Do you ever strum using just your finger nails?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yep, although it's just the edge of a thumbnail.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

down with the fingers, up with the thumb sometimes, if it's a slow song, but otherwise always a plec

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:49 am I like to grow them, then cut them, stick all the bits together, and use it as a plectrum.
Plectrums are fairly cheap you know, I wouldn't go to all that trouble mate, you need to stop watching Blue Peter, they lost me with paper mache. :roll:
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

Jafo wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:26 pm Yep, although it's just the edge of a thumbnail.
I strike the strings with my fingers.

AnX wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:35 pm down with the fingers, up with the thumb sometimes, if it's a slow song, but otherwise always a plec
Never tried up with the thumb only down with the fingers, I'll have to try that.

I use the back of my index fingernail. On both electric and acoustic, I find it gives me a tone I can't get with a pick. I'm not a tone snob, I just think I have slightly more control than with a pick for the kind of playing I do.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Henry Jimdrix wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:18 pm
AnX wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:35 pm down with the fingers, up with the thumb sometimes, if it's a slow song, but otherwise always a plec
Never tried up with the thumb only down with the fingers, I'll have to try that.
dirty old town, great track for that! :tu:

Nope. The only thing I grove my nails a bit for is to strum my exhaust pipe. :-P

I often do. I feel I have more control of the sound and expression when I leave my pick in the case and use my finger nails.

All the time.

In the pre-internet age I lived miles away from guitar stores and I was always dirt cheap broke. Back then I'd fold up match books into triangle shapes and when I ran out of them the only way I was going to play guitar was with my fingers. Thinking of myself as mainly a rhythm guitarist to accompany vocalists I just did. I didn't study how to I just figured it out on my electric guitar as that was my only option.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:34 pm I use the back of my index fingernail. On both electric and acoustic, I find it gives me a tone I can't get with a pick. I'm not a tone snob, I just think I have slightly more control than with a pick for the kind of playing I do.
Yes you do get a unique sound that you can't get with a pick, I think i want to say it''s a brighter sound.

tapper mike wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:10 pm All the time.

In the pre-internet age I lived miles away from guitar stores and I was always dirt cheap broke. Back then I'd fold up match books into triangle shapes and when I ran out of them the only way I was going to play guitar was with my fingers. Thinking of myself as mainly a rhythm guitarist to accompany vocalists I just did. I didn't study how to I just figured it out on my electric guitar as that was my only option.
Wow,. times must have been tough.

Well I can never find any of the picks I bought when I do pick up the guitar so

Yes
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Sometimes. More often by far for acoustic or bass though. I prefer to use a pick for electrics.

edit: Oh, fingernails? Nope. Fingers, yes.

I've had this obsession with fingernail playing like a classical guitarist for years. The tone has more focus and clarity, as well one can fingerpick with nails considerably faster than without. I just couldn't grow them due to my manual labor jobs. Last year that ended and I could grow a decent set of nails. It has pluses and minuses. I could no longer tap and pick like I'm used to because my nails would get beat up buy the strings. I play overhand chords with my picking hand. So I decided to give tapping a break for awhile. I actually went back to using flesh on strings as opposed to nails on strings for a number of reasons. Mostly scratch tone no matter how well my nails were filed and the inability to tap like I used to.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Guitars”