Hive 2.X Feature Requests

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

more "character" filter types, multi-band compressor?

recursive one wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:35 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:31 pm But that can also affect the sonic result of the filter...
And that's what I want to avoid
Switch the engine to CLEAN so that filter input levels don't affect the sound.

Howard wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:12 pm
recursive one wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:35 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:31 pm But that can also affect the sonic result of the filter...
And that's what I want to avoid
Switch the engine to CLEAN so that filter input levels don't affect the sound.
Still a workaround which won't always work because switching the engine changes the sound of sideband as well. :)

All in all, i want a gain knob between the first and the second filter.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

The big feature I'm still missing after 2.1 are MSEGs like in Zebra.

The shape sequencers are fun and all but but I almost never use them because they are so limiting.

pierb wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:02 pmThe shape sequencers are fun and all but but I almost never use them because they are so limiting.
I suggest you give them more chance... I think they are less limiting than they seem at first.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:24 pm I suggest you give them more chance... I think they are less limiting than they seem at first.
There's some overlap with MSEGs, but shapes are a different tool... and I just wish Hive had MSEGs that's all.

I don't think that's going to happen.

pierb wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:24 am
pdxindy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:24 pm I suggest you give them more chance... I think they are less limiting than they seem at first.
There's some overlap with MSEGs, but shapes are a different tool... and I just wish Hive had MSEGs that's all.
The Shape Sequencers ARE MSEG's...

pdxindy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:13 pm
pierb wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:24 am
The Shape Sequencers ARE MSEG's...
Yes. They compromise freedom of complexity for fast workflow.

They are very similar to other segment based envelopes in Omnisphere and the original Massive, but even simpler and yet, to some degree, even more flexible.

The idea to "get away with this kind of simplicity" is - like so often - based on studying hundreds of presets in synths with complex envelopes. Which came to the result that "why not cover 90% of cases with half the effort?". This has been the mantra of Hive all along, and I think there is quite an advantage to that kind fo thinking. IMHO there are fewer presets based on "arbitrariness" and more presets based on deliberate choice, which in turn make "more sense", if that makes any sense...?

Hmm to tell you the truth i disagree. The way i use msegs Shape sequencer offers me a slower workflow.

accessdune3 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:36 pm Hmm to tell you the truth i disagree. The way i use msegs Shape sequencer offers me a slower workflow.
Swings and roundabouts/can't please everyone! For me personally I find them quick and more importantly, fun to use. I've barely touched MSEGs in other synths including Zebra because I find them cumbersome to work with.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:44 pm
accessdune3 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:36 pm Hmm to tell you the truth i disagree. The way i use msegs Shape sequencer offers me a slower workflow.
Swings and roundabouts/can't please everyone! For me personally I find them quick and more importantly, fun to use. I've barely touched MSEGs in other synths including Zebra because I find them cumbersome to work with.
I really see this only relevant if your workflow meets this kind of style. The way i see msegs as a free-hand drawable envelope where i can make various shapes and their lenghts i want. I can understand tho where some are coming from. Zebra, massive msegs are outdated and not fun to use where's Dune 3 and Serum is :-D

accessdune3 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:07 pm... are outdated and not fun to use
Quickest way to persuade developer to follow your ideas.

Urs wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:43 pm
accessdune3 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:07 pm... are outdated and not fun to use
Quickest way to persuade developer to follow your ideas.
I'm sorry if I offended but just try to use msegs on serum and dune 3, it's so smooth and easy to use. Or another example Shaperbox by cable guys :-)

P.s. i bought and i love Zebra 2/hz :-)

Serum doesn't actually have a proper MSEG... it's just a single cycle LFO editor. An MSEG is not supposed to have limitation in the time axis.

Dune's MSEG is kinda weird to use. I wouldn't take it as the best example of a great MSEG.

Return to “u-he”