
and those artefacts seem to be quite sympathetic with the base sound
(contraty to aliasing, where the foldback-artifacts move in opposite direction of the base, which makes them quite ugly)

so, i personally don't care that much,
also considering that imho distortion (in the digital world) should be handled with care anyways

but definitely good find and thank you! :-)

Please tell Brian that I really like anti-aliasing... :P

inspiring sound design video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwVq7dYDOUk

one question to cine.

out of which modules do you get your brass sounds?

I just have started getting my hands dirty with programming plasmonic and would very much appreciate to know which modules you turn on to get into that direction.

cheers

100% Plasmonic. 100% controlled by eurorack modules. :-)
Details in the video and related playlists in the video page.

http://youtu.be/NuUn2_SSXb4

100% off-topic, but I kept thinking what the Plasmonic inteface reminds me of. Then I got it, I was trying to recall this old Kawai K1 editor I made with my friend in the early 90's on the good old Amiga. I get really strong 90's/Amiga vibes from the Plasmonic GUI! Whether that's a good or bad thing, can't really say... :lol:
---
k1 editor 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ah, the Amiga. Only computer I have ever loved :-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It's a good thing!

SLiC wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:16 am Ah, the Amiga. Only computer I have ever loved :-)
Are you still married?

Some Plasmonic pads animated with Motor:

https://youtu.be/mpNO30TWDtI

And then some ambient with all sounds generated by Plasmonic except the pad:

https://youtu.be/3VJ4uc8LNLA

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:30 am Think I found another bug , or let's say some nasty artifacts
Choose saw oscillator and route it into filter , low pass filter it to around around 3oo hz
Enable the saturation module and pull back the input to -12 db , some nasty artifacts appear .
This happens with all the saturation modes , and I suspect that is because the saturation is actually a wavefom used as a transfer function ...
Hope he solves this

For some reason , the support mail adres is not recognized with gmail ..

Anyone else having no luck modulating the lfo speed by another lfo , the rate parameter doesn't bring up the mod system .

People should not underestimate plasmonic for pure va/subtractive duties , it is verry capable and I am loving the filter ..sounds abs.great
I've already reported those bugs (page 63), but there were no replies:

- Anyone noticed upper-frequency distortion introduced by multimode filter? Try passing a pure sine through it and playing some higher notes. If you can't hear it use FFT analyzer to see when and where it happens, but I think it is easily audible.

- Saturation introduces harsh "digital" distortion at lower gains. All three modes do that, in different amounts. If you push gain higher that distortion lowers and normal harmonic saturation gradually takes over.

Personally, I don't like digital distortion and would gladly avoid it, especially in an instrument that sounds semi-realistic as this one.

Return to “Instruments”